Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child SPOILER THREAD
1  2  Next

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 10:32 am
This is a spoiler thread. You have been warned. If you don't want the story to be ruined. click out now...

So I finished it. I am a huge HP fan, to a crazy degree. I read the ending a few times... and I am actually quite annoyed. I cant figure out who the cursed child is! According to articles I've read, there IS NO official cursed child. But maybe its Delphi?

Thoughts?

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 10:37 am
I thought it was obviously Albus!

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
I thought it was obviously Albus!

Why? What was his curse

youngishbear

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 11:40 am
We are supposed to think it's Albus throughout the play.

I believe it's Delphi.

The other characters all end up in a positive light.

fmt4

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 11:49 am
I thought it was really cute. Some of the dialogue was very corny but I enjoyed seeing Harry Ron and Hermione grown up, and especially seeing Harry through his son's eyes. I also liked all the alternate realities and visiting previous scenes.
One thing I didn't get- when Harry was saying Delphi didn't come to kill baby Harry first to save Voldemort from being destroyed, she came to stop Voldemort from attacking Harry at all. He said this like It was a big revelation. I didn't get why, and I didn't get why she would do that because then the prophecy could come true if Harry wasn't killed. Baby Harry needed to be killed somehow.

Does anyone get my question?

cnc

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 11:53 am
Is it written in story form or script form?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 11:53 am
fmt4 wrote:
I thought it was really cute. Some of the dialogue was very corny but I enjoyed seeing Harry Ron and Hermione grown up, and especially seeing Harry through his son's eyes. I also liked all the alternate realities and visiting previous scenes.
One thing I didn't get- when Harry was saying Delphi didn't come to kill baby Harry first to save Voldemort from being destroyed, she came to stop Voldemort from attacking Harry at all. He said this like It was a big revelation. I didn't get why, and I didn't get why she would do that because then the prophecy could come true if Harry wasn't killed. Baby Harry needed to be killed somehow.

Does anyone get my question?

No, he didn't.

Scorpius accidentally gave her the greatest weapon, the knowledget that Dumbledore himself had shared with Harry: "it is our choices, Harry... that show what we are..."

The prophecy only has power if it is taken seriously and people make the choice to take steps towards fulfilling it.

If Delphi persuades Voldemort to ignore it, he can continue to grow in power and ignore this tiny unthreatening baby.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 11:55 am
cnc wrote:
Is it written in story form or script form?

Script.

Which means it lost most of what first made the HP books enjoyable to me.

But by now I'm a total Potterhead (what a weird name) so anything is good as long as it comes from the Potterverse.

fmt4

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 12:05 pm
youngishbear wrote:
No, he didn't.

Scorpius accidentally gave her the greatest weapon, the knowledget that Dumbledore himself had shared with Harry: "it is our choices, Harry... that show what we are..."

The prophecy only has power if it is taken seriously and people make the choice to take steps towards fulfilling it.

If Delphi persuades Voldemort to ignore it, he can continue to grow in power and ignore this tiny unthreatening baby.

But why would Delphi not want to kill Harry just in case? Would it destroy her as it did Voldemort?

tryinghard

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 1:58 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Script.

Which means it lost most of what first made the HP books enjoyable to me

But by now I'm a total Potterhead (what a weird name) so anything is good as long as it comes from the Potterverse.

This. Also, the whole "alternate universe" thing that essentially developed in the first half was just annoying, felt kinda like a cop-out - you don't need to bother with a whole new story, just rewrite the old ones. The second half was better in that aspect - it was a new story, pus preventing the old one from being changed.

As for the baby Harry question,
Harry only became the Chosen One by Voldemort's choosing. Had Voldemort not "marked him as his equal", he would not have had "the power to vanquish the Dark One" (ok now I feel like a total nerd! embarrassed ). So he doesn't need to die to protect Voldemort, Voldemort needs to not attack him to begin with.

That being said, if Voldemort had never attacked Harry,
A) would he have gone for Neville instead?
B)Do you think Delphi would ever have been born? And then does everything revert to normal because she's not there to divert the sequence of events?

Aaargh this is why I hate the time-travel/AU thing!

pointyshoes

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 2:12 pm
It was definitely Delphi although I think Scorpius was quite cursed because everyone thought he was voldemorts son.

fmt4

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 2:16 pm
Btw did anyone get a bit of a gay vibe from album and scorpius? their friendship was very intense in a way that Harry's and Ron's never was. And there was a weird scene where scorpius was so jealous about albus liking Delphi...

youngishbear

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 2:23 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Btw did anyone get a bit of a gay vibe from album and scorpius? their friendship was very intense in a way that Harry's and Ron's never was. And there was a weird scene where scorpius was so jealous about albus liking Delphi...

Totally.

But Albus doesn't appear to feel the same way, so that's odd too.

pointyshoes

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 2:30 pm
fmt4 wrote:

I dont think they were gay. They were just lonely social outcasts that all they had was each other.
Harry and Ron were liked by other people too.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:10 pm
watergirl wrote:
Why? What was his curse

He was a slytherin in a gryffindor family, he lacked all his dad's talent, Harry wished he weren't his son.

Why was Delphi the cursed child?

*anonymous because I'm a seriously devout Potterhead IRL*

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:11 pm
fmt4 wrote:

100% noticed the same, seemed blatant to me

youngishbear

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
He was a slytherin in a gryffindor family, he lacked all his dad's talent, Harry wished he weren't his son.

Why was Delphi the cursed child?

*anonymous because I'm a seriously devout Potterhead IRL*

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we really are, far more than our abilities."

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:36 pm
youngishbear wrote:
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we really are, far more than our abilities."

Not that Albus was bad. That he was unlucky! The ending definitely works for everyone, but I thought Albus's 'inferiority' drove the storyline until then.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 9:02 pm
fmt4 wrote:

I was getting this for a while (although at the same time scorpius seemed to be crushing on Rose...) but eventually the sense went away. Lol I wonder if she wanted to make them gay but thought it would irritate/annoy/alienate a lot of fans?

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 9:26 pm
tryinghard wrote:
I was getting this for a while (although at the same time scorpius seemed to be crushing on Rose...) but eventually the sense went away. Lol I wonder if she wanted to make them gay but thought it would irritate/annoy/alienate a lot of fans?

I didnt see the gayness at all. More like brothas from another motha. Guys hug.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics