Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Office job salary
1  2  3  Next

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 4:02 pm
Hi, Im wondering what the salary should be for a office job(not simple secretary work..) 5 years experience in Rockland County / North Jersey..
Whats the average? f/t or p/t

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, Im wondering what the salary should be for a office job(not simple secretary work..) 5 years experience in Rockland County / North Jersey..
Whats the average? f/t or p/t

Depends on the job requirements. The office I'm in has loads of room for growth. The starting salary is peanuts, but bonuses start being paid within the first year. For an employee that's with the company for 5 years and the company is very happy with, annual income can be $50k.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
Depends on the job requirements. The office I'm in has loads of room for growth. The starting salary is peanuts, but bonuses start being paid within the first year. For an employee that's with the company for 5 years and the company is very happy with, annual income can be $50k.

part time or full time?

iamamother

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 9:04 pm
bumping this up... I want to hear more abt ppls experiences on this...

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:42 am
So many factors fall into play:

- what is your job description?
- what is the office for? business, management, grocery, etc
- how much responsibility do you have?
- how long have you been working there?
- full time or part time?
- how many other people work in the office/do the same work as you?
- how much experience do you have?
- do you have a degree or education in this specific area you work in?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:47 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
So many factors fall into play:

- what is the office for? business, management, grocery, etc
- how long have you been working there?
- full time or part time?
- how many other people work in the office/do the same work as you?
- how much experience do you have?
- do you have a degree or education in this specific area you work in?

- what is the office for? business, management, grocery, etc business
- how long have you been working there? 4 years
- full time or part time? part time
- how many other people work in the office/do the same work as you? none
- how much experience do you have? 4 years
- do you have a degree or education in this specific area you work in? no

I was trying to figure out if I was making too little,
(I think I was).. also, if I were to look for another job, what salary am I looking at?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:56 am
I've been working for 6 yrs for the same company for full time. It's a commercial mortgage company with abt 30 employees (mostly brokers). My responsibilities include database management and really anything to do with the database including working on different projects to customize the system. I also import data from different vendors into our database. I also do lead distribution and data entry on the brokers deal information... Also some random things here and there... And there's no one else that does the exact same thing as me... Although there is someone that does do some of it when needed- but def not the database stuff...

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
I've been working for 6 yrs for the same company for full time. It's a commercial mortgage company with abt 30 employees (mostly brokers). My responsibilities include database management and really anything to do with the database including working on different projects to customize the system. I also import data from different vendors into our database. I also do lead distribution and data entry on the brokers deal information... Also some random things here and there...

r u previous iamamother ? or new poster?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
r u previous iamamother ? or new poster?

im just another person wondering if im getting paid enough! Wink

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 9:59 pm
amother wrote:
im just another person wondering if im getting paid enough! Wink

oh welcome to the club Smile

I hope we get responses..

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:

Is 50k for a full time job considered nice?? I can't imagine living with that as my cap! (I work part time and make a lot less but would expect to get a lot more than 50,000 after 5 years. If I'd get paid at my current rate for full time I'd be making almost 42,000 and that's after only 1 year)

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:20 am
For an office job it is usually broken down to per hour (at least offices in my area anyway).

Meaning part time is 20-25 hours a week at $15 per hour (the higher end of average beginners office salary) is $15K-19K
Not very much.

Getting $50K a year and working part time $38 per hour. That seems WAY above normal to me. If you are getting that in an office position, with no degree, and working part time, that is a VERY nice salary.

Since your 4 years of experience is only in that specific office, it really depends a lot on how much value you have to your bosses. I take it quite a good value due to the 4 years, and no other co workers.
if you google average salary as office administrator the average is $41K and that is full time. Making it $20 per hour.

http://www.payscale.com/resear.....alary

So not knowing exactly what you do, what work specifically, but if I was your employer I would probably have started you on $15 ph, with a raise each year of $1-3. So at this point I would probably say approximately $25 ($28 if you were full time).

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 11:03 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
For an office job it is usually broken down to per hour (at least offices in my area anyway).

Meaning part time is 20-25 hours a week at $15 per hour (the higher end of average beginners office salary) is $15K-19K
Not very much.

Getting $50K a year and working part time $38 per hour. That seems WAY above normal to me. If you are getting that in an office position, with no degree, and working part time, that is a VERY nice salary.

Since your 4 years of experience is only in that specific office, it really depends a lot on how much value you have to your bosses. I take it quite a good value due to the 4 years, and no other co workers.
if you google average salary as office administrator the average is $41K and that is full time. Making it $20 per hour.

http://www.payscale.com/resear.....alary

So not knowing exactly what you do, what work specifically, but if I was your employer I would probably have started you on $15 ph, with a raise each year of $1-3. So at this point I would probably say approximately $25 ($28 if you were full time).

THANK YOU!!!!

your post was EXTREMELY helpful!!

in short: im being underpaid. by a lot.

I cant ask anyone irl, so I really really appreciate it!

and I really appreciate that u broke it down so well!!

(can u tell how excited I am?)

how many hours is considered f/t ? I think I would fall in to the category in between f/t p/t

Also, what abt bonuses? how are they calculated? (how does it work?)

thanks so much for your insight!

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 11:44 am
Full time is 40+ hours a week (or 36 hours if your office closes early on Friday).
Part time is 25 hours a week roughly.

By bonuses do you mean pay raise or a bonus at the end of the year?
If the former, it fluctuates wildly. Some companies give a raise of 10% others 30%. It also depends on how often they raise you, why they are raising you (new position, more experience, more value etc) and what other benefits you are getting.
For example my company just raised one of our employees by 5% but he also got a new benefit added to his employment package. Whereas another employee got a 30% raise but no benefits.

Bonuses are generally given at the end of the year or as a one off (some Jewish companies give a bonus before Y"t). This can be anywhere from $50 - $500 again depending on the company, its business, financials and the employees worth.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 11:59 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
Full time is 40+ hours a week (or 36 hours if your office closes early on Friday).
Part time is 25 hours a week roughly.

If the former, it fluctuates wildly. Some companies give a raise of 10% others 30%. It also depends on how often they raise you, why they are raising you (new position, more experience, more value etc) and what other benefits you are getting.
For example my company just raised one of our employees by 5% but he also got a new benefit added to his employment package. Whereas another employee got a 30% raise but no benefits.

Bonuses are generally given at the end of the year or as a one off (some Jewish companies give a bonus before Y"t). This can be anywhere from $50 - $500 again depending on the company, its business, financials and the employees worth.

I guess im not p/t or f/t.. I started p/t but almost immediately extended my hours.. so im right in the middle.

I was talking abt yearly bonus.

im glad u wrote abt pay raises too, though.

before I was thinking "ok, $1-$3 a year"

now that you broke it down even more, im even more educated Smile

once again, thank u so much!!

it feels good to have a clearer picture..

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
I've been working for 6 yrs for the same company for full time. It's a commercial mortgage company with abt 30 employees (mostly brokers). My responsibilities include database management and really anything to do with the database including working on different projects to customize the system. I also import data from different vendors into our database. I also do lead distribution and data entry on the brokers deal information... Also some random things here and there... And there's no one else that does the exact same thing as me... Although there is someone that does do some of it when needed- but def not the database stuff...

According to the above description and working 30 hrs a week and I am salary based, not hourly... What's should I be making? I get no benefits.... I really think I am severely underpaid... And if Im working on a project and putting in more hrs I don't get paid for that...

cm

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 5:20 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
If the former, it fluctuates wildly. Some companies give a raise of 10% others 30%.

These percentages are astounding. Are you sure about this?

In my industry, annual raises are never more than 4%, usually 2-2.5%.

cnc

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 6:04 pm
cm wrote:
These percentages are astounding. Are you sure about this?

In my industry, annual raises are never more than 4%, usually 2-2.5%.

This.
30% annual raise?? That sounds impossible.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 8:17 pm
In my industry raises average 3% for avg work and 5% for great work and 7% for amazing-over-the-top work. We have a yearly review and raises are given based on the final score.
So if starting at $15 avg yearly raises would be between $0.45 - 1.05.
Bonuses are not at all yearly in all businesses or industries as they are in some others. Where I work you get it if complete a project in a difficult time frame or achieve an accomplishment that is a big deal for the company. Typically not more than 8% of salary.

amother wrote:
According to the above description and working 30 hrs a week and I am salary based, not hourly... What's should I be making? I get no benefits.... I really think I am severely underpaid... And if Im working on a project and putting in more hrs I don't get paid for that...

There are laws that address that. If salaried and making over $455\week (approx $24,000\year) amount there is no overtime. YOu are expected to get your work done. In the engineering and accounting fields this is for sure true (I know from lots of experience)

In Dec 2016 the minimum will increase to $913\week ($47,476 per year).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 11:31 pm
sky wrote:
In my industry raises average 3% for avg work and 5% for great work and 7% for amazing-over-the-top work. We have a yearly review and raises are given based on the final score.
So if starting at $15 avg yearly raises would be between $0.45 - 1.05.
Bonuses are not at all yearly in all businesses or industries as they are in some others. Where I work you get it if complete a project in a difficult time frame or achieve an accomplishment that is a big deal for the company. Typically not more than 8% of salary.

There are laws that address that. If salaried and making over $455\week (approx $24,000\year) amount there is no overtime. YOu are expected to get your work done. In the engineering and accounting fields this is for sure true (I know from lots of experience)

In Dec 2016 the minimum will increase to $913\week ($47,476 per year).

what would you think my salary should be though? I came into the company over 6 yrs ago with one main responsibility and my responsibilities have accumulated over the yrs but with a very small raise (all together, not each yr). So what I do now is completely different from when I started. The reason y I really would like to know is because I feel like I am being taken advantage of at work and lately it has been effecting my families life too... and I am considering looking for a different job..
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics