Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
How to make roast feed 10...

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:35 am
I have a medium sized roast and need it to feed 6 adults + 4 young children. I'll be making a chicken dish too, but also only enough for everyone to have 1/8 chicken. How should I make the beef to get the most out of it? Should I just slice it thin, or maybe shred it? Or is there anything I could put with it to bulk it out?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:51 am
I would cook it with vegetables and slice thinly. I hope you're also making side dishes. The roast does shrink, so medium now is not necessarily medium later.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:15 am
You can definitely stretch with Asian noodle pasta with roast beef. You slice it thin and cut into strips (I prefer mine medium but it's your choice). Soak thin egg noodle or rice noodle in boiling hot water for 3min then drain. Mix in julienned vegetables (carrots, red/yellow peppers, courgettes, Chinese cabbages, water chestnuts, green beans, mangetout, boiled babycorn just for ideas), chopped salad onions/scallions, beansprouts. Pour and mix well with dressing made from 2tbsp toasted sesame oil, 1 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, a dash of chili (if you like sweet you can add honey/sugar). Scatter roast beef on top, garnish with cashew nuts and coriander leaves.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 3:25 pm
Thanks for the ideas! Asian noodle pasta sounds great but I'm not sure if the kids will go for it.

I will make lots of sides, but those will be the only protein dishes. I wonder if I should add something else instead, maybe ground meat as well?

Trying not to buy more meat if I can help it!

I could make something with eggs maybe, some kind of quiche-like kugel?

naomi2

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:24 pm
Above Asian noodles sound great and lovely idea. I've done it with skirt steak strips before. If you think the kids won't go for it just do sesame noodles with or without sesame. Some scallions and parsley for color

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:45 pm
If it's a roast, it might be too tough for the asian noodle dish. I'd use a better cut of steak for that.

Cut the roast into chunks, douse with BBQ sauce, and cook in the crock pot. Shred the meat with two forks, and serve with hamburger buns. Even kids love that.

You could also make beef stew (cut roast into one inch cubes), and put it in the crock pot with sliced onions, button mushrooms, and cubed potatoes. Add a cup of dry red wine, and some freshly grated pepper. This is best done in a slow cooker as well. If you want to really make it fancy, add some paprika, and then when you're done cooking add a pint of Tofutti brand "Better than Sour Cream" and stir in until sauce is smooth. Serve with wide egg noodles. My DH loves this!

cbg

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:06 pm
1/4 lb of roast per person should be more than enough
Plus you have chicken
Plus you have side dishes
Slice the roast thinly and I think you'll be fine.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 9:20 am
I just wanted to clarify, I was assuming OP was using meat for dry-roast, (like rib eye or prime bola). If it's meat meant for POT-roasting (like side bola), I agree with FranticFrummie it would be too tough. You can still cook slow and low with liquid/gravy, then shred and use them. Keep it medium (still pink in the centre), and marinating in pureed fresh pineapple definitely helps.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 1:03 pm
Riff wrote:
Thanks for the ideas! Asian noodle pasta sounds great but I'm not sure if the kids will go for it.

I will make lots of sides, but those will be the only protein dishes. I wonder if I should add something else instead, maybe ground meat as well?

Trying not to buy more meat if I can help it!

I could make something with eggs maybe, some kind of quiche-like kugel?

Do not add another meat. If you want more protein, I would make a salad that has protein, like something with quinoa or beans.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics