Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Granite countertops- why not?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:00 pm
list all negatives, please. thanks!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:39 pm
Need to upkeep / reseal often. But darker counter tops don't need as much maintenance.

mommyla

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:49 pm
I have dark granite. I seal yearly. Love it! Only con is that you have to visit the stone yards (sometimes several) to find the right slab, unless you're happy with builder's-grade, very uniform, speckly granite.

(ETA: sealing is not a big deal, you can do it yourself. Just clean the counters and spray them with a special spray.)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:30 pm
mommyla wrote:
I have dark granite. I seal yearly. Love it! Only con is that you have to visit the stone yards (sometimes several) to find the right slab, unless you're happy with builder's-grade, very uniform, speckly granite.

(ETA: sealing is not a big deal, you can do it yourself. Just clean the counters and spray them with a special spray.)
Which spray do you recommend?

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:38 pm
What happens if granite isn't sealed?

mommyla

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:41 pm
Weiman's

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:43 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
What happens if granite isn't sealed?

Items sitting on the counter can stain it (more so if it's too light like almost white, and you need to know how porous your stone it too, you can tell by the feel usually).
If it's sealed, no worries. Granite is awesome.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:48 pm
mommyla wrote:
Weiman's

This one?
http://m.target.com/p/weiman-1.....aw.ds
And is that different than the Weiman's granite cleaner spray I use on occasion?

mommyla

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This one?
http://m.target.com/p/weiman-1.....aw.ds
And is that different than the Weiman's granite cleaner spray I use on occasion?

Yes, that one! I don't know if it's different, I just clean it with soap and water.

L K

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 11:25 pm
What to do if granite has lots of small nicks and some larger chipped spots?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:06 am
I chose Quartzite over granite (note this is note quartz which man made, rather Quartzite which is natural stone). It is more expensive, but it is also harder, more durable and comes in much nicer designs. I love mine.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:02 am
Anyone ever hear of pouring baby oil on granite counter tops and letting it sit for a few hours to seal it?

That's what the granite guy said to do once a year.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:42 am
ra_mom wrote:
Items sitting on the counter can stain it (more so if it's too light like almost white, and you need to know how porous your stone it too, you can tell by the feel usually).
If it's sealed, no worries. Granite is awesome.

I've found that water or oil will leave a dark stain on the granite but it disappears after a day or two. They don't leave permanent stains. That's why I'm wondering.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:43 am
I don't understand. If granite is porous, any liquid sealer or oil that is applied will sink into the granite. How does sealer protect the granite?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen