Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can my 4 month old start eating solids? Which ones?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 9:24 am
Which ones are good to start with and what should I avoid giving? Is it too early for a little bit?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 9:55 am
AAP recommends starting solids at 6 months

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 10:34 am
Speak to your doctor first.

I have kids who started at four months but that was due to reflux and the thought that the food might make the child feel better. Two I started at a little over five months with the go ahead from my doctor. I was told to start with vegetables and then fruit. My doctor is not so keen on the cereals because they tend to constipate.

But again I would not start unless you speak to your doctor first.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 10:36 am
Don't do it unless it's medically necessary, and it rarely is. At 4 months the nutrition from nursing or formula is so so important and solid foods will take away from those vital nutrients.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 10:39 am
My oldest was tiny and not meeting all of his milestones. Looking back he was probably borderline failure to thrive. I started a bit of rice cereal at 4 1/2 months and I think it did help him a lot. He didn't start any fruits or veggies until closer to 6 months though.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 12:14 pm
My baby refused to take any bottles, even pumped milk. I worked twice a week for about 5 hours. I nursed him right before and after. The sitter did try giving him a bottle but usually wasn't successful. So I started giving him baby jars from about 4 1/2 months. It worked for us (he nursed for 20 months!) but I guess it doesn't hurt to run it by your doctor first.

Teomima

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 12:24 pm
Here in Israel the advice used to be to give babies small "tastings"starting at 4 months, just to get them adjusted to new flavors and textures, but not to really start feeding them till 6 months. I guess a lot of parents feed their kids too much too early so they've now changed the guidelines to wait till 6 months for anything. But I guess I'm a bit stuck in my ways and I started giving a small fingerful to my currently 6-mo starting 2 months ago. I forwent baby cereals and gave her techina, avocado, cooked pureed carrots, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, bananas...a new food every few days, just a touch at a time.

pond user

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 12:59 pm
It's really best to avoid solids before 6 months. Also once you decide to start Teomima's advice is great. Try to avoid grains until 12 months as it's hard for baby to digest before then. Egg yolks, avocado, banana, liver steamed veg like sweet potato are all great starter foods.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 1:27 pm
So I'm a big believer in "baby will know when they are ready" - my daughter starting looking/being interested in our food at like three months, but as I've never heard of anything earlier than four months, we waited till then to let her try a couple different veggies. But then, she still has the "push things out of her mouth" reflex, so now at almost five months, we've still only done tiny tastes of I think three different vegetables.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 2:29 pm
The official recommended first food for babies is actually puréed chicken that has been cooked in chicken soup and then blended until it's baby food consistency.

I believe the reasoning behind this is that if food is displacing vital nutrients, the food should have a large amount of natural nutrients. Chicken provides babies with iron, fat, protein and no sugar. And many more vitamins and minerals as well.

agreer

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 2:58 pm
My pediatrician says you can start between 4-6 months...

Apparently, it doesn't really matter what food you start with, but it's best to start wheat/barley between 4-7 months as it reduces allergies

PassionFruit

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:45 pm
My ped says to start when your baby is drinking 28 oz of milk a day or when your baby is 19 pounds. I have three boys and they all started at 4 months because they were just not getting full from milk. I start with rice cereal, then rice cereal with cinnamon, then pears (easy to digest) and any other puree after that mixed with rice cereal. At six months I start oatmeal or any other grain. At about 7-8 months they can chew pieces of banana and stuff. You do one food every four days to check if the kid has a reaction.

twogees

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:14 pm
I started at about 6 months with cereal...pm me if you want rice cereal as I have a few closed packages left from my child...

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:14 am
4 months is too young, for many reasons. The World Health Organization recommends not beginning solids before 6 months of age. In fact, many organizations recommend the best time to introduce solids is 6-8 months of age. The main signs of "readiness" for solids are being able to sit upright fully unsupported, loss of the tongue thrust reflex, and reaching for objects/foods and trying to put them in their mouths. When all of those things are happening, this correlates with maturity of the gut to be able to handle solids. The gut typically changes from an "open gut," which is better for easily absorbing all the benefits of breast milk, to a "closed gut," which is better at protecting the body from any outside agents (I.e those that would be introduced with food) at 6 months of age. Higher rates of obesity have also been found in studies which followed infants who were fed solids before 6 months.

It's also important to remember that the stage between 6-9 months when babies are first exposed to solid foods, it is NOT for nutrition. Babies do not begin to need any nutrition from solid foods until about the 9 month-1 year mark. The period between 6-9 months is mostly for learning about different foods, tastes, textures, developing dexterity for bringing food to the mouth, developing mashing/chewing skills, maturing swallow skills, and the body learning how to digest different things. I highly recommend looking into baby led weaning for more on how to introduce solids.

As a side note, I would not recommend rice cereals for babies as they've been found to have high levels of arsenic.

gold21

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 4:01 am
I love how the rules for babies keep changing. My kids have all started baby food when they seemed ready, somewhere about 4 and a half months. I don't see any reason to change that going forward...

bigblueyes

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 4:10 am
funnyface wrote:
My ped says to start when your baby is drinking 28 oz of milk a day or when your baby is 19 pounds. I have three boys and they all started at 4 months because they were just not getting full from milk. I start with rice cereal, then rice cereal with cinnamon, then pears (easy to digest) and any other puree after that mixed with rice cereal. At six months I start oatmeal or any other grain. At about 7-8 months they can chew pieces of banana and stuff. You do one food every four days to check if the kid has a reaction.

19 lbs?! My 20 m.o is barely 19 lbs imagine if I waited until now!

gp2.0

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:34 am
gold21 wrote:
I love how the rules for babies keep changing. My kids have all started baby food when they seemed ready, somewhere about 4 and a half months. I don't see any reason to change that going forward...

It's called progress...our ideas and beliefs should change when new information is discovered.

I know people who feel the same way about car seats..."my older kids survived just fine without car seats, no reason for my younger kids to buckle up"...

gold21

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 10:14 am
gp2.0 wrote:
It's called progress...our ideas and beliefs should change when new information is discovered.

I know people who feel the same way about car seats..."my older kids survived just fine without car seats, no reason for my younger kids to buckle up"...

You say progress, I say confusion.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 10:33 am
gold21 wrote:
You say progress, I say confusion.

Whatever...your parenting is your prerogative. Even if you choose to dismiss agencies who have no ulterior motive and are just trying to increase the overall health of children worldwide.

gold21

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:20 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Whatever...your parenting is your prerogative. Even if you choose to dismiss agencies who have no ulterior motive and are just trying to increase the overall health of children worldwide.

Lol

Its not like they came out with a study highlighting the dangers and risks of giving solids to a baby under 6 months.

They simply changed their recommendations, based on what they believe to be more ideal- not because the alternative is dangerous. If you know anything about pediatrics, you know that its an ever-changing field and that we can both be sure that these recommendations will change again in the near future.

Anyway, im open to waiting and seeing, and discussing with my pediatrician- its not set in stone that ill give baby food at 4 and a half months. I simply find it humorous that recommendations change so often and seem to be so unstable, and yet, it is deemed criminal in the Mommy Universe for a parent to be hesitant about the changes.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics