Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Riva Pomerantz is leaving the Mishpacha magazine
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 3:55 pm
I tried the Ami awhile back and found it to be REALLY boring. Is it really bestselling? Always thought mishpacha was

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 10:21 pm
I'm actually happy riva joining ami. I only subscribed for the serial and it ended weeks ago . I'm waiting for ami to start the next serial. Hope they don't wait another ten weeks with just the jamilia serial

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 10:42 pm
As I was reading my magazines over Shabbos, I couldn't help thinking about this thread. Is it only me who remembers when Mishpacha first began how unprofessional they were? There were typos, grammatical errors, and I felt that the writing was stilted, as if it was translated from Hebrew. Now, over ten years later, it's a fantastic publication. The Ami is already a few years old, around long enough to have progressed, but maybe we should give it more time? Maybe it's a good sign that they're trying to get better writers. Also, I really enjoy some unparalled features in the Ami, such as Rabbi Shais, who is amazing. I enjoy Rabbi Moshe Taub and Rabbi Kamenetzky. One of my favorite columns is Truth and Consequences. Victoria Dwek is great, although I find the recipes too complicated for me and my lifestyle- give me simple recipes with easy-to-find ingredients any day. The children's magazine, Aim! Is the best out there, imho- even I love reading it, although I can understand those who feel some of their features and stories are inappropriate for their children. The sensationalism, however, probably won't change even as they improve. And I never really enjoyed their serials in the Ami Living.

Also, why can't Riva write for more than one publication, like Yael Mermelstein does?

Watergirl, although I live in the vicinity of a Buzz store, I don't see why you think the gadget column is an advertisement for The Buzz. I mean, obviously they're sponsoring the gadget box as a way to attract business, but I look at the column as a way of hearing about new and interesting products, and if it interests me,I'd probably purchase it on Amazon.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:13 am
Her new serial is called six degrees of separation and it's about______ we'll see... I'm pretty sure I know what it's going to be about though

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:17 am
amother wrote:
Her new serial is called six degrees of separation and it's about______ we'll see... I'm pretty sure I know what it's going to be about though

Want to give a hint...?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:30 am
amother wrote:
Want to give a hint...?
I will! When I'm a bit more sure I'm right. It should be starting soon

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:37 am
Amelia Bedelia, re Yael Mermelstein writing for 2 magazines: do you mean Hamodia and Binah? They're sister publications.

israel22

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:50 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Amelia Bedelia, re Yael Mermelstein writing for 2 magazines: do you mean Hamodia and Binah? They're sister publications.

no she writes in mishpacha junior for years

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
I don't know. I consider myself a decently intelligent person. I was valedictorian in high school and have my doctorate. But I never "got" Esther Sender. I was constantly scratching my head at the end of her pieces.
Anyone else here take AP English in TAG with Morah Gross? I could imagine all the red lines and cross outs and "who?" "what?" "tangent" comments all over those meditative, rambling essays where the opening doesn't prepare you for the ending and you lose the train of thought somewhere in the middle...
Mishpacha is definitely missing a final one page essay to solidly close out the main magazine each week, but I was not disappointed when she left. Someone lent me an Ami recently and I noticed she had moved there. Her piece was the same style and voice as she used in Mishpacha. And I still didn't 'get' it.
Oh well. I guess I am not as smart as I think I am!

I feel the same way. I think her articles are kind of like The Emperor's New Clothes....

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 9:18 am
israel22 wrote:
no she writes in mishpacha junior for years

Right, that's what I meant. She used to write the Shia and Shua (I think those were the names) stories and now writes the Bear Family.

enneamom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 9:20 am
I love Esther Sender's columns, with rare exceptions. I think you just have to be a certain type. Nothing to do with intelligence.

israel22

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 9:21 am
enneamom wrote:
I love Esther Sender's columns, with rare exceptions. I think you just have to be a certain type. Nothing to do with intelligence.

I agree. I enjoyed them very much. But its not gonna get me to buy AMI, nope.

enneamom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 9:24 am
israel22 wrote:
I agree. I enjoyed them very much. But its not gonna get me to buy AMI, nope.

I'm with you on that one... although, I do love the Aim (kids magazine.) For myself, not for my kids.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics