Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
I'm sick of the profiling in the stores
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 7:53 pm
Sorta a vent -
My husband's company has b'h really taken off. Though we have money to spend, We've never really upgraded our lifestyle. I live in a small house, buy my kids the standard Lakewood clothes, and in general live quite simply.

I don't dress stylish at all - think comfortable mom clothes My sons bar mitzvah is coming up and I decided to go dress shopping - I was willing to splurge. I walked into an expensive women's store. It was empty and saleswomen refused to even look at me. Or help me. Yes, I don't look like have $1000 to spend - but I do. And I refuse to give it to a store that profiles. I hope I do better in another store that has it's sales people help everyone regardless of what they look like. We should do better.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:08 pm
Good for you for living modestly and not flaunting your wealth. Ultimately that's the best inheritance you can give to your children.

I don't shop in frum stores for this reason. Maybe try hiring a dressmaker? You'll get a more customized look than you can get off the rack and it may cost way less than $1000.

agreer

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:14 pm
Have a "pretty woman" moment:

Dress up in gorgeous clothing, come in with overflowing shopping bags from their competitors, and say to the salespeople, "You work on commission, right?"

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:33 pm
I've had a similar experience in a non-expensive Lakewood store. The saleswoman barely acknowledged me. She just spent 10 minutes completely focused on another woman and her daughter. When I wanted to know if they had something in a different size, she told me to go ask the people in the stockroom in the back.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:42 pm
I hate this too.

I remember seeing this article some time ago, basically studies found that snobby salespeople actually sell more clothing! So maybe instead of taking it personally, just try to tell yourself that it's all a game--and you're playing, too.

http://www.retailwire.com/disc.....ores/

Study finds rude associates sell more in luxury stores

May 12, 2014
by Tom Ryan

At least at luxury stores, the ruder the sales staff, the better for sales, according to new research from the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business. The study found snobby associates reinforce the reputation of high-end, posh labels as privileged for the social elite.

"It appears that snobbiness might actually be a qualification worth considering for luxury brands like Louis Vuitton or Gucci," said Sauder Marketing Professor and Co-Author Darren Dahl in a press release. "Our research indicates they can end up having a similar effect to an ‘in-group’ in high school that others aspire to join."

The researchers labeled the phenomenon the "Pretty Woman effect" after a scene in the movie in which Julia Roberts’ character is insulted at a posh boutique. The research was inspired by a similar situation in which a rude employee brushed off Mr. Dahl and he wound up buying two bottles of cologne instead of one.

For the study, participants imagined or had interactions with sales representatives — rude or not. They then rated their feelings about associated brands and their desire to own them. After being treated poorly, participants who expressed an aspiration to be associated with high-end brands reported an increased desire to own the luxury products.

The study also found that staff rudeness did not improve impressions of mass-market brands.

"This only worked for brands and stores that customers would aspire to, truly luxury brands like Burberry or Gucci," Mr. Dahl told CTV Vancouver. "For lower-end, mainstream retailers — Gap and American Eagle, these types of stores — this type of effect doesn’t happen."

The study had some caveats. The effect only held true if the salesperson appeared to be an authentic representative of the brand. If not, the consumer was turned off.

"Our study shows you’ve got to be the right kind of snob in the right kind of store for the effect to work," said Ms. Dahl in the statement.

Rude treatment also fades over time. Customers who expressed increased desire to purchase the products reported significantly diminished desire two weeks later.

The study, "Should the Devil Sell Prada? Retail Rejection Increases Aspiring Consumers’ Desire for the Brand," will appear in the October 2014 edition of the Journal of Consumer Research.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:46 pm
OH. PET PEEVE ALERT! This is one of my biggest ones. How dare people, who mind you are making $12 an hour, differentiate between customers. A few months back, I was shopping in a Boro Park store and met an old acquaintance from Israel (I grew up there) and we were chatting in Hebrew when a saleswoman strolls over and tells us "I don't think you"ll like this store. It's not really geared for Israelis"....
The nerve!!!
Banging head Shooting Arrow

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:

I don't shop in frum stores for this reason.

It is not exclusive to Jewish stores, many stores have this approach...

I know that in one department store, when they train in the salespeople, they teach them the small ways to see if someone is wealthy and lavish attention on them. For example, nice clothing doesn't necessarily mean someone is rich - on Sunday, lots of people get dressed in their best when going out. So one way to distinguish is to look at the customers nails - are they well groomed, because the average shopper can't necessarily afford to groom their nails on a regular basis.

Maya

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:53 pm
I once went to buy dishes for Pesach in a local store, and the saleswoman showed me the sets in the $150 range. When I asked to see what else she had, she said that I probably couldn't afford the other sets anyway so she won't even show me.

What nerve. Best part was that I could have bought ANYTHING in that store without batting an eyelash. I don't understand what gives these people the chutzpah to assume things about random people who just walked through their door.

I rarely shop in the local stores.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:54 pm
You should have told them that you were looking to spend $1000, but your going to take your business elsewhere. Let them know what they are missing.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:59 pm
that's strange. I haven t had any expereinces like this where I live in Baltimore. I find the sales people are falling over themselves to help me! And I am always dressed super casually, cheap shlochy snood style too. Maybe move to Baltimore Smile

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:19 pm
Ugh I had that when I used to buy Stockings or tights but didn't want to spend 10 bucks per pair. The the Hispanic women working there were always so helpful.
I'm sorry op, and I hope you find a beautiful dress and have no more aggravation!
Enjoy the simcha

Ahuvah2

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:29 pm
OP Mazel Tov

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:54 pm
If you live near a Nordstrom, you may want to try shopping there. From my observations, they seem to train their salespeople to be uniformly polite and respectful to every single customer.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 3:04 am
Mazel tov on the upcoming bar mitzvah. Just shop someplace else.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 3:09 am
ask to speak to the manager and explain politely exactly why you will not be spending your money in that shop but will be taking your custom to another store.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 3:59 am
Ha! I also had Pretty Woman come to mind! Also, apparently something like this happened to Oprah in Europe (where I guess she's not a recognized as here). It's a thing with high end stores, and it's not just a Jewish thing (most people know the Pretty Woman scene even if they haven't seen the movie). Sorry it happened. Go elsewhere.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 5:06 am
That's so pathetic, and the jokes on the saleswoman LOL

Same thing happened to me. I went with my aunt to a frum clothing store. She is very yeshivish and dresses such (although she has plenty of money to spend). She asked the saleswoman to get something and they ignored her.
Then she asked me to ask them. I was dressed pretty trendy but did not have a cent with me or even my parents credit card (I was single)- but of course the saleswoman got it for me right away.
Stupid people.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 5:13 am
Big surprise. Welcome to Lakewood. Rolling Eyes

Mazel tov, OP.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 5:36 am
I had a similar experience in a non-frum appliance store several years ago. The salesman assumed I couldn't afford the high-end ranges I was looking at and refused to talk to me in detail about my "Chris-mas wish list."

Well, the joke's on them. I purchased 2 of the pro-style ranges I was looking at from another source, and in my business — space planning and kitchen design — from that time forward I have never recommended that store to a client.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 5:44 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I had a similar experience in a non-frum appliance store several years ago. The salesman assumed I couldn't afford the high-end ranges I was looking at and refused to talk to me in detail about my "Chris-mas wish list."

Well, the joke's on them. I purchased 2 of the pro-style ranges I was looking at from another source, and in my business — space planning and kitchen design — from that time forward I have never recommended that store to a client.

You should go back and tell them.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics