Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
ISO some Nine days inspiration

newmommy:)

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 3:41 am
Hi all

I'm finding it hard to have the right mindset during these days. the Rav in shul on Shabbos said he got a phone call from someone during the nine days who asked " I'm uncomfortable can I shower?"
and the Rav said - NO! but good for you, you were just mikayim the mitzvah of being in aveilus.
whether or not you're showering or sweating or whatever the point was - we're supposed to be uncomfortable now. It's a time of aveilus for the Beis Hamikdash. The shechina is not with us and because of that we are missing out on things we cant even imagine.

BUt I'm having a hard time focusing. Cuz its so busy these days and my mind is already set on bein hazmanim. How do you feel the pain? How do you make it real for yourself and for your kids?

I love to sew and I was thinking "are you allowed to sew during the nine days" honestlyl I don't know the answer but then I realized if it's something so enjoyable to me - then maybe I shouldnt' be doing it now?

Where's the focus? And how do you focus?

Thoughts?

lefty1

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:04 am
I also really want to feel the 9 days in a meaningful way, and not just go through the rituals of not eating meat and doing laundry etc. I would love suggestions.

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:14 am
If you like listening to shiurim go to

YUTorah online

Type in

Lebowitz Devarim

Click on

Devarim drasha 4 plus 1 equals achdut

Hope that helps

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:53 am
Good question!

I feel that today we are so disconnected that the least we could do is the outside signs of mourning. Especially since we don't feel it.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 5:23 am
I think we all feel the same way- we can't necessarily relate to the mourning of the beis hamikdash, but we can try our best to minimize things we find enjoyable in our own lives, whether it's a certain food/drink, accapella music, activity we do...the list is endless. I try to listen to shiurim to help me focus, just go to torahanytime and find a speaker you like for the 3 weeks- there's so many to choose from. I also am not planning anything for bein hazmanim until after tisha ba'av- I just don't feel it's right.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 5:51 am
To be honest, just thinking about the colossal tragedies we have suffered in the past year and knowing that the Beis Hamikdash would put an end to that, is enough to make me mourn and yearn for the geulah.

It's difficult to focus on the Beis Hamikdash itself per se, and in the moment most of us are probably more sad about the worldwide suffering than the loss of the Beis Hamikdash, but we each have our own suffering, and thinking about how it could all be put to an end with the BH's rebuilding channels our thoughts in the right way.

miri36

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 9:06 am
If you can get to the library, the historical fiction novel "The Harp" really gives insight to what went on. Really felt like I was there during the churban.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 10:03 am
Having been in aveilus for my father a"h,( a youngish man) I can really somewhat relate. When you are so sad you don't even think of showering when uncomfortable, when you are so enveloped in pain somehow you don't feel other things so acutely, but Bh I'm happy for all the people that don't know what it feels like.....

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 12:22 pm
http://9days.jpthink.com/

Haven't listened to the class yet but it sounds like what you're looking for (free, just sign up)

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 5:03 pm
I typically find something meaningful to read whose themes can be brought up as discussion topics during the9 days. This year I found a book called Hassidic Tales of the Holocaust by Yaiffa Elaich.

Elaich has compiled some very meaningful tales from Holocaust survivors. Not only is this a great selection of tales but they have even been researched for historical accuracy.

Yes some of the tales are painful to read, but the lessons that one learns from them is priceless.

I found mine at a used bookstore but like most books it should be on Amazon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational