Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Part time pay. What can I expect. KJ
1  2  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:12 pm
I have an interview scheduled for a part time position.
I've been out of the work force for three years now.

Skills needed for the job is good comunication skills and some computer knowledge.
In the past I made $25 an hour ($375 for a 15 hour work week) for part time in brooklyn what can I expect in KJ.

From what I understand I'm way overqualified for the job. But if the pay is ok and the hours are right. It might be a good fit.

Also, I have a baby that'll need babysitting. And I'll need to pay $100 a month more for tuition for my older kid to accommodate the hours.

Maya

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:19 pm
Am I correct in assuming it's a secretarial position in an office? If so, I wouldn't expect a a starting salary of more than $12-14 an hour.

What you should do is mention that your previous salary was $25 an hour, and you'd like something comparable to that. See how they respond. Some employers have a set amount they are willing to pay and will hire someone who will accept that, while others are looking for a skill set and are willing to pay whatever is asked. Try your luck.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:33 pm
Good idea maya. Thank you.
Now I have to set up my desktop. It's been packed away for over a year now. I hope I'll find my resume Confused

Any kjers here that know the going rate in kj?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 7:54 am
Bump

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 8:21 am
We started our full time secretary almost a year ago with $10 aiming for $12 after abt 3 months. (According to what I heard that is the starting rate) We have since raised her salary to $13.5 without her asking, cause we really appreciate what she does.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 1:38 pm
The average secretary starts bw $10-15

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 2:28 pm
You guys aren't kidding me, right?

Child care will be $175. And you say ill be making between $200 and $300 (if lucky). How do people pay the bills here?

acemom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 2:40 pm
I would assume most people starting at similar jobs are high school graduates, so the pay is as quoted.

If an employee continues working at the same place for several years, usually there are several raises and bonuses involved. Ultimately, at the point in life you currently are, the wage would be higher.

I don't agree that salary should relate to employees expenses but that is the reality, unfortunately.

Maya

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
You guys aren't kidding me, right?

Child care will be $175. And you say ill be making between $200 and $300 (if lucky). How do people pay the bills here?

What acemom said.

Employees get paid according to a position, not how old they are or how many children they have. This is the going rate for secretarial work, and your life circumstances are not taken into consideration because they likely have other candidates lined up who don't have your expenses. Unless you bring a unique set of skills that they need, there is nothing special about this job that would pay $25 an hour as a starting salary.

This is why people earn degrees, so they have a marketable specialty.

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 2:53 pm
Maya wrote:
What acemom said.

Employees get paid according to a position, not how old they are or how many children they have. This is the going rate for secretarial work, and your life circumstances are not taken into consideration because they likely have other candidates lined up who don't have your expenses. Unless you bring a unique set of skills that they need, there is nothing special about this job that would pay $25 an hour as a starting salary.

This is why people earn degrees, so they have a marketable specialty.

Right. In the real world. Rmemeber that Where op is, "girls" get paid less then married ladies. So a 23 year old "girl" gets less than the 18 year old with fake hair.

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
We started our full time secretary almost a year ago with $10 aiming for $12 after abt 3 months. (According to what I heard that is the starting rate) We have since raised her salary to $13.5 without her asking, cause we really appreciate what she does.

Wow. The starting salary for graduates where I live is around $13-14 an hour.

Do people really work for $10 an hour? What if they need childcare- they're coming home with around $4 an hour? Is babysitting much cheaper where you are ?

Maya

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 3:24 pm
Exactly why we need a $15/hour minimum wage in this country... People can't seem to figure it out for themselves.

OP, can you report on the salary discussion after the interview?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 4:18 pm
I don't think anyone is hiring at $10/hour anymore, but $12/hour is still considered normal for graduates. However several offices offer starting rates of $15/hour. So I'd say $12-$15 is the range now.

I've heard of people getting lucky with jobs paying $25/hour in Brooklyn but I never got that lucky. It's not very common from what I hear. Most people earning in that range put in a few years at the company first.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 5:01 pm
9 yrs ago I was working in an office in BP and earning $32 an hour. When I moved to another state I was appalled that the most I was able to earn was $15 an hour. I stopped working after 6 months - it just wasn't worth it with child care costs. I don't think the salary amounts have changed that much. If you are a real expert at what you are doing you will get paid more.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 8:22 pm
Maya wrote:
Exactly why we need a $15/hour minimum wage in this country... People can't seem to figure it out for themselves.

Neither can economists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....ttle/

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 8:36 pm
A teacher's assistant in most Jewish schools in Chicago also pays like $10 per hour. Same with a shadow.
There are many jobs that make way under $15. Most are jobs that don't require a degree.

As much as it's a bummer to work for $10 an hour, which I have done for almost 2 years now until I finish my training, I don't agree that minimum wage would be $15. It would put so many small business's out of business.
It would raise the costs of almost everything which relies on minimum wage workers I.e. restaurants, grocery stores, etc. and by definition cost of living would significantly increase.
It makes sense that while earning minimum wage one has to work full time to make ends meet, that is why the concept exists of getting training and a degree to make more.
Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be long term.

shirachadasha

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 8:43 pm
It might be worthwhile to accept a low take-home pay now if you think your pay will move upward steadily. Can you learn news skills at this job? If so, view it as a low-paying internship to get you to your next position.

real israeli

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 9:04 pm
She wrote in the op that she is overqualified for the job. Can I ask why you are taking a job that you are over qualified for instead of looking for something that requires your skills and will pay $25/hour?

Maya

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 9:08 pm
sky wrote:
Neither can economists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....ttle/

What's your point?

Let's break it down for this immediate situation, this OP.
If she earns $10 an hour working twenty hours a week, she is left with literally $5 after childcare. But if she earns $15 an hour working the same amount of hours, her income is $125 after childcare.

So we don't really care about some economics article, when the benefits for most of the situations are very clear. Besides, people should be given the chance to earn a livable wage, some minor fringe setbacks notwithstanding.

willygirl

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 11:08 pm
Following
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics