Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Driving Rented Car

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:08 am
What am I risking if I drive a rented car with a learners permit with the authorized driver with me. If a cop pulls me over what can happen?

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:10 am
I don't think anything can happen.
The problem is if you get into an accident you're not insured and then you are in big trouble.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:13 am
amother wrote:
What am I risking if I drive a rented car with a learners permit with the authorized driver with me. If a cop pulls me over what can happen?
I think in order to rent a car you have to produce a valid driver's license. So I dont think you could drive a rental with only a learner's permit, but why dont you just ask any rental company?

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:15 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I think in order to rent a car you have to produce a valid driver's license. So I dont think you could drive a rental with only a learner's permit, but why dont you just ask any rental company?

She said that she would be driving with the authorized driver next to her- so I assume that someone else rented the car.
The rentals are very clear with stating that only authorized drivers are permitted to drive.

I would not do this if I were you.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:17 am
cnc wrote:
She said that she would be driving with the authorized driver next to her- so I assume that someone else rented the car.
The rentals are very clear with stating that only authorized drivers are permitted to drive.

I would not do this if I were you.
right. so she would NOT be authorized to drive.

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:23 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
right. so she would NOT be authorized to drive.

Yes, but it seems to me that she's asking what she's risking if she does it anyways....

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:32 am
I know theres no way for me to be an authorized driver with a learners permit only. what happens if I want to use the car to practice driving and a cop pulls me over. Hopefully no accident. Exclamation

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 10:05 am
I think it would up to the discretion of the individual police officer. but since you would not be insured under the renters agreement, and I don't really know how rental v personal insurance covers, but if it's illegal to drive without insurance, there's that at the least. plus, it seems as though, there is reason to be thought to be driving a "stolen" car. I did some googling, and found some pages that talk about it, but it's mostly the wrongs of an accident, not very much on what if you just get pulled over.

personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 10:12 am
If you are just learning to drive it doesn't speak well of your safety consciousness or law-abidingness if you're ready to take a risk like that. You will also be getting your friend the renter in trouble. Do you have any friends who own a car who would let you practice?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 11:21 am
Your replies are very helpful! Looking at it from the perspective of driving without insurance makes sense. I dont want to have my license suspended before I even get it Wink

Ahuvah2

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 3:08 pm
Don't do it.

Ahuvah2

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 3:09 pm
Don't do it.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 3:55 pm
Double warning. Lol. Thanks for your concern.

Maybe I will, only in a secluded area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics