Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Kids Throwing Food on The Floor

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:48 pm
No matter what I do or say, my 2 1/2 year old daughter throws her food on the floor when she doesn't want it anymore. I try telling her to give it to me when she's done or leave it on the side, but she throws it on the floor anyway. Is this behavior age appropriate? Is there anything I can do about it now for this age?

Stars

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:58 pm
Very few words. "when we are done eating we take our plate to the sink" and I think maybe even that is too much. No bribing, no cajoling. Matter of fact.
Rinse lather repeat.
She might be doing it just to get a reaction from you. Is she otherwise developmentally up to par?

PAMOM

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:04 pm
Yes, it's age appropriate and the advice above will eventually work. Eventually.

Mother of 21

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:22 pm
Thanks for your advice. She is definitely developmentally up to par. She understands what I am saying & she throws it anyway. I will definitely try your advice, but what if she just plain ignores what I tell her to do. How should I react to that? Am I supposed to punish her?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:28 pm
Mother of 21 wrote:
Thanks for your advice. She is definitely developmentally up to par. She understands what I am saying & she throws it anyway. I will definitely try your advice, but what if she just plain ignores what I tell her to do. How should I react to that? Am I supposed to punish her?

If you are the OP, you just changed from amother to mother of 21. Are you really? Wow! Did none of the older kids do this?!?!?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:
If you are the OP, you just changed from amother to mother of 21. Are you really? Wow! Did none of the older kids do this?!?!?

Wow! Nasty much?? It could mean that she is 21, as in years old.

Mother of 21

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:58 pm
It's a pen name. I have 2 children & she's my oldest. when I entered my username, I meant to write mother of 2 & mistakenly wrote 21, so I just left it.

SRB

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 10:36 pm
My 2 1/2 yr old DS throws his food (and other's food) on the floor also. It's so frustrating! So I'll be watching this thread for tips. I try to remind him while he's eating of proper behavior, like while he's drinking I'll say " please put your cup back on the table when you finish drinking". I find if I give a reminder close in time to the action, I get better results and less dumped on the floor. But it could be that he's finally outgrowing the behavior as its been going on for awhile. At wits end

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 10:55 pm
Mother of 21 wrote:

At this age, with this reaction, I would ignore it. If you react in any way you will be reinforcing it and turning it into a whole big deal and I don't think you'll win. Save yourself for the really big deals Wink. When she throws food just say, "All done" and remove her from the table and set her up with another activity. Alternatively, you can say "All done. Time to clean up" and give her a paper towel or a broom and clean up the mess together, happily. Do this only if you think she will respond positively. Signed, Mother of 8 Wink

tf

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 1:15 am
After saying it, and being ignored, go to the back of the child. With hand over hand, both, help them pick up from the floor and put it back onto the table. At the same time, tell them, if you're too small to do it yourself, mommy will help you. The next time they eat remind them not to throw the food. Maybe give them an alternative, like putting it in the plate, sink,garbage, etc. When they throw again, ask "are you big enough to pick it up yourself, or do you want me to help you? " . Chances are they'll do it themselves. If not, repeat from hand over hand.

lfab

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 7:07 am
Totally normal for a child this age to still throw their food on the floor. At that age I calmly tell them no throwing (the fewer words the better) and remove the remainder of the food. I then have them "help" clean up the mess that they made.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 7:17 am
Try giving her much less food, and have her ask politely for seconds. If she has what to throw, then she's done eating. If she's still hungry, she'll not have anything to throw.

My problem, was that DD thought it was great fun to feed the dogs, and the dogs learned really quickly that if they sat up to beg and looked cute, then they got all of the leftovers. "Hey, free food, and we didn't have to work for it!" When you have a really smart kid, and really smart dogs, it makes for a tricky combination. LOL

Not only did I have to break DD's bad habit, I had to retrain all the dogs, too. They'd never been allowed table scraps before, because I think it's bad manners, and some foods are not good for dogs. I always saved treats for training sessions or the show ring.

BatZion

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 9:23 am
oh my gosh. this is the bane of my existence.
my 1.5 year old has been doing it for a while and it drives me NUTS. I try not to react negatively b/c I think that's what he wants- I either pick it up without saying something and remind him all the time that if he has finished he can put it on his tray. I also started trying to teach him a sign for finished so that he can express himself in that way to me..he has yet to catch onto that Wink

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 9:27 am
My almost two year old does this and most of the time hes thirsty he just cant express it. I give him a glass of water and then the throwing stops.

queenert

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 10:59 am
Only thing I have to add is to model out loud too. When you finish eating, explain how you're packing up your leftovers so you can save it for later, or throwing it in the garbage because that's where it belongs etc.
Y'know, put it in the conversation. You can even talk about how the floor is dirty and it's wasteful and on and on.
I find that when I'm talking about myself, they can listen to prattle and file it away for later...it becomes just fun, mommy conversation. When talking about their actions it needs to be short and sweet (I.e. throwing food on the floor is wasteful.), but with me, it doesn't.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics