Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Balabusta

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 12:50 pm
I am an aspiring balabusta and always looking to be better! Smile when you think of a balabusta, what comes to mind??

glamourmom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 12:53 pm
wonderfully balanced cooked meals, 3 a day. sparkling, lemon-scented house. gleaming silver. all iron clothes folded to perfection. calm, smiling children, you looking put together and like all the above happens on it's own.
good luck. Smile

Benevolence

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:09 pm
glamourmom wrote:
wonderfully balanced cooked meals, 3 a day. sparkling, lemon-scented house. gleaming silver. all iron clothes folded to perfection. calm, smiling children, you looking put together and like all the above happens on it's own.
good luck. Smile

Meaning
Everything I wish I was but I'm not 😂

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:12 pm
Its all in the organization and the lists, lists, lists!
You have to write down everything you want done, how often you want it done and then make a realistic scedule
And always have marble cake!

glamourmom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:21 pm
RIGHT-O. how could I forget the miniatures and delectable cookies and confections in the freezer?

should have been the first thing I thought of. a well stocked freezer.

glamourmom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:21 pm
Benevolence wrote:
Meaning
Everything I wish I was but I'm not 😂

don't worry. I'm none of these things either.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:
I am an aspiring balabusta and always looking to be better! Smile when you think of a balabusta, what comes to mind??

My planner, of course (see my signature line)! Making lists and schedules really does help — without them my home would be a complete balagan.

The Mythical Balabusta: A very organized person. Geshikt. House looks like the maid left maybe 5 minutes ago. Clean, well-dressed and well-behaved kids. Dinner on time. Home runs on schedule.

My reality: A very spontaneous person. Batampte. House looks like the maid ran away years ago. Happy, curious and creative (grand)kids. Dinner 10 minutes late, more or less. Home runs on coffee.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 6:36 pm
Sorry to rain on your parade, ladies, but I detest the term balabosteh. The third syllable is pronounced BOSS and that's what I think of when I hear the word--a bossy, domineering person who knows everything better than you, from how you should shape your challah to how you should bring up your kids. In my childhood we used it as a pejorative, usually aimed at an older sister or classmate with a steamroller personality. A balabosteh wasn't malicious like a machashefeh or nasty like a klavteh, but she was supremely irritating.

Talk to me about a "beriah", which is a word I haven't heard anyone use in about 45 years, and which was a term of the highest praise. It meant someone who accomplished much in the domestic arts. You wouldn't be called a beriah for running a marathon, but you'd be one if you cleaned your room top to bottom, reorganized your dresser drawers and baked a chocolate cake , all on your day off.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 7:38 pm
glamourmom wrote:
good luck. Smile

I don't know anyone who's all of the above. I know some people whose homes are spotless but cooking is so-so, or they put a lot of time into their kids but the house is a little neglected. Or excellent cook+housekeeper but don't always look stylish.

If there is someone out there who is 4/4 I haven't met her yet.

glamourmom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
I don't know anyone who's all of the above. I know some people whose homes are spotless but cooking is so-so, or they put a lot of time into their kids but the house is a little neglected. Or excellent cook+housekeeper but don't always look stylish.

If there is someone out there who is 4/4 I haven't met her yet.

zaq, you made me laugh. Smile

amother quoted, I know a few people like that. I don't know what goes on in their life when I'm not there or how it's possible for one person to be all those things but I know what I see. I don't aspire to be a "4 out of 4" so I didn't study how it's possible....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics