Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
When do Yeshiva boys learn to drive?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 9:24 pm
I have 3 boys old enough to get a license. I'd like them to learn to drive but there's never any time! They are never home for more than 1-2 weeks at a time. They are in Yeshiva all year and in the summer they're in camp. They'll be home 2 weeks before Yeshiva starts again. In yeshiva they have no access to a car or time to take drivers Ed. How do others do it?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 9:47 pm
My brothers got a permit on one vacation, practiced driving at the next few breaks, possibly renewed the permit, and then got the license a different break.

Boys tend to catch on to driving quickly, and can study the manual in yeshivah.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 10:05 pm
bein ha'zemanim

those that really want find a way ... between shabbosim they have off - to erev pesach exams

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:52 am
If they are old enough to learn to drive they should do it as soon as possible. Yeshiva boys need to learn responsibility and this will be a great opportunity.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 7:48 am
My son and a lot of his friends took driving lessons on Friday afternoons

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 8:00 am
Funny story, in our house you can't get your license unless your older sibling got there's.
My oldest DD didn't get her license until she was 22, in our state you can drive at 16.
That means her sister couldn't get her license until she was 20.
My son at 19 did not have his license and left to Israel.
To make a long story short he did not find the time until he was ready for shiduchim. On his first date my SIL (who has a fancy car) dressed like Chaufer and drove them around. The girl asked, isn't that your BIL. Second date they took a taxi. Third she drove. In between the dates he learned how to drive. Forth date he finally drove.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 8:36 am
If the boys are old enough, they don't have to take driver's ed. They will have to study the book and pass a permit test, and then do driving with a licensed 21+ y.o. driver. This is what my kids did. I know someone organized a class during Pesach bein hazemanim for younger high school boys who learn oot. I'm sure it'll go in stages for them. One bein hazemanim they get their permits, another they start to get in their 50 hours, etc. and they get there eventually.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:42 pm
My husband didn't drive when we started dating- he was 21, and never had the time to learn. He was going to take car service, but I offered to drive. I ended up driving on all our dates:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children