Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Which school in five towns for my son with social issues?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
I live in the 5towns and know many kids in Halb. Halb is a modern orthodox school. Half the mothers don't cover their hair and some wear pants. Why would anyone think its a good fit for a 10 year old boy to switch from a chassidish school to a modern orthodox school? I don't think any halb students can switch to satmar williamsberg either. It's simply a bad fit.

We're not Satmar and don't live in Williamsburg. We're not extremely chassidic, my kids just attend a chassidish yeshiva in Brooklyn.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
I live in the 5towns and know many kids in Halb. Halb is a modern orthodox school. Half the mothers don't cover their hair and some wear pants. Why would anyone think its a good fit for a 10 year old boy to switch from a chassidish school to a modern orthodox school? I don't think any halb students can switch to satmar williamsberg either. It's simply a bad fit.

Because many MO institutions can be way more accepting, diverse and open minded?

Litvish yeshivos would not necessarily be a good fit, probably even worse. I have seen so much bullying in some litvish yeshivos for such differences.

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:

That's your opinion, and that's fine.
Our experiences have shown otherwise. Our child is thriving in a way we could have never imagined.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 8:59 pm
Maya wrote:
That's your opinion, and that's fine.
Our experiences have shown otherwise. Our child is thriving in a way we could have never imagined.

That's good to hear. Can I ask which school he's swiched from and to?

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
Because many MO institutions can be way more accepting, diverse and open minded?

Litvish yeshivos would not necessarily be a good fit, probably even worse. I have seen so much bullying in some litvish yeshivos for such differences.

This is why I am recommending more modern schools over the more right wing ones, but the OP has to know if her family is ready for that.

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
That's good to hear. Can I ask which school he's swiched from and to?

He switched from a Chassidish cheder in Williamsburg to one in Monsey, and then to one of the MO schools in New Jersey. You can PM me if you want to know the specific one.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:03 pm
Ycq is coed and mo.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:03 pm
Can someone plz explain why and how is a it's a good idea to switch a boy with social issues from a chassidish school to a modern school? Am I the only one who thinks this is more likely to fail than succeed?

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
Can someone plz explain why and how is a it's a good idea to switch a boy with social issues from a chassidish school to a modern school? Am I the only one who thinks this is more likely to fail than succeed?

Why are you so resistant to the idea?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:12 pm
Maya wrote:
Why are you so resistant to the idea?

Simply because I think it is far more likely to end in disappointed than succeed. Of course I can be completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. There's a reason why chassidish and litfish boys generally go to different schools. If anyone is to break the mold it would likely be an outgoing boy, good social skills, strong academically and some other factors. The op is describing a chassidish boy with poor social skills. I don't see this working. Is he ready to learn pre algebra in 7th grade in a year or two? Can he read and summerize short novels? My husband taught chassidish middle school shortly after we got married. These boys were not halb material.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:14 pm
Maya, I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea of my kids attending a coed school where most parents go uncovered, that's not where we are hashkafically, but I appreciate your help.

Seems so unfair- we were born chassidic, but we never really fit in. Feels like we don't belong anywhere, like there are no options for us. Crying

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
Simply because I think it is far more likely to end in disappointed than succeed. Of course I can be completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. There's a reason why chassidish and litfish boys generally go to different schools. If anyone is to break the mold it would likely be an outgoing boy, good social skills, strong academically and some other factors. The op is describing a chassidish boy with poor social skills. I don't see this working. Is he ready to learn pre algebra in 7th grade in a year or two? Can he read and summerize short novels? My husband taught chassidish middle school shortly after we got married. These boys were not halb material.

It seems you're not understanding that the families are leaving Chassidis behind and moving towards a more modern lifestyle. These children get the necessary tutoring to bring them up to the level of their classmates.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:

Actually my son is brilliant. Why, do you think just because he grew up chassidic he has a lower IQ?

He totally would be ready for algebra or novels, in fact he taught himself algebra at the age of eight. I introduced him to a lot of supplemental learning. This is one of the big reasons we need to leave his school- he is not being stimulated enough.

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
Maya, I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea of my kids attending a coed school where most parents go uncovered, that's not where we are hashkafically, but I appreciate your help.

Seems so unfair- we were born chassidic, but we never really fit in. Feels like we don't belong anywhere, like there are no options for us. Crying

I'm sorry Sad

(Is moving somewhere way out of town where the boxes are bigger and looser an option?)

I hope you find your place soon. Good luck!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:23 pm
Maya wrote:
I'm sorry Sad

(Is moving somewhere way out of town where the boxes are bigger and looser an option?)

I hope you find your place soon. Good luck!

Where oh where?

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
Where oh where?

There must be a hundred places to go in the United States?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:27 pm
Maya wrote:
There must be a hundred places to go in the United States?
needs to be commutable to my husbands job and my business ( ny or nj)

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:33 pm
Good luck transitioning. I would love to be able to make the change to give my sons a decent education.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:36 pm
amother wrote:
Actually my son is brilliant. Why, do you think just because he grew up chassidic he has a lower IQ?

He totally would be ready for algebra or novels, in fact he taught himself algebra at the age of eight. I introduced him to a lot of supplemental learning. This is one of the big reasons we need to leave his school- he is not being stimulated enough.

I never suggested your son has a low iq. I'm surprised he understands pre algebra and can read novels because the overwhelming majority of young chassidish boys can't because they never learned that stuff in the same way I cant read a Chinese book, not because I'm dumb, rather I never learned chinese. If your son is the exception, kol hakavod!

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 10:28 pm
South Shore may be a good option...
I wish you, and your son, a lot of hatzlacha.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics