Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Is it possible for a kid to night train themselves?
1  2  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 1:33 pm
can I wait it out and hope it'll happen itself one day?

anyone have this experience?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 1:34 pm
It's not only possible, it's actually the only way.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 1:38 pm
Yes both my kids did

lfab

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 1:38 pm
B"H my first 3 have all night trained themselves relatively quickly after being day trained. I wouldn't even know what to do to night train a child embarrassed . However, I also don't know the age of your child. If he/she is in the 3-4 year old range I would say still normal and to wait it out. If he/she is closer to 5/6 it might be time to talk to the pediatrician. Regardless, if you are worried you should always consult with your child's doctor. Good luck.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 1:40 pm
I was told that I night-trained myself at the age of 2. One of my DD's did the same thing. For my other children, I night-trained them by making sure they minimized drinking before bedtime, went to the bathroom before bed, and I took them to the bathroom before I went to bed. I did this for a few days and then they were night trained. At around age 3 1/2.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 1:43 pm
OP.

I tried to night train him but it doesn't work. minimizing drinks upto 2 hours before bedtime, which is hard to do in summer. by time I took him to bathroom around 11 when I go to sleep he was already wet. thinking to take him again around 9 and then again 11:30. I don't see that helping though. point isn't that he should rely on me to keep him dry. goal is he should wake himself.

he's 4.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:02 pm
Bed wetting is completely normal up to the age of 7. It is a different skill than day time training and usually happens naturally and can be awhile after the child is already trained. My oldest is 5 and naturally started waking up dry a few months ago, so we just stopped putting him in pull ups before bed and there's hasn't been a problem. I'm in the process of day training my second child and night is not on the radar at all right now.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
OP.

I tried to night train him but it doesn't work. minimizing drinks upto 2 hours before bedtime, which is hard to do in summer. by time I took him to bathroom around 11 when I go to sleep he was already wet. thinking to take him again around 9 and then again 11:30. I don't see that helping though. point isn't that he should rely on me to keep him dry. goal is he should wake himself.

he's 4.

Please leave him alone. My 9 year old stopped wetting this year. When they are ready, they are ready.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
OP.

he's 4.

Yes but it works - basically his mind will learn to wake himself for the bathroom, when you wake him and take him you are teaching him to associate the need to use the bathroom with getting up to go rather than bed-wetting.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:16 pm
My child was 5ish when he started to be constantly dry at night. He was day trained at 2 1/2. We used the bedwetting alarm and it made a huge difference. The pediatrician said if he was still having difficulty at 6 he would refer us to a urologist if we wanted.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:21 pm
With my first, dh thought we need to leave the diaper on until it's dry. By 4 I decided as long as he has a diaper, he'll wet. I was right. It took a few days but he got it. I can't tell you how many I've' enlightened' with this info

My other kids as soon as they were day trained, I took off the diaper at nite too. Worked immediately on all but one. For him, I eventually gave him money if he was dry ( he was 7)
Another tip . Send them to the bathroom 1/2 hour before bed AND right before

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:24 pm
There are different schools of thought for night training. Some feel kids will figure it out on their own, so let them. Personally, I have found that it's so much easier for them to night train, with a little parental help, when they are 3-4 years old (if they haven't done so on their own by then), maybe 5, then to leave it for them to figure out by themselves when they are older. I know someone who told me her parents never helped her with this and she struggled so much to night train herself as a teen, with so much shame involved with camp and friend sleep-overs.

I have found that taking my kids to the bathroom before whatever time they would normally wet themselves, has taught them to night train, and that it didn't take long...maybe up to a week. If it would be longer, I'd say the child isn't ready, but if the child readily responds, it's a win-win situation. They feel so good about themselves.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:26 pm
DD was fully day trained at 3, and night trained herself a few months later. Her crib was near my room, and I would hear her wake up and start to fuss. I'd put her on the toilet and she would go, and then tuck her back in. I don't think she fully woke up at first, but eventually she started calling me to get her. I switched her to a regular bed, and from then on she could get herself to the bathroom and back with no problems.

The only time she'd wet the bed after that, was if she was coming down with a fever. Poor little kidlet would be so exhausted and sleeping so hard, she wouldn't wake up at her usual cues. Even that she outgrew by 5.

On the other hand, I know families where bed wetting is hereditary, and doesn't clear up until after puberty. One friend of mine had 5 kids in diapers at the same time, and she'd spaced her kids! That was a LOT of laundry. I can't even imagine, but she just smiled and said "G-d willing, that should be her biggest nisayon."

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:30 pm
Of course it's possible. When I trained my toddler, she fussed that she doesn't want to wear a diaper to bed. I told her she won't have to if she can stay dry at night. 2 days later she trained herself for the night and hasn't wet her bed since.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:34 pm
WastingTime wrote:
With my first, dh thought we need to leave the diaper on until it's dry. By 4 I decided as long as he has a diaper, he'll wet. I was right. It took a few days but he got it. I can't tell you how many I've' enlightened' with this info

My other kids as soon as they were day trained, I took off the diaper at nite too. Worked immediately on all but one. For him, I eventually gave him money if he was dry ( he was 7)
Another tip . Send them to the bathroom 1/2 hour before bed AND right before

so did you take your kid to the bathroom on the nights when you took off the pullup?

I already went through a week of that and taking to bathroom and had to do full linen wash every single morning. it was not fun.
DS is getting bigger and he's not happy about having a pullup at night when his younger brother is night trained (he did it by himself). I feel bad but I don't know what the right thing to do is.

wifenmother

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:38 pm
With my kids, no one method worked for everyone. Experience has taught me that that a child will simply be trained for the night once they are ready for it, so for my younger ones I put on pull ups once they were day trained (2-2.5). One of them needed it for a few months, another stopped wetting when he was almost 5, and a third when he was 8. My girls night trained much younger than my boys.

addicted2techgirl

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:42 pm
Every child is different. For the most part however, if u limit their fluids in the evening and take away their nighttime bottle the tend to nighttrain themselves.
There r some kids who will benefit by being woken up during the night for a bathroom visit till they get the hang of it themselves

For my son, we limited his fluids in the evening and put him to sleep w a diaper on top of his underwear.
Basically, if he did have a nighttime accident, he felt it without it getting all over his bed.
Within a few wks he started asking that we dont put him to sleep w a pamper altogether. And bh it worked. He still wakes up wet every now and again but fir the most part he's fully nighttrained bh

Zehava

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 3:01 pm
My kids go to sleep with bottles. The younger one night trained at 2 despite that. The older one still wears diapers at night. I give her a small prize when she wakes up dry. So many times she tells me she doesn't want a bottle and then wakes up dry. Since I know she can do it I'm not sweating it.

Maryann

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 3:04 pm
my 5 year old son randomly said that I am too big I am not wearing a diaper anymore.. he litterally trained himself so cool so yes totally doable

cheese cake

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 3:21 pm
My kids didnt train themselves but when I felt they were old enough I encouraged them & bh it worked. I limited their drinks close to bedtime & woke them up to use the bathroom every hour or so as long as I was up & set an alarm twice during the night. Bh they caught on fast & barely had any accidents
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers