Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Attention Baltimore Imamothers!!!

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 4:26 pm
I'm looking to move out of brooklyn because the housing is too expensive! I'm thinking Baltimore because it has an infrastructure that is similar to Brooklyn.

If any imamothers can help me out, I would appreciate it.

I would like information on the schools in Baltimore. Boys and Girls.

1- what are the different schools for typical yeshiva kids?

2- how much is tuition for these school? are there any tuition breaks?

Thank you

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 10:03 pm
Okay, I'll bite. First of all, have you searched for previous threads about this?
I will give you the short version but I believe it has all been discussed before.

Boys:
2 main options:
TA-community yeshiva. population varies from JPF to more Yeshivish.
TI-more of a cheder. yeshivish population

Girls:
Bais Yaakov-huge but extremely well run. also runs the gamut from JPF to very Yeshivish.
Bnos Yisrael- smaller and newer. similar parent body. can be hard to get into because they want to keep it small.

There is also Ohr Chadash which is more Zionistic and coed (I think they separate for kodesh in the later years). They only go through middle school.

I can't speak for all the schools tuition but you can assume somewhere between 7-12K depending on age. Yes, all the schools give scholarships.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
I'm looking to move out of brooklyn because the housing is too expensive! I'm thinking Baltimore because it has an infrastructure that is similar to Brooklyn.

If any imamothers can help me out, I would appreciate it.

I would like information on the schools in Baltimore. Boys and Girls.

1- what are the different schools for typical yeshiva kids?

2- how much is tuition for these school? are there any tuition breaks?

Thank you

Ok Ill stop you at he first line. Baltimore is NOTHING like Brooklyn. Nothing. If you like Brooklyn and only want to move here because its cheaper, please dont. At least, not for that reason alone. Move because its warm and nice and the people rock. Because you can go to the one kosher grocery store in a snood. Because people are real. Not because its slmehow "Brooklyn lite".

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 11:09 pm
good point about baltimore not being at all like brooklyn. in reading the question about schools, I overlooked that part of the post! Most brooklynites who move here do eventually adapt but I hear a lot of people complaining about it being a "dead" town I.e. restaurants close early, there is only 1 (huge) kosher supermarket. if you are looking for the amenities of brooklyn, it won't come close. Its a very lovely community with tons of nice people and everyone is very accepting and nonjudgemental but its way more low key than brooklyn (though with enough transplants, things are changing in that regard).

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 11:17 pm
A big difference to Brooklyn is that Baltimore is a carpool town. I found that very hard to get used to when I moved here. the only school within easy walking distance of part of the community is Bnos Yisroel. There is bussing available , but it is not cheap.
Also unlike Brooklyn, you cant jsut walk everywehre. Apart from the ladies from the new chassidishe kollel, there are only 3 ladies I have met in my almost 14 yrs living here, who do not drive. It is very hard for them > You cant walk to stores or schools in general, or at least not to 7 mile market, the big kosher supermarket. They are expecting to open a branch of seasons here, butit is taking a long long time to show.

there are other schools not mentioned in other posts:
a new boys school called Toras Simcha
a montessori school for lower elementary.
Beth Tfiloh which is MO, co-ed and a lot of the kids are not from frum homes but nevertheless a great school

There are many choices of shuls, great rabbanim and great achdus in teh community in general. Baltimore is a friendly place.

I recommend you read the other threads on Baltimore. Not much has changed in the last couple of years.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 11:18 pm
Tuition for High school this year = about 14,000
middle school = about 12,000
elementary = 10-11,000

........ really not cheap. dont know how it compares to brooklyn...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 9:13 pm
(and even when Seasons opens, that's also not within walking distance!)

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:17 pm
Seven mile is walking distance from some places. I used to walk to get my groceries until I moved further away. I also used to walk to shoppers which has a lot of kosher food.

And I'm thinking seasons might deliver

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 8:56 pm
It definitely is walking distance from some places! Seasons, though, wouldn't help for walking (no idea about delivery, 7mm also has an option now)

I just was commenting on this line "You cant walk to stores or schools in general, or at least not to 7 mile market, the big kosher supermarket. They are expecting to open a branch of seasons here, butit is taking a long long time to show. " which implied Seasons opening would solve that problem Very Happy

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 9:27 pm
About how much does a 4 bedroom house cost? Is property tax high?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating