Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Dov Haller Serial - "summer job"

booboo24

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 4:39 pm
I have been continuing with this serial only because I started it. I find it to be all over the place.......any thoughts?

booboo24

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 6:07 pm
Bump

seeker

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 11:03 pm
I missed a few weeks over the summer so I kind of lost the thread. It was OK but I wasn't pulled in very hard. There was the guy who was in his job forever but the boss's son took over and there was a lot of tension there and apparently over the summer I missed him getting fired because I got a peek at it this week and he seemed to be unemployed. There's something with his mother involved, too. Then there's the other guy who runs a camp that has no money and isn't extremely popular but he's very into it. That's so Haller. At one point there was some family reunion for someone's anniversary? That was supposed to give some insight into the family dynamics except then I went away for the summer and have no idea what that was all about? Anyway. Am I getting this right?

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 11:24 pm
This is how Dov Hallers serials go... it takes weeks until you start piecing the story together. But I love his serials.

seeker

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 11:32 pm
I got into most of them much sooner. The yeshiva bochurim one was very catchy. The shul rabbi one was slow, yes, but still easy to follow. I don't even remember all the other ones, but they tend to go slow but deep. This one is an average kind of pace, just a little on the slow side, but it hasn't grabbed me deeply just yet. I have some feeling for some characters but I'm not really into it.

rae

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 11:55 pm
I really like it. Rivkys husband and mother are grabbing me for various reasons. Interested to see if and how he'll change. I just wish it would be longer each week to give me more to bite into.

Laiya

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 8:50 am
I'm enjoying the serial. It seems to me to be a commentary on the long term effects of growing up with verbal abuse, and how that can shape a person. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

theotherone

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 9:01 am
So I am assuming that the main character is going to be thrown into the position of the camp director pretty soon...should be interesting.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 9:39 am
booboo24 wrote:
Bump

You still feel that way? Things do seem to be coming together.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 10:11 am
I'll just wait for it to be published as a book. I really enjoy his writing, but need it to be all together in front of me.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 1:05 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'll just wait for it to be published as a book. I really enjoy his writing, but need it to be all together in front of me.

Sounds like a good plan but I haven't seen books of his stories coming out. I think there was one of a mini-serial plus a bunch of short stories, a long time ago. It's a shame because I really feel that some of his stories are epic. Many of them I've enjoyed following week to week but in this case I think you're right, I'd appreciate it more reading straight through. Maybe it's because the chapters are so short.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 9:28 am
seeker wrote:
Sounds like a good plan but I haven't seen books of his stories coming out. I think there was one of a mini-serial plus a bunch of short stories, a long time ago. It's a shame because I really feel that some of his stories are epic. Many of them I've enjoyed following week to week but in this case I think you're right, I'd appreciate it more reading straight through. Maybe it's because the chapters are so short.

Sundays at 10 is in book form.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:12 am
I'm finding it to be very sensitively written. It's the serial I'm enjoying most right now, and as Laiya said, shows how much verbal abuse can hurt a person for so long.

farm

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 2:18 pm
Meh, not enjoying it. It's been over six month and nothing happened yet. Beyond shleppy. Then again, I am probably biased against Haller ever since he answered a letter challenging something he wrote in Rappaport using his real name and not his pen name, as if he wasn't the author. Still can't get over that.

luvinlife

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 4:01 pm
I'm actually really enjoying the serial. do you think they are going to ask Chaim to take over his father in law's position in camp b/c he's sick?? eventhought that would be so crazy!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 4:35 pm
who verbally abused him? Chaim's mother is verbally abusive?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 4:36 pm
luvinlife wrote:
I'm actually really enjoying the serial. do you think they are going to ask Chaim to take over his father in law's position in camp b/c he's sick?? eventhought that would be so crazy!

Um, yes.
People, raise your hands if you were wondering how much longer it would take to set the stage for the inevitable.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 4:37 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
who verbally abused him? Chaim's mother is verbally abusive?

She's a bit of a piece of work.

dietcokeaddict

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 12:52 am
farm wrote:
Meh, not enjoying it. It's been over six month and nothing happened yet. Beyond shleppy. Then again, I am probably biased against Haller ever since he answered a letter challenging something he wrote in Rappaport using his real name and not his pen name, as if he wasn't the author. Still can't get over that.

I missed that.
What's his real name?

And yes most weren't published as books since Sundays at Ten. Which happens to be one of my all-time favorite books ever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room