Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Special Ed: would u do classroom teaching?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 9:32 pm
I know seit is the most popular option, but what are ur thoughts abt being a special Ed classroom teacher (preschool specifically). There is an ad posted, and was thinking about it.

Optione

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 9:37 pm
As long as you have the proper student/teacher ratio, I think it's great!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
I know seit is the most popular option, but what are ur thoughts abt being a special Ed classroom teacher (preschool specifically). There is an ad posted, and was thinking about it.

SEIT is not as great as it sounds. I found it very unstimulating and was fed up with begging for work. I say, Go for it!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 12:11 pm
I've done it and enjoyed it a lot. It was HARD work, but stimulating and rewarding. I'd do it again if the hours worked for me. I do P3 and enjoy it a lot more than SEIT. And all it takes is a group of 2 and the pay is amost equal to that of a SEIT, with a lot less paperwork. I agree that SEIT is overrated.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 3:56 pm
What's the going rate for SEIT?
For P3?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 4:51 pm
I agree that SIET is overrated.
after a few years of running around and as someone else said, begging for cases, I left it and teach regular classroom now.
its not ideal, its not what I envisioned, but im happy and its working for me and my family.
the job basically fell into my lap, and it was silly at the time not to take it.

I have a good friends who left SIET work and became full time special ed teachers for the Board of ED, and she says it is extremely difficult. The job is really demanding and way more intense that she imagined.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 5:35 pm
The SEIT rate was cut this past year, and the rules changed, making it harder than ever- for example, there's no such thing as seeing a 5 hour case in three or four days a week anymore. If I'm not mistaken, I think the rate is $60/hour. P3 is about $40/hour, with higher rates when servicing as a group.

I taught regular preschool education for one year, after leaving SEIT, and loved every minute of it. I loved the creativity involved. As a SEIT provider, I used to dread going into work each morning- I did not enjoy it. Obviously, everyone is different. When I go back to work,I will iyh look for a classroom teaching position, such as Headstart.

By the way, SEIT stands for special ed itinerant teacher (SEIT, not SIET).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics