Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What would a sleep coach tell me that I don't already know?
1  2  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 1:27 pm
Wondering if it's worth spending money on a sleep coach for baby. Dh and I not willing to let her cry it out. She's 5 months. We have a bedtime routine, end with a bottle, soothe her in crib. But she inevitably wakes up an hour or two later. Is it worth getting a coach, or are we doing everything one would tell us anyway, and we just have to wait it out?

agreer

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 1:51 pm
I am also interested in the answer to this.

Can anyone recommend a good, tried-and-true baby coach, if it actually does work?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 2:24 pm
I never heard of a sleeping coach! I'm also interested in hearing people's experiences. My 6 month old still wakes every 2.5 hours for a bottle.

TIA!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 2:51 pm
Honestly I'm a DIYer so I would never hire someone to do something I can do, but not everyone shares my philosophy. I read numerous sleep books and tried many different things, each of which worked at different ages and stages. Cry it out isn't your only option for sleep training, read as much as you can and implement some techniques and see how it goes

momaleh

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 3:48 pm
Same as previous poster.
Read the baby whisperer and check out the baby whisperer forums for dealing with night wakings. What eventually worked for basically all of my babies was going in at the night waking and soothing, patting until they went back to sleep. It usually takes about 1/2 hour each time, 2-3 times a night for 2 nights. It's effort and you'll be tired, but it's fairly quick and doesn't involve CIO. and if your husband's on board, sounds like he is, he can take turns or let you nap in the day.

momaleh

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 3:50 pm
one more thing, you also have to wean her off of soothing her to sleep - slowly detach and let her fall asleep totally by herself. Again, takes a few days with minimal crying.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 5:35 pm
Lol I don't have time to read books about these things!! We're trying to really stick to a schedule/routine with her and we just increased her formula amount, so hopefully over a little while she'll get used to it.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
Lol I don't have time to read books about these things!! We're trying to really stick to a schedule/routine with her and we just increased her formula amount, so hopefully over a little while she'll get used to it.

You might have more time if your baby slept through the night and you were operating on a full nights sleep

(You're not busier than anyone else. We all find time for what's important. Maybe sleep training isn't important to you and that's fine. But if and when it becomes important, read a few books because there is a lot to learn about baby sleep)

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 7:21 pm
I had a really bad experience with a baby sleep coach. I spent a lot of money, and every 1-2 weeks, she made me pay again and at the end of 5 weeks, we were only a tiny bit better than where we started. I don't recommend it at all.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 7:51 pm
I consider myself a "sleep coach" at least with my children I am because I hav trained them except I am not a believer in the real sleep coach because I don't think there is a solution to every problem so with one of my infants no matter What I did he got up throughout the night and I let him sleep in the car seat because I work and can't nap during day but that infant got up Because he had issues"" that made it uncomfortable for him to sleep straight through --he is the most challenging and until I correct those "issues he will get up but some things just don't go away--every child is different and responds to different things
. In all discussions about this topic I still have not heard the "magic cure all for every child"

So good luck to u !!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 9:39 pm
Pesek man, thank you for telling me that. I didn't know that EVERY SINGLE MOTHER ON PLANET EARTH IS ALSO BUSY. Of course they are. And sleep training IS important for me. If you'd know me before you judged, youd know that I'm early to bed early to rise. I'm a new mom, getting used to this all, so no, I really don't have time when I'm trying to figure this all out for the first time. I work a full day, come home bombed, cook supper, cook shabbos, do a whole night routine with baby, and after that I either cook whatever else needs to be cooked, or I tend to baby who continues crying, or I'm exhausted and need a bed. So no, right now I don't have time. Sundays are saved for what I don't have time for during the week (food shopping/laundry/other errands, plus taking care of baby). Eventually things will fall into place, and I'll be less stressed about how busy I am. I can wait for that. But right now id like to sleep train without having to read books that I don't have time for. Thank you.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
Pesek man, thank you for telling me that. I didn't know that EVERY SINGLE MOTHER ON PLANET EARTH IS ALSO BUSY. Of course they are. And sleep training IS important for me. If you'd know me before you judged, youd know that I'm early to bed early to rise. I'm a new mom, getting used to this all, so no, I really don't have time when I'm trying to figure this all out for the first time. I work a full day, come home bombed, cook supper, cook shabbos, do a whole night routine with baby, and after that I either cook whatever else needs to be cooked, or I tend to baby who continues crying, or I'm exhausted and need a bed. So no, right now I don't have time. Sundays are saved for what I don't have time for during the week (food shopping/laundry/other errands, plus taking care of baby). Eventually things will fall into place, and I'll be less stressed about how busy I am. I can wait for that. But right now id like to sleep train without having to read books that I don't have time for. Thank you.

You asked what a sleep coach can teach you and if you need one. I and others answered that you can act as your own sleep coach by reading a few sleep books. You say you don't have time to read the books. Did you want us to sum up what we've all learned from reading the books? What is it you're asking?

My revised answer is then yes, a sleep coach would have a lot to teach you and might be just what you need. It's perfect for people who don't have time but perhaps have the resources, and still want the results.

Oh, and you described me and every other mom I know. 🤔

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 10:48 pm
Does your baby nap enough during the day? It sounds counterintuitive but the more the baby naps during the day, the better he'll sleep at night! I read up a lot about it and I've seen a change for my baby as well. I'm on a schedule of daytime naps and nighttime sleep is just getting better bh!
If they don't sleep enough during the day, they get overtired and gets harder for them to sleep at night.
I would recommend you look into that.

LittleRed

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 11:28 pm
I used a great sleep coach over the phone. Pm me if you want her name/number. She helped me correct a lot of issues with my first and taught me the skills that I needed for future babies. The method is called the Sleep Lady Shuffle, you can google it. while you might be able to figure it out on your own, sometimes it's a lot easier if you have someone telling you what to do and coaching you step by step, especially when you're exhausted and busy and have no experience. Best money I ever spent.

lucky14

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 12:12 am
Honestly I kind of agree that if you don't have time to read the books you might want to invest in a sleep coach- or at least talk to your friends who have read the books. But I found so much details in the books and was able to take what made sense for me and my baby and I wouldn't have understood it nearly as well from just hearing parts of the books from other people. I read the books during my few moments I had to myself (for example while I was eating meals). To me that was a priority because nights were getting too crazy. But if you really don't have time, or don't want to use your few extra minutes (come on, everyone relaxes for a minute or two during the day or night), then I'd suggest paying for a sleep coach if you want to get your baby on a sleep routine.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 4:45 am
Until about age 2 a baby doesn't need a whole routine to go to bed. It should be a minute or two.

For your sanity, you need to find some "me time" during the day and find time to read these books. You can't hire a coach for everything. You have to be the best mother you can be, and that takes learning. You can do it as you go or you can invest an hour or two into a book to make it go faster and easier.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:52 am
LittleRed I would like that number I'll pm you. She was able to help even though she wasn't there?? How does that work?

LittleRed

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 9:21 am
She gets an in depth history of your baby and sleep and then tailors the method to your family. There are follow up calls every other day or so to check on progress and tweak. You keep a sleep log and send it to her so she knows what's going on.

lovingmother

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:56 pm
Is it really a crime to come onto this website and ask for information/advice others have read and tried? I would have done the same thing, is something wrong with doing that? I mean this question sincerely, not sarcastically. I thought this website was for people to share info/experiences, but from some of the posters here it seems that it's wrong to ask for that? I was once in OP's shoes, and people who know me irl knew that I had even less time than most other mothers due to a specific family situation, I'm surprised people would have gotten upset with me for asking for some help/advice as a first time mother.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 2:03 pm
lovingmother wrote:
Is it really a crime to come onto this website and ask for information/advice others have read and tried? I would have done the same thing, is something wrong with doing that? I mean this question sincerely, not sarcastically. I thought this website was for people to share info/experiences, but from some of the posters here it seems that it's wrong to ask for that? I was once in OP's shoes, and people who know me irl knew that I had even less time than most other mothers due to a specific family situation, I'm surprised people would have gotten upset with me for asking for some help/advice as a first time mother.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but that's not how I understood the OP question

Had she said, I'm interested in helping my baby to sleep better. Here are her issues, here are mine, what do you recommend, that's fine. She asked specifically about what sleep coaches do. I and others responded that the alternative to hiring a coach is reading a book that matches her sleep philosophy, but she balked at that suggestion, so I'm not sure what she was asking.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics