Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What do you think about sending 2 year olds to school?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 5:48 pm
Do you think it's best for 2 year olds to be home with their mothers, go to day care, play group, or a structured school setting? Do 2 year olds who go to school (meaning a group with structured activities) as opposed to those who go to day care (babysitting but no real structured activities) do better in school later on?

cm

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 5:54 pm
Depends on the baby and the mother.

I kept mine home at that age and she did fine in school later on.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:03 pm
Two year olds belong with their mother. There are no benefits of sending them to school. That's not to say they will be harmed if you do send them, but they Definitely won't be harmed if you skip it.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:06 pm
I send all my kids to school at 2, and it's not because I think it's objectively better, but because it's better for us. I'm not so good with toddlers and they benefit more from being in play group than being with me. I do think once you're sending out, a structured situation is better. The fact is, if I kept them home, I would want them to have a structured environment as well. Since I don't feel capable of providing that all day long for a 2 year old, I defer to those who are better at it than I am, as in, the play group morahs.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:09 pm
I mostly agree that they belong at home. I think a part time program can be nice too though if you can find one and its not a money thing. I was pretty against sending my almost year 2 year old anywhere this coming year but I realized his brother wont come home from school until 4 and he might be a little lonely so I am looking into part time options.

You don't say when your child's birthday is but a just turning two year old is very different from an almost 3 year old so that factors into it also. My older son is a winter birthday so technically when he started playgroup he was 2 but most of the year he was three. I think it was very beneficial for him. My younger child is a fall birthday so he really will be 2 for the whole school year which makes me feel like its less necessary.

sourstix

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:10 pm
How much structure do they need? They need attention and someone to care for them. If you can't then find someone else. But I feel a babysitter is the next best option. They don't need a lot of structure. "They are 2 years old" keep that in mind. They need flexibility. Structure comes with age and maturity

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:11 pm
I teach 2 year olds in an actual school setting. It really depends on your situation. I think ideally at that age, children should be home with mom. But in this day and age, when one income just doesn't cover expenses (for most of us), and moms also have to work, sometimes the young kids need somewhere to be while mom is out! Now, I will admit, some parents have told me "I send them because I really need a break". If it was once in awhile, I'd say yes you deserve a break, but you need a 5 hr break every day?? That disappoints me. So yes, judge your situation. I don't think any options are better than the next, they will all learn either way if you teach them what they need to know when you're with them. If needed, school/playgroup could be a great option. Hatzlacha deciding!

sourstix

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:13 pm
I find that they need a social outlet. They get bored at home if it's only you all day. But I don't think they need enormous structure.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:23 pm
I teach two year olds in a regular school setting as well. I do think it's beneficial in a lot of ways for them to be in a structured setting without their mother for a couple hours a day.
On the other hand, it is also of course beneficial in a lot of ways for them to be with their mother all day! So I really don't judge, each parent makes their own decision and at that age I don't think it's detrimental to have them in a school or program for a few hours a day. In my experience, they only gain from it.
(Babies and younger toddlers are a different story, and I strongly believe they should be with their mothers or a private babysitter if at all possible)

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:26 pm
Two year olds need a lot of love an attention and opportunity to explore and learn. If a mother can provide that, it is ideal. If a mother cannot (she works or is not patient), second best is finding an outstanding babysitter to shower love and stimulate the child. Two year olds have enough socialization from siblings or park outings. They do not need best friends. After that, between an unstructured playgroup or a structured one, I would pick a structured one. That's because they are licenced, organized, and responsible by law to have certain standards in place, whereas a "haimish" one in someone's basement has no one to answer to. For all you know, she straps babies in strollers and lets them scream for punishments (happened to my son) or spends half the time on the phone with her mom. How would you know, your baby isn't very verbal and she doesn't have anyone looking over her shoulder.

SRS

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:28 pm
If mom is home, keep the little ones home. While kids each have their own innate nature, I think the idea that kids must be out or they will be "bored" is one of the more dangerous ideas about child development. A toddler enjoys reading and snuggling with Mommy, playing little games, going to the park, interacting with Mommy in the kitchen and around the home. I think a lot of kids are provided with too much action and not enough quiet time and then they become bored because they've been conditioned to such. They simply haven't had the opportunity to sit with a puzzle and do what is actually more normal for children which is repeating the same thing over and over again which expands their concentration skills or having longer periods of time to just be. Another counterproductive idea is that little ones must socially interact. I think many children become quit stressed by continual social interaction. At this age, kids engage in parallel play, but I've found larger daycares tend to push a lot of interaction upon kids that aren't really ready. Just my own opinion.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:
I teach 2 year olds in an actual school setting. It really depends on your situation. I think ideally at that age, children should be home with mom. But in this day and age, when one income just doesn't cover expenses (for most of us), and moms also have to work, sometimes the young kids need somewhere to be while mom is out! Now, I will admit, some parents have told me "I send them because I really need a break". If it was once in awhile, I'd say yes you deserve a break, but you need a 5 hr break every day?? That disappoints me. So yes, judge your situation. I don't think any options are better than the next, they will all learn either way if you teach them what they need to know when you're with them. If needed, school/playgroup could be a great option. Hatzlacha deciding!

Wow, your judginess disappoints me. Who are you to determine who deserves or needs a break, and for how long?? You don't know another person's situation even if you think you do. YOU might not need such a break but another mother might.

Most people do not know, but I suffer from a chronic illness and honestly I would be disgusted if someone judged me for my "breaks". Ugh.

imasinger

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:33 pm
I think it's a decision that each parent has to make for his or her own circumstance. I have taught music in many places that take 2 year olds, and have seen them thrive. There is such joy for me and for them in teaching children that I have seen grow from toddlerhood!

If the school/daycare is high quality (observe for yourself), then do what is best for your family's needs.

Kids need love and attention. As long as a competent caring adult is giving it to them, they will thrive.

PassionFruit

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:37 pm
I've walked by doors of way too many babysitting groups the "haimish" type and heard yelling and crying and all kinds of sounds you wouldn't want to hear from your child's babysitting group. When someone is licenced to change diapers, it means they were checked for a criminal record, inspected for cleanliness, and follow other government rules such as ratio of teacher to child. If the group you are interested in has a licence, you can then look into things like flexibility, nap times, or what they would do if your child is upset, as well as their views on discipline and anything else you think is important to know about.

In most cases, a two year old cannot explain you exactly what is going on in school because their language is not up to par. These are the formative years. A child this age needs tons of love and attention, and social interaction is NOT necessary for their development just yet.

If a mother can, she should parent her child at home! There is nothing better than that! If not, either a one on one babysitter in your home (that you can eavesdrop on) or an established, licenced place will be fine.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:53 pm
I am a playgroup Morah for 2 yr olds. Here is my opinion: If you are working and therefore need somewhere for your child to go, then you should look for a playgroup with at least two morahs, lots of space to play (indoors and outdoors), a certain amount of structure in the day and make sure that the morahs have qualifications and lots of common sense. You would be amazed at the number of subs I have had working with me in place of my assistant who just have no common sense nad do not how to haandle the emotional needs of other peoples kids.

If you are not working, then best is to keep your child home with you, unless they are an 'older 2 yr old' in ohter words if they are turning 3 early in the year then they would benefit more from a playgroup or ohter program than a younger 2 yr old would.
Mother is always best, however hard we morahs work to make sure each child's needs are met, we can never do a perfect job, its impossible.
Keep your child home as long as you can. I would not send my own children to school or plagyroup before age 3.5 or 4 - that's why I chose an occupation that I can do from home. My kids are with me, sometimes that's hard, but at least they get to stay home with mom.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 6:54 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Two year olds belong with their mother. There are no benefits of sending them to school. That's not to say they will be harmed if you do send them, but they Definitely won't be harmed if you skip it.

I don't think any baby would be harmed for not going to daycare/school but it's a bit preachy to say that 2 year olds belong with their mother. 2 week old, definitely. 2 month old, very likely. 2 year old, whatever works for the individual family. Many, many families choose other options, whether a nanny (not the mother) or daycare/school. My 19 month old is doing fantastically in daycare: much, much better than she would be home with me all day. They offer her so much more than I can offer her.

Every family is different. There is no should

Volunteer

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:17 pm
sourstix wrote:
I find that they need a social outlet. They get bored at home if it's only you all day. But I don't think they need enormous structure.

Mine gets very overwhelmed in social situations with lots ofother kids. He needs calm at this stage. It depends on the child's temperment.

He's happy as a clam and thriving at home with mommy. We do lots of activities together at home and outside.

I agree with your other point about structure. Fllexibility is more important to respond to their needs. That is difficult to achieve in a group setting with many other children.

Last edited by Volunteer on Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
Do you think it's best for 2 year olds to be home with their mothers, go to day care, play group, or a structured school setting? Do 2 year olds who go to school (meaning a group with structured activities) as opposed to those who go to day care (babysitting but no real structured activities) do better in school later on?

A lot depends on the child.. Some kids thrive on structure and social atmosphere while others are more "mommy " kids. It also depends on the mommy, and if she has strength to have patience for her child the whole day.
My daughter thrived in playgroup. She started eating normal food because of peer pressure (which at home was a huge struggle and she is very fussy about what she eats while in playgroup she would eat bread with chumus or veggies for a snack)

sweetpotato

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:25 pm
Depends on the needs of the child and the needs of the mother. I sent my daughter to preschool, full day (9-5) starting at age 2 (she was in daycare for a few months before that). I work from home so I could theoretically keep her home but it wouldn't work well for my sanity, and she totally thrives at school. It's a beautiful, progressive Jewish school and even though it's a bit of a sacrifice to send her (and soon BH my younger daughter) it's worth it over a cheaper option. She loves the routines, other children, learning, the morahs... she blossoms in so many ways I don't think she would if she was home all day with me. But different children have different needs at that age.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:36 pm
I find it interesting how here and IRL I hear people who actually teach that age say that it's better to keep your kid home if possible
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics