Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Harry potter and the cursed child discussion
Previous  1  2

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 11:14 pm
amother wrote:
As a die-hard fan, I think it's borderline mean to let a kid start the series and not end it...

This child was already aware that our family doesn't read/watch some of the things that other children in their school does. For context, this child's media consumption is more sheltered than most of their classmates, but not as much as others.

When the child expressed interest in reading the HP series, I did some research, and then decided that the later books are not consistent with the hashkofos that we want to instill in our children at this age. Before starting Book 1, I explained this to the child, and said that I was fine with them reading up through 3 or 4, but that the rest of the series would wait until they are older. I also said that I was going to wait to finish the series with them, because while I do feel that the later books are appropriate for a mature adult, I don't think that it is right for me to finish the series first, when this child turned me onto the series.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Please know, though, that the child didn't start reading the series with any false impressions.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 5:57 am
That was a lot shorter than I expected.

The story was there, with all the familiar characters and magic etc, but I didn't start reading HP for the stories or the magic. I got into them because of the way Rowling wrote them.

I miss that.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 7:29 am
youngishbear wrote:

The story was there, with all the familiar characters and magic etc, but I didn't start reading HP for the stories or the magic. I got into them because of the way Rowling wrote them.

I miss that.

I missed that too!
But I did like the story

gp2.0

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 9:28 am
youngishbear wrote:

I miss that.

Good to know I'm not missing anything. 😆

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 3:59 pm
I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed by the book. I understand that it's a different form, but it really didn't feel as rich in detail as Potterverse usually is.

Even the dialogue was somewhat disappointing. I thought the children were done fairly well, but the adults often sounded like teenagers.

As for the story, it was pretty predictable without some of the plot twists that make HP so exciting to read for the first time. I've read much better fanfiction in the past few years than this book.

Maybe I would have appreciated it more if I had seen it as a play instead of reading the script. Or maybe my expectations were too high.

Does anyone know what story the play was based on and where I can find it?

fmt4

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:19 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed by the book. I understand that it's a different form, but it really didn't feel as rich in detail as Potterverse usually is.

Even the dialogue was somewhat disappointing. I thought the children were done fairly well, but the adults often sounded like teenagers.

As for the story, it was pretty predictable without some of the plot twists that make HP so exciting to read for the first time. I've read much better fanfiction in the past few years than this book.

Maybe I would have appreciated it more if I had seen it as a play instead of reading the script. Or maybe my expectations were too high.

Pretty sure the story was never published. It was conceived by jk Rowling and two other people and then one of those people put it into script form. I don't think it actually exists in print.
The play is currently on in London and is supposed to be really good. I'm sure it'll be coming to Broadway soon enough.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:25 pm
Rutabaga wrote:

Please share links or titles.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:29 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Good to know I'm not missing anything. 😆

In summary: everything in canon happened exactly the way it was supposed to happen.

A butterfly flapping its wings in the Potterverse does indeed set off a tornado around the world, or to be more precise, further in time.

Basically the theme of Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder".

(Edited for typos)

Last edited by youngishbear on Sun, Aug 07 2016, 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 5:16 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Please share links or titles.

Sorry, my favourite site no longer exists. And I don't remember the specific titles of stories anymore.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 5:28 am
Rutabaga wrote:

As I started reading it I felt like they must have just read some fanfic and put them together.

I was also expecting more, but it was good to read what 'really' happened to the Harry potter world.
But because its a play and not the amazingly descriptive novels we are used to from JKR it felt like a bit of a tease.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics