Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Modern orthodox communities

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 3:41 pm
I have posted before but will try again- my husband really would love to move and we are looking for some ideas of communities to check out. We live in LA and I love it but for personal reasons my husband would like to move. We want a warm, modern orthodox community with pleasant weather (Dallas, Las Vegas and Houston are too hot for us) and young couples/families. We have no children and unfortunately, we may not have any any time soon, so some place that people without children feel welcome and included. We love Riverdale but prefer somewhere not on the East Coast. Anyone know anything about communities in Austin, Colorado, Oregon, etc.? I know people in Seattle but they told us there are not really young couples living there now. TIA for any help you can give me. I don't want to move so this is rather daunting, but it might be the best thing for our marriage right now.

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 10:50 am
The East side of Denver has a modern Orthodox community that you should look into. The Jewish community in Austin is extremely small, and I think Portland, Oregon is more to the right and not so MO.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 11:51 am
I don't know if Cleveland is too cold for you but it supposedly has a nice modern orthodox community.
I believe there was someone else on this board looking in to the modern orthodox community in Denver. I don't believe her thread got any responses but you can pm her and see if she got any more info either IRL or via pms. Or if she is considering any other communities that might be good for you.
Good luck!

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 12:15 pm
Boca Raton in florida?
Do't know much about the community but it seems like what your looking for from the outside

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 12:20 pm
Cleveland is too cold for us. Will look into Denver thanks.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
Cleveland is too cold for us. Will look into Denver thanks.

I know you said no East Coast, but....does anyone know if Baltimore has a modern crowd? Also, what about the Lakeview neighborhood in Chicago - or even west Rogers park in Illinois? Probably too cold....but there's not hundreds and hundreds of young MO communities in the US.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
I know you said no East Coast, but....does anyone know if Baltimore has a modern crowd? Also, what about the Lakeview neighborhood in Chicago - or even west Rogers park in Illinois? Probably too cold....but there's not hundreds and hundreds of young MO communities in the US.

I have friends in both communities. Thanks for the ideas. Weather is too cold for me. I am going to look into Denver.

boysrus

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:39 pm
Denver is also very cold in the winter. If you want somewhere not too cold in winter you might need to be looking at Israel or certain parts of Europe...
Baltimore does have a MO element, but not as much as it used to have, there is a big mO community in Silver Spring/Rockville MD. maybe look into that.

isrmss91

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:48 pm
I think most communities OOT are more on the MO side. All Young Israel type.
Memphis has a community. They are very warm, southern hospitality at its finest. A few shuls, Young Israel, Baron Hirsh, Chabad. Maybe look into that. google jewish memphis for more info. Not too many restarants. Most people eat at home, so coming from California, with its numerous kosher establishments, to memphis with 2 choices will be hard, unless you are use to cooking at home.
But Memphis is a close community. A few people who had to leave New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina, relocated to Memphis and decided to stay because they loved it.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 9:11 pm
just a heads up, I've heard LA weather raved about, I think most places in America though either get very hot or very cold or both.

babula

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 9:51 pm
Atlanta

shaimac1

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 12:12 am
amother wrote:
I have posted before but will try again- my husband really would love to move and we are looking for some ideas of communities to check out. We live in LA and I love it but for personal reasons my husband would like to move. We want a warm, modern orthodox community with pleasant weather (Dallas, Las Vegas and Houston are too hot for us) and young couples/families. We have no children and unfortunately, we may not have any any time soon, so some place that people without children feel welcome and included. We love Riverdale but prefer somewhere not on the East Coast. Anyone know anything about communities in Austin, Colorado, Oregon, etc.? I know people in Seattle but they told us there are not really young couples living there now. TIA for any help you can give me. I don't want to move so this is rather daunting, but it might be the best thing for our marriage right now.

Hey so I remember when someone was asking about Denver I actually PMed her. I don't live in Denver, but I went to HS there and have a ton of friends. My advice would be to look into either the East Side of Denver or the Southeast community. Southeast is growing and where a lot of the young couples are living. In terms of weather it does snow in the winter, but it doesn't last and usually melts in a day or so. It doesn't get super cold like the Midwest (I am from Milwaukee so I know) and it has 300+ days of sunshine a year which will remind you a lot of LA. Good luck with your search and feel free to PM anytime Smile

Bernie

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 12:14 am
I second Atlanta

nylon

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:52 am
Denver's climate isn't that warm. It's a definite 4 season climate with snowy winters.

You don't want east coast, you don't want hot, you don't want cold. That only leaves the West Coast. You don't want Seattle, and Portland is small. You've really defined yourself out of everywhere. Austin, BTW, is not so different climate wise from Dallas (still hot), the Jewish community is small, and it's pricey. I think you're going to have to compromise on climate here. Or accept the East Coast.

Baltimore does have some modern people, though not predominantly. Silver Spring is more modern. I personally think Boston has a decent climate--not as cold as the Midwest, more bearable in summer than the Mid-Atlantic--but it is expensive, though coming from LA, that might not be too much of a shock. If you like Riverdale, I think you would like Boston; it has that educated more left wing crowd.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 11:05 am
nylon wrote:
Denver's climate isn't that warm. It's a definite 4 season climate with snowy winters.

You don't want east coast, you don't want hot, you don't want cold. That only leaves the West Coast. You don't want Seattle, and Portland is small. You've really defined yourself out of everywhere. Austin, BTW, is not so different climate wise from Dallas (still hot), the Jewish community is small, and it's pricey. I think you're going to have to compromise on climate here. Or accept the East Coast.

Baltimore does have some modern people, though not predominantly. Silver Spring is more modern. I personally think Boston has a decent climate--not as cold as the Midwest, more bearable in summer than the Mid-Atlantic--but it is expensive, though coming from LA, that might not be too much of a shock. If you like Riverdale, I think you would like Boston; it has that educated more left wing crowd.

You are right- the truth is I just don't want to move. I like where we live and we have lived on the east coast before this and I Cant imagine moving back. I have spent time in Boston and Baltimore and New York and silver spring and they are all very nice communities so maybe I need to work on changing my attitude. My husband does want to move and I think it ultimately might be good for our marriage so I'm trying to do some research but it's hard to be the one researching when I'm the one who is quite happy here. Thanks for your help everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating