Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
At what age did your kids start wearing Deodorant?
1  2  Next

Mishie

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 10:15 am
My 2 boys (ages 9 and 7.5) asked me if they can start wearing deodorant.

Is this too early?

P.S. I make sure they shower every evening before dinner.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 10:42 am
I would think 7.5 is too early and unnecessary.

as far as the older one, what would prompt him to come up with such a question?? do the boys in his class tease him cuz he doesnt?? does he just think its cool or does he really need it?

to me, it sounds like a peer-pressure type of issue, and while IMHO I think they are too young, maybe let the older one have it so he doesnt feel different from his buddies.

greentiger

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 11:32 am
OTOH make sure he doesn't really need it yet. I remember having a girl in my class at 10 YO and she needed deodorant so bad...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 11:44 am
If I'm not wrong, people only need deo after puberty, so 13/14 should be right to begin to think of it?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 11:47 am
just a health advisory-

if youdo get your kid/s deodorant, get them the kind that is only deodorant, not anti-perspirant. the aluminum in anti-perspirant basically clogs pores, preventing the sweat from coming out along with the bacteria the sweat rids the body of. if a kid thinks it's cool to use deodorant, he may want to use it more frequently than necessary, and the aluminum can cause serious infections if used too frequently.

greentiger

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 11:49 am
Maybe you can just get them body spray and tell them they'll get deo when they need, it's probably some school trend or something...

chen

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 11:49 am
They need it once they hit puberty. if he's actually showing signs of puberty, take him to a pediatric endocrinologist--9 is on the young side for this.

I agree with twizzler--do some digging. If it's just to be "cool", skip it. If his pals say he stinks, check out the rest of his personal hygiene. Is he showering thoroughly? Does he wipe himself well enough after a bowel movement? ("Skid marks" on his underwear are a dead giveaway, so you probably already know the answer.) What about his feet? Is he changing his socks and undergarments every day?

If he really smells bad despite good personal habits, have him try using baking soda, either straight or mixed with some cornstarch. If that doesn't do the trick, see a doctor. Sometimes offensive body odor can be a sign of a metabolic disorder.

If he smells fine but just wants to be "cool"--try to talk him out of it. Or make him an environmentally friendly home brew by pouring a few drops of some essential oil like peppermint or lime into a small spray bottle of witch hazel. If he wants to be "cool" he may not go for the home brew, but want the real thing to prove he's a grownup. check with your pediatrician to find out if there's any problem with a child of this age using a roll-on or stick deodorant. If not, go for it. At least it's not smoking or body-piercing. Avoid the sprays, though--they are not appropriate for young children for many reasons ranging from flammability to narcotic effects to lung effects.

Mishie

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 1:50 am
It's prob. just a "Cool" thing....

And, I was gonna give him a "Speed Stick" to use....

ChavieK

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 2:15 am
I've had some of the boys ask by about 9.First, they need deoderant before puberty.9 may be a bit young but if his friends are using it it's not that big a deal. But as mummie said not anti perspersant.

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 3:41 am
Ruchel wrote:
If I'm not wrong, people only need deo after puberty, so 13/14 should be right to begin to think of it?

Oh, no no no no...

You have obviously never been in a classroom full of sweaty 5th graders on a 90 degree day. Some of them need deodorant!!! Basically, my kids have gotten it when they started to stink. It varied by child when that was, but it was definitely before puberty. Around 9 or 10.

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 3:50 am
Interesting:
Quote:
According to the 1997 study's principal author, Dr. Marcia Herman-Giddens, the age of the onset of puberty (I.e., first signs of pubic hair and breasts) is much younger than previously believed. While medical textbooks had put the age of puberty onset at between 11 and 12, the study found that the average age for white girls is actually closer to 10. For African-American girls, the study reported, puberty usually starts just under age 9.

lilacdreams

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 7:36 am
lol, a question I asked recently!

my kids aged almost 10 and 11.5 stink after a long day! They shower everyday also, change their clothes everyday, and wear cotton clothing - and I encourage them to wash underarms when they first walk in the door, otherwise we are all gagging! I guess its just hot here in Israel in the summer!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 7:46 am
9 is NOT too young! I also have taught 4th, 5th and 6th grade. And, after gym? My classroom smelled like a barn. 4th grade is usu. young, but fifth grade is totally normal to start going through puberty. And, as chava said earlier, it depends on the child individually and many times their ethnic group.

I had many students in fifth grade that had already gone through (the girls mostly) puberty, but in my last school, some as young as 3rd grade!

As for body spray, I would def. say NO WAY! As a teacher, I had to ban it in my classroom b/c I and some of the children couldn't breathe b/c the kids would spray half of the can on. Then, they would bring it to school and spray some more on b/c they were insecure, or just thought it was cool.

You can get Tom's natural deoderant, it's more healthy and it works (dh uses it Smile).

Your son, probably wants to fit in and either was made fun of or wants to do it b/c everyone else is.

What's the big deal?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 7:47 am
Oh yeah, but I def. think that 7 is too young. Have him wait until he's 9.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 7:51 am
definately let the 9 year old ... puberty signs actually can start that young ... with the smelling of course ... my girls definately started around that age ... 10 ... why wait till they smell anyway ... usually that is the age they don't care so I say grab em while you can ... whether it is an in thing or not ... it's kool to be klean ... I think my son was later - but not by much ...

Mishie

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 2:02 pm
I'm pretty strict with them about taking showers every evening. And, they also put on a fresh pair of underwear when they get dressed the next morning.

I told them today that I think it's a better idea to wait with the deodorant, and instead they can put some baby-powder under their arms, in the morning, to help them feel fresh.

They were happy with that!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 2:08 pm
Good for you, I guess you know your kids pretty well Smile

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 6:18 pm
What age is the norm for a boy to hit puberty..pubic hair...

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 6:46 pm
All children are different. It depends on the ethnic group, etc.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:13 pm
around 10 or 11 ... depends on the particular boy ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children