Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Trader Joe's Frozen Riced Cauliflower
1  2  Next

sv123

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 5:12 pm
Does anyone know if this is kosher? I've heard of so many people buying it but can't seem to find a hechsher on it.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 5:17 pm
I personally asked the CRC in Chicago about it and was told its not recommended. I make my own and its not too hard.

Optione

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 5:20 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I personally asked the CRC in Chicago about it and was told its not recommended. I make my own and its not too hard.

How? Thanks!

anotherima

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 5:29 pm
I put fresh cauliflower in the food processor and process until it's "crumbs" or looks like rice.

sv123

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 5:32 pm
Anyone know how I can find out if it's kosher?

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 5:36 pm
anotherima wrote:
I put fresh cauliflower in the food processor and process until it's "crumbs" or looks like rice.

Do you check it before you process it or after?

Also did you ever make it with toasted nuts

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 5:40 pm
It does not have a hechsher. You should probably ask your Rav or a kashrus agency you trust of they recommend it.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 5:41 pm
I check the cauliflower as per directions and then process until I like the consistency. I have also used frozen cauli, I like fresh better but its not terrible.

anotherima

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 6:41 pm
cbg wrote:
Do you check it before you process it or after?

Also did you ever make it with toasted nuts

check before, never made with nuts.

Optione

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 7:31 pm
How does one check cauliflower?

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 7:50 pm
For info on how to check cauliflower (or anything else), visit the star-k website. They have directions for everything.

Here is a one pager:
http://www.star-k.org/images/p.....3.pdf

Here is a video about the thrip cloth method (the one recommended for cauliflower). Note the differences between lettuce and broccoli/cauliflower described on the top of the one pager (mostly about water tempature).
Here is the video:
http://www.star-k.org/articles.....thod/

You can order a thrip cloth from the star k.
You can use a clear plastic container (shallow and wide) and a tap light that you move around instead of a light box.

You can use this method for a lot of really healthy things like romaine lettuce, kale, broccoli... enjoy!

chulentalakiddush

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 8:17 pm
One of Trader Joe's near me in ny ( I cant remember which one I went to last time, maybe near Roosevelt Field) had fresh bagged rice cauliflower with a reliable hechsher (Of course I cant remember which hechsher it was) It cost 2.50 which is less than a whole head of cauliflower and I didn't have to wash my food processor.
But, meh, I didn't like it so much. its supposed to be a substitute for rice or pasta but I felt it just tasted like cauliflower.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 10:25 pm
chulentalakiddush wrote:
One of Trader Joe's near me in ny ( I cant remember which one I went to last time, maybe near Roosevelt Field) had fresh bagged rice cauliflower with a reliable hechsher (Of course I cant remember which hechsher it was) It cost 2.50 which is less than a whole head of cauliflower and I didn't have to wash my food processor.
But, meh, I didn't like it so much. its supposed to be a substitute for rice or pasta but I felt it just tasted like cauliflower.

I Just wanted to point out, in case some people don't realize, that the hechsher on it doesn't mean it was checked for bugs.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 11:01 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
I Just wanted to point out, in case some people don't realize, that the hechsher on it doesn't mean it was checked for bugs.

So what does it mean?

momtra

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 11:09 pm
The hechsher could mean that there are no non kosher ingredients - "reliable " hechsher is a very relative thing. On The CRC app , you can find how to treat frozen/ raw cauliflower in checking for bugs.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 11:35 pm
I second that. It doesn't mean anything about bugs, just ingredients. I was surprised to learn that years ago too! When vegis have been checked and can be presumed to be bug free, it often says "no checking necessary" or the like.

rfeig613

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 2:20 pm
I'm not going to comment on whether the hechsher is reliable, but there is a brand of frozen called Hanover with an OU that everybody should agree on.

I bought it from ShopRite in Paramus and it was interesting. You have to flavor it and season it heavily in order for it to taste good.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 9:25 pm
wait so does the hanover one need to be checked also or does that ou mean it's fine?

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 12:01 am
The OU does not mean it is bug free. Cauliflower is a problem for bugs. Ask you LOR before using this. This applies to other frozen things too -broccoli, strawberries... My rav said, without a frum brand checking for bugs (and writing it on the bag!), we can only use these if we puree them - like in a smoothie.
Hatzlacha!

Shoshie

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 12:41 pm
I just got off the phone with the OU Kosher hotline, 212-613-8241.

I asked if the Hanover brand riced cauliflower needs to be checked for bugs. It does not. The florets, which is the problematic part of the cauliflower, are not used. Only the stalks are used to make the riced cauliflower.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen