Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How much can a cleaning lady do in 2 hours?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 10:45 am
I'd never had a cleaning lady before but near the end of my pregnancy I developed a problem with my back which meant that some cleaning tasks were too painful, so I decided to get a CL for a couple of hours per week.

Some of my friends have very good cleaning ladies but none of them had any availability, however, one of them gave me the number of her friend who was available.

We have a small apartment, 90mq and I explained that above all else, I wanted the floors to be cleaned. All the floors are tiled, three have small, loose rugs that need vacuuming. I was also hoping that in the 2 hours, she would also be able to do some other cleaning, like the bath and basin and wiping surfaces but I told her to concentrate on the floors.

To cut along story short, the cleaner came for 2 weeks, 2 hours each time and both times she missed one floor because she ran out of time. She insisted on vacuuming the entire floor of each room before mopping it (instead of sweeping as I suggested) but I felt that she should have been able to get more done in the time.

She did not have to pick up anything off the floor, only the small plastic stool my kids use to reach the sink, I had cleared all the other floors (which was also a problem for my back but I wanted to get as much done in the time as possible.) With the floors cleared, I can probably mop them all in around 30 mins.

I expected the cleaner to take longer than I would have, but I felt that 2 hours was more than enough, and she still didn't manage to do it. On the second week, I reiterated that the most important thing was that all floors got cleaned, but still she missed one room.

Now the cleaner is on holiday and I have told her that I'll let her know for September when she'll be back, but do my expectations sound unreasonable or is she working really slowly? I don't think I'll ask her to come back because it is not worth it to me to pay that money for the amount of work that she was getting done, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to try to find someone who would work more quickly or whether my expectations are too high.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 11:01 am
In 2 hrs, she should be able to sweep & mop all the floors, and clean the bathrooms well, 2 bathrooms.
This is MORE than enough time to do this in.

I had a cleaning lady for Pesach. I had to be on top of her the whole time. She wanted to spend a 1/2 hr to clean the outside of my washer and dryer. Of course I didn't let her. She didn't come back.

This is why I pay for the job not by the hr.
I need a,b,c,d, done for x amount of pay.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 11:18 am
In 2 hours, she should be able to do all the floors, the bathrooms and the kitchen counter and sinks.

nursemomma

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 11:46 am
That sounds like more than enough time to do the floors plus some extras. Some hired help know that you're only keeping them x hrs, so they'll slack off and work slower (since its time you're looking at, not work accomplished). I would suggest trying to find a new CL, and for starters, tell her nicely but firmly that you expect all the floors (plus whatever else-within reason) to be done by ____ time.

kb

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 11:49 am
I have a 2 bedroom apartment, 1 bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room dining room area. And a hallway.

In 2 hours, my cleaning lady cleans the entire apartment (but not my bedroom) and folds a week's worth of laundry.

And when she comes late, she still gets it all done.

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 12:24 pm
I think she's not a good fit for you . My cleaning lady cleans my whole place in 3 hours Including cleaning a very dirty kitchen ( washing dishes) and doing laundry. I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry