Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Dairy free 9 days meal ideas needed
1  2  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:17 pm
Hi! I just started a new diet and I'm really nervous about the 9 days. I'm allergic to dairy and to most nightshade veggies (and some others...) I'm also in my first trimester of pregnancy, and on most days I cant look at fish, let alone eat it. The 9 days as it is is torturous for me. But now I'm off white flour, refined sugars, (my comfort foods) and I'm following a very strict plan regarding how much proteins, carbs, sugars etc I can eat per meal.
I'm pretty much at a loss with what to use as a protein for lunch and dinners (1 protien, 1 healthy carb, lots of veggies). I eat eggs in the morning, so that's out. Fish depends on my nausea level for the day. I'll probably have 2 or 3 days that I'll be able to stomach it (I hope).
What else can I use as protein in my meals???

(Posting anon bec I don't want my fam members to fig out my username, and bec didn't announce preg yet)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:30 pm
Falafel stuffed pita with an avocado relish and homemade tehina.

How does sushi sound to you, or a sushi salad made with kani?

Black bean burgers on buns with condiments and layered vegetables. Spiced sweet potato French fries optional.

Would tuna steaks appeal to you?

French toast and pancakes with strawberries and cream.

Quiche with a hearty lentil barley soup and leafy salad.

ETA: Just realized you're limited with carbs. May I suggest you speak to a Rav about the fact that you are pregnant, cannot eat dairy or wheat, are limited in carbs, and cannot stomach fish?

tf

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:43 pm
Your situation warrants a shaila for fleishig.

I cook pareve in fleishig pots.

Vitamin B6 helps for nausea, but I doubt you'll feel good enough by next week, unless the nausea isn't that bad, and you take enough of it to keep the symptoms low.

gazingblue

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:44 pm
Ra_mom you always have such great ideas. Can I trouble you for your lentil soup recipe?
TIA

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:49 pm
Do you live in a very populated frum area? In Lakewood, Seasons carries both firm and silken tofu, as well as shiratake noodles, which are noodles made of tofu. I eat them a couple of times a week. They have a funky smell, but if you put sauce on them, you can't smell it and they taste fine. I sometimes put them in soup and have them as the "noodles" in the soup.

Dr. Prager's makes a veggie burger that is mostly beans, and so does Morningstar farms. I dk if it works with your eating plan, but I like to eat a veggie burger with hummus. Tastes vaguely "falafel" -ish.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:54 pm
Here's the lentil soup. It's delicious. OP did say she can't have nightshades so she can omit the tomatoes.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....arley
You can use water instead of broth. Just up the onion and garlic amounts and season very generously with salt as you taste.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 10:59 pm
Lots of soups! Here are protein sources for soup: beans, lentils, egg drop, tofu. You can get great protein from soups. And lots of yummy vegis... and you have a great soup. Since you are off white flour, you can put barley in the soup for some healthy whole carbs. There are tofu-tomato soup recipes and you can add any of the protein sources to most soups. Google soup recipes with whichever protein source you want that day.

Re: Fish, try making a "salmon souffle." Canned salmon, tofu, oat bran, I use milk so use a parev milk, eggs, oil. You can add tofu and/or beans to it. Bake for an hour. You may be able to handle the fish this way. Let me know if you try it Smile

Tofu stir fry with vegis and soy sauce for flavor.

Rice with beans...
Baked potato with spinach and beans/tofu...

Much hatzlacha!!

gazingblue

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 11:14 pm
Thanks ra-mom

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 12:20 am
Thanks all for your replies!
tf-I'm already taking b6, but thanks:)
debsey- thanks for the suggestion. I will check my local supermarket to see if they have those noodles. They do have tofu- any recipe ideas?
ramom-Thanks for the recipe. Do you think it will be good without the barley and tomatoes? Also, beans have been causing me insane gas pains in the past few weeks (sorry, forgot to mention it in the original post) Do you think lentils will cause me that problem?
Thanks for the recipes, cozyb. The salmon souffle sounds delish, but I doubt Ill try it, bec last time I opened one of those canned salmons, the smell made me so nauseous that I couldn't eat for the rest of the day. Ill prob try the tofu stir fry. Do you have any tofu soup recipes without tomato; I'm highly allergic.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 3:15 am
Go online and find recipes for "shiro miso soup". Yummy!

I Google "gluten free vegan" and get lots of recipes. You can just scroll past any of the ones that include nightshades. My daughter is violently allergic to eggplant, so I hear you on that one.

Asian and Indian recipes are always a winner, and the spices can help pick up your appetite and make you feel more satisfied. Coconut milk is very healthy, and can give you that creamy taste and texture in recipes.

I have problems with beans and split peas, but I can handle quinoia, wild rice, and lentils with no problem. I take a prebiotic, probiotic, and digestive enzyme supplement to help me break down heavy starches and proteins.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 7:19 am
What about a veggy lasagna with a tofu stir fry as the filling?
Vegetarian chili and tacos
Falafel and pita

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
Thanks all for your replies!
tf-I'm already taking b6, but thanks:)
debsey- thanks for the suggestion. I will check my local supermarket to see if they have those noodles. They do have tofu- any recipe ideas?
ramom-Thanks for the recipe. Do you think it will be good without the barley and tomatoes? Also, beans have been causing me insane gas pains in the past few weeks (sorry, forgot to mention it in the original post) Do you think lentils will cause me that problem?
Thanks for the recipes, cozyb. The salmon souffle sounds delish, but I doubt Ill try it, bec last time I opened one of those canned salmons, the smell made me so nauseous that I couldn't eat for the rest of the day. Ill prob try the tofu stir fry. Do you have any tofu soup recipes without tomato; I'm highly allergic.

Do a red lentil soup instead. Canadamom's recipe is delicous. I either skip the potato and use more vegetables or I use sweet potato instead.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....+soup
I find lentils to be different than beans in terms of gas.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 10:49 am
Thanks frummie. I will look for that recipe. I hope I can find miso in my local supermarket, though. Regarding quinoa and rice - they count as a healthy starch in my diet.
Amother cornflower-I'm allergic to dairy and tomato so tacos n salsa and lasagna aren't an option for me. Thanks, though.
Thanks ramom for the lentil soup recipe. I wasn't sure about lentils and gas - didn't try it... Thanks for the reassurance.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 10:53 am
Amother cornflower, I just reread your post and saw that you wrote veggie stir fry w tofu. Sorry, I misunderstood before... Do you have a recipe?

Stars

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 10:59 am
Parve cholent?

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 12:26 pm
Re: soup without tomato, you can put tofu/egg drop in any soup.

I agree with the first poster. It is worth asking a sheila. There are 2 primary categories of what not to do during the 9 days: dangerous things and things that bring happiness.

Not eating meat is one of the things chazal said brings happiness. However, there are exceptions. Our rav just gave a shiur and said if you are very tired and driving and you feel you need music to keep you alert and awake, then put music on because you are not doing it to bring happiness. Just to stay safe.

You would not be eating chicken or meat for happiness, you would be doing it for basic nutrition and survival for TWO people! since you have very few protein options (no dairy, fish or beans - which only leaves you lentils, tofu and eggs), your rav may allow it. It is worth asking.

Otherwise, there is lots to make with the 3 above - google soups, stirfries, omelets. OH, quinoa has protein too!

I hope you feel well and have a meaningful 9 days and an easy fast!

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
Amother cornflower, I just reread your post and saw that you wrote veggie stir fry w tofu. Sorry, I misunderstood before... Do you have a recipe?

No real recipe but I Sautee onions then put in tofu. I use firm. I cut it in chunks. Then put wtvr veggies I havr. Mushroom pepaper broccoli cauliflower squash etc. I then put tamarind soy sauce and cook until veggies r either soft or desired firmness.

When I make with lasagne I use ww noodles and layer this stis fry between layers and put marinara sauce on top.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 12:43 pm
Thanks cornflower. Do you think it can work without the marinara sauce?
Cozy and all others who said I should get a heter-unfortunately, I don't think I will:(
I'll have to manage with whatever else is left. I got some good ideas and recipes here, so it's bh looking a little more hopeful.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 12:48 pm
Make vegetable sides that are filling like baked butternut squash fries, carrot fries, cauliflower rice, parsnip puree, beet chips, etc.
Cream soups using just vegetables like zucchini, cauliflower, butternut squash, etc.
Use baby jars of carrot and butternut squash mixed together and seasoned in place of marinara sauce.

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 1:10 pm
Lentils kill my stomach ( hopefully won't be the case for you, just letting you know).

Here's some ideas:

I like to make: kale quinoa salad ( I usually add grapefruit and oranges and nuts but any fruits or veggies work) big taco salad with soy meat crumbles, avacado, corn, peppers, etc. you can make taco meat out of walnuts that's pretty good ( if you like nuts). I made a yummy lime tofu dish with mango and coconut brown rice. Tehina dressing is healthy ( I add some honey, orange juice and lime juice and coconut aminos to mine). I like to make fresh rolls with rice paper and veggies and peanut sauce
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking