Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Riva Pomerantz is leaving the Mishpacha magazine
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

das

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:24 pm
debsey wrote:
When he speaks in front of frum audiences, he refers to himself as Yonasan. Even if he doesn't have the hakpadah, it seems petty of Rabbi Frankfurter. Refer to the author of a piece by the name in which he wrote it.

He calls himself Jonathon in the Mishpacha link. I'd say be dan lkaf zechus that it was innocent.

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 3:19 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Personally, I have issues with Ami too but that's irrelevant. I haven't seen the editorial but am not so sure if this should be such a big deal, especially if they were somewhat heimish from the Mishpacha days.

The attack was pretty vicious. I was surprised by it. It sounded like one of those contemptuous pieces one politician writes about another.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 4:44 pm
Why all the opposition and immature badmouthing? I happen to really love the Ami. It's different than the mishpacha and binah, and I find it quite refreshing!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 4:48 pm
yidisheh mama wrote:
Why all the opposition and immature badmouthing? I happen to really love the Ami. It's different than the mishpacha and binah, and I find it quite refreshing!

I really didn't want to get started on this. In fact, I deleted my post, but not soon enough: Debsey got there first. Oh well. There were a few articles that I was surprised at, and I'll leave it at that. I believe there were several threads with extensive discussion on their more controversial articles.

sourstix

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 5:05 pm
I used to buy the ami and at first it was refreshing but then they have a style of writing that I can't bring into my house. I wish they had more respectful language. I just find their stuff isn't for me. Their too sensational. I prefer bina or mishpCha. I wish they would listen to what their readers have to say. It would be nice for them to cater more to us. And not write about Controversial stuff and be more respectful. Jmvho.

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 6:26 pm
yidisheh mama wrote:

I don't think I'm attacking Ami. I have serious reservations about certain things they do. That's why I don't subscribe, but I'll buy it occasionally if an article looks good. I don't think that's badmouthing. We're all entitled to our opinion, and to vote with our feet!

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 9:18 pm
no no noooo! I just got a subscription to Mishpacha because I love Riva's serials. I kept on buying Mishpacha for her serials and now she's leaving mishpacha. no!

and I don't like Ami. they make something look sensational on the cover (like the burka story) and when you turn to it, it's a little picture and short article. I didn't like the way Ami wrote about the Lev Tahor story. so I won't be switching to Ami for Riva. Ami is probably trying to get better writers because Mishpacha is more popular and better written. more of my neighbors read mishpacha than Ami.

Riva don't leave Mishpacha!!!!!!

iammom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 9:48 pm
I'm going to miss Riva! The first thing I open to in the FF are the serials and Riva is truly amazing. I only buy Mishpacha so I'm going to miss her Broken Heart

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 5:38 am
amother wrote:
no no noooo! I just got a subscription to Mishpacha because I love Riva's serials. I kept on buying Mishpacha for her serials and now she's leaving mishpacha. no!

and I don't like Ami. they make something look sensational on the cover (like the burka story) and when you turn to it, it's a little picture and short article. I didn't like the way Ami wrote about the Lev Tahor story. so I won't be switching to Ami for Riva. Ami is probably trying to get better writers because Mishpacha is more popular and better written. more of my neighbors read mishpacha than Ami.

Riva don't leave Mishpacha!!!!!!

I don't have time or money for another magazine so I was banking on Binah's serials to go in book form. $25 -30 for one book is a lot cheaper than 2 years of subscriptions. Unfortunately it hasn't happened yet. (EG, why not?) (Not that I don't enjoy you other ladies too, as well as many of the other writers. I know, I'm missing out on a lot more than one or two serials.)

yiddishe woman

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 6:30 am
I read all three- ami, mishpacha and bina so no bad feelings here..on a different note, does anyone find that the ami is full of illnesses and health stuff that I sometimes read it and think "oh maybe I have that".. again me voicing my opinion

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 6:59 am
yiddishe woman wrote:
I read all three- ami, mishpacha and bina so no bad feelings here..on a different note, does anyone find that the ami is full of illnesses and health stuff that I sometimes read it and think "oh maybe I have that".. again me voicing my opinion

The medical articles in these magazines are my huge pet peeve. IF I bother to read them, I notice that they aren't written with a lot of journalistic integrity. Mishpacha was actually just guilty of this, and I consider them to be more responsible than Ami. There was recently an article about people being told that they need surgery more often then necessary. The source that the author credited was "a study" (WHAT STUDY? Tell me the name and year it was done so I can look it up myself!) and "USA Today" was where the author had read this information. Which edition of USA Today? You MUST give credit to the source in the event that the reader would like to follow up for more info. Or in the event that the reader would like to do some fact checking. Or any event. And seriously? USA Today? That's also not a very good news source. But I've also seen Wikipedia used as a source before. If my 13 year old DD handed in one of those stories at school, it would come back with red all over it.

I do have a subscription to Mishpacha - I actually just got it 2 weeks ago. Typically, I read it, like it, get a subscription... then get annoyed and remember why I stopped reading it. Then stop reading it. A ton of keeping up with the Schwartzes articles, tons of recipes that are NY-centric (we cant get those ingredients out side of NY!), and now I am finding that theres a whole column that's actually advertising for the store The Buzz, which I dont appreciate (something about new gadgets?).

Why do I like Mishpacha, and why do I buy it? Because I really like the articles in the main part - not the Family First. I love that in the same issue, they will feature a chassidish personality, a yeshivish one, and a non religious one. I find that the articles by Binyamin Rose and the Ari&Ari features are historically informative and I walk away with a new appreciation for something new. I like it for the connection that I feel to the greater Jewish world.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 7:27 am
yiddishe woman wrote:

I love it. I find it very interesting and informative.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 7:34 am
For those interested, Ami just announced on their instagram that Riva is starting a serial in their magazine.
FWIW I find Ami to be much more "with it" and not the same old same old as in the Mishpacha and Bina.
My dh also prefers Ami as it is geared for both man and woman, he finds the mishpacha too feminine.

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 8:05 am
watergirl wrote:
The medical articles in these magazines are my huge pet peeve. IF I bother to read them, I notice that they aren't written with a lot of journalistic integrity. Mishpacha was actually just guilty of this, and I consider them to be more responsible than Ami. There was recently an article about people being told that they need surgery more often then necessary. The source that the author credited was "a study" (WHAT STUDY? Tell me the name and year it was done so I can look it up myself!) and "USA Today" was where the author had read this information. Which edition of USA Today? You MUST give credit to the source in the event that the reader would like to follow up for more info. Or in the event that the reader would like to do some fact checking. Or any event. And seriously? USA Today? That's also not a very good news source. But I've also seen Wikipedia used as a source before. If my 13 year old DD handed in one of those stories at school, it would come back with red all over it.

I do have a subscription to Mishpacha - I actually just got it 2 weeks ago. Typically, I read it, like it, get a subscription... then get annoyed and remember why I stopped reading it. Then stop reading it. A ton of keeping up with the Schwartzes articles, tons of recipes that are NY-centric (we cant get those ingredients out side of NY!), and now I am finding that theres a whole column that's actually advertising for the store The Buzz, which I dont appreciate (something about new gadgets?).

Why do I like Mishpacha, and why do I buy it? Because I really like the articles in the main part - not the Family First. I love that in the same issue, they will feature a chassidish personality, a yeshivish one, and a non religious one. I find that the articles by Binyamin Rose and the Ari&Ari features are historically informative and I walk away with a new appreciation for something new. I like it for the connection that I feel to the greater Jewish world.
I notice you didn't say anything about Binah. I find them to be the most responsible and trustworthy of the magazines. I am very critical when I read health and psychology features, because so many of them are interesting only in that they betray just how much the writer doesn't know. Binah is much more solid in their information. That makes them less exciting, but it's the difference between a solidly written, informative article, and tabloids. I buy the tabloids too, sometimes. My brain sometimes wants candy! But I know the difference.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 8:16 am
I read all three magazines bc I've written in all three from time to time and I suffer from a severe case of FOMO - lol. But since Shabbos is only so long, I do not get to read everything, and therefore I'm six months behind in Ami. It's kind of amusing that now during the nine days I am reading the Purim issue...

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 8:32 am
debsey wrote:
I notice you didn't say anything about Binah. I find them to be the most responsible and trustworthy of the magazines. I am very critical when I read health and psychology features, because so many of them are interesting only in that they betray just how much the writer doesn't know. Binah is much more solid in their information. That makes them less exciting, but it's the difference between a solidly written, informative article, and tabloids. I buy the tabloids too, sometimes. My brain sometimes wants candy! But I know the difference.

I dont like Binah. I find it to be fluffy. But I'm not against it like I am with Ami. I dont want Ami even in my house - we read secular books and I read People magazine even. Ami is offencive in a way that I cant tolerate, all in the name of yiddishkeit.

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 8:44 am
watergirl wrote:
I dont like Binah. I find it to be fluffy. But I'm not against it like I am with Ami. I dont want Ami even in my house - we read secular books and I read People magazine even. Ami is offencive in a way that I cant tolerate, all in the name of yiddishkeit.

It's so funny, I find it just the opposite. Binah is too serious and not fun enough. I think it would benefit from a serious injection of fluff!

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 8:47 am
debsey wrote:
It's so funny, I find it just the opposite. Binah is too serious and not fun enough. I think it would benefit from a serious injection of fluff!

They should hire us to add some fun fluff where needed and seriousness where needed. Smile

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 8:54 am
watergirl wrote:
They should hire us to add some fun fluff where needed and seriousness where needed. Smile

Totally.......

bubbymom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 9:06 am
So which magazine is Riva Pomerantz going to?

Also - I miss Esther Sender. What happened to her?
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics