Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Get verbal 25 month old to listen

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 2:52 pm
My 25 month old speaks in sentences, understands and notices everything, but he still won't listen to me at all.

For example - we've been potty training a little and it goes well until he's interested in something else. If I see he looks like he's going to pee, I'll say "Do you need to pee? Let's go potty!" and he'll say "No - I'm PLAYING!" and carry on playing and pee in his pants right then. It's not just a potty training problem, I know I could just stop the potty training for now but it's with everything.

After eating if I want him to wash his hands I try to encourage him, make it fun etc. but he screams and I end up physcially taking him to the sink. Then he's miserable because I made him do something.

Also with not sharing - even with me - he took all three water bottles from the fridge. I said choose which one you want and give one to mommy. And he just says "no" and "I want all the bottles".

I know this is normal toddler behavior, but if being fun etc. doesn't work, how do I get him to ever cooperate without everything being a tantrum? It's doing my head in!

("I want a big one!" "I want my own one!" Crying over small holes in slices of cheese etc. )

And then on the rare occasion he does listen, he gets all cute and sweet:

"I listening... I a good boy, listening to mommy!" and laughs all sweet and innocent.

Makes me want to tear my hair out!

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 3:32 pm
They don't call them the terrible twos for nothing. :-). Developmentally, he is asserting his personhood in the very limited ways he can control. This too will pass.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 4:30 pm
I recommend trying a system - 123 Magic worked great for us! It has methods for addressing "stop behaviors" (as in, stop touching that, stop doing that, put that down, don't go near there. . .) and for "start behaviors" (as in, clean up your toys, come to supper, get into the bath. . .).

We used it with my (very verbal) daughter from around age 2. Now she's 3.5 and listens quite well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics