Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Behavior therapist in Brooklyn

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 3:43 pm
I am looking for a behavior therapist in Brooklyn for my 7 year old dc.
Any recommendations?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:47 am
if you are interested in an ADHD coach that can guide you how to best deal with your child (teaching you to be the coach for your child which works best) then contact
www.iloveadhd.com - he is advertising on imamother now - and he does phone or skype sessions

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 11:12 am
Miriam Amsel is great! 718 435 5405

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 4:03 pm
Thank you.
DC hasn't officially been diagnosed with ADHD. If it that it is mild but I will look into the names given.
Any other recommendations?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 2:58 am
from my experience without an official diagnosis - you won't treat with medication but behavior modifications can still work

my 4.5 year is not diagnosed (yet - with other children with it I have not doubt he is also adhd) and I am already doing these things to save trouble with him that I had with his older brother.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Aug 06 2016, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:
from my experience without an official diagnosis - you won't treat with medication but behavior modifications can still work

my 4.5 year is not diagnosed (yet - with other children with it I have not doubt he is also adhd) and I am already doing these things to save trouble with him that I had with his older brother.

Can you elaborate on the behavior modifications? Do/ did you have atherapist that worked with you to help? Can you post the therapist information please?
I am really desperate to get him help. I feel like he can be happier and so can we with the proper help.
To the poster that posted about iloveadhd.com I noticed that he doesn't list any licensing or degrees. That concerns me.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Aug 06 2016, 11:33 pm
Quote:
Can you elaborate on the behavior modifications? Do/ did you have atherapist that worked with you to help? Can you post the therapist information please?
I am really desperate to get him help. I feel like he can be happier and so can we with the proper help.
To the poster that posted about iloveadhd.com I noticed that he doesn't list any licensing or degrees. That concerns me.

Behavior modifications means a lot - but picking what your working on at the moment and concentrating on that. Knowing when to use commands and when to teach. When and how to implement things you would like your child to improve on. - and developing the proper connection with the child so you can do it

I recommend LY Albert at iloveadhd.com - he is not a therapist - he is an certified ADHD coach - and understands the adhd mind very well and can guide you on how you can get your child to cooperate. It's not easy and it's not magic but if you follow through the results can be amazing. He is not in Brooklyn but he does phone coaching as well. I found the changes I made in dealing with my son made a huge difference in his behavior

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 2:56 am
I don't know any names of people, but if your DS doesn't have a diagnosis, you might want to look for a psychologist who does DBT (dialectic behavior therapy).

Usually when people read/hear "behavior therapist", they think ABA, which may not be what you or DS needs; it's more suited to those with an autism diagnosis.

If you are having problems with your DS's behavior, two other helpful strategies are to post about it here and get a range of advice about how to deal with the specific issues; and to consider taking a parenting class, which can provide surprising insights and help even to seasoned pros with large families.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 3:15 am
I think also you should get him diagnosed first
it really helps to know if you are dealing with adhd or not
if it's adhd understanding adhd and why your son is doing certain things can help you deal with it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)