Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How do you know that sheitals are really mutter?
1  2  3  4  Next

rimon613

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 7:35 pm
Do you know which Gedolei Hador approve of Sheitals (vs. tichels or hats)?

trixx

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 7:46 pm
The Lubavitcher Rebbe and that's good enough for me.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 7:47 pm
The wife of every rav in my community, both of my very frum grandmothers, and my very frum mother and mother in law, all wear sheitels, so does almost everyone I know. That's good enough for me.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 7:49 pm
Yes, the Lubavticher Rebbe said that Sheitels were preferable to cloth head coverings, as they tend to cover better.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 7:50 pm
rimon613 wrote:
Do you know which Gedolei Hador approve of Sheitals (vs. tichels or hats)?

To many of us, if something isn't assur, it's muttar. (IOW, the default isn't "everything is assur, prove it's muttar".) So you go first- what makes you think it's assur?

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:05 pm
WhatFor wrote:
To many of us, if something isn't assur, it's muttar. (IOW, the default isn't "everything is assur, prove it's muttar".) So you go first- what makes you think it's assur?

Liking this wasn't enough Thumbs Up

rimon613

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:32 pm
One of the reasons that I think it might be assur is the fact that so many Gedolei HaDor are against it. I wish I had proof that it's allowed so that I could feel comfortable wearing it.

shoshanim999

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:38 pm
rimon613 wrote:
One of the reasons that I think it might be assur is the fact that so many Gedolei HaDor are against it. I wish I had proof that it's allowed so that I could feel comfortable wearing it.

Ok, can you name a few of the "so many" that are against sheitals?

cnc

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:50 pm
rimon613 wrote:

I only know of one gadol that said it's assur and I don't follow any of his shitos, so why would I follow this one?

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 8:57 pm
Yes the Lubavitcher Rebbe, but if you wear the type that he was talking about.
I don't think he meant the long ones that I see too many girls wearing.

Rav Ovadia Yosef was against sheitels.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 9:19 pm
Op, you need to feel comfortable with how you cover your hair.

Do you want to wear sheitels but feel that they are wrong ideologically?

Or do you want to wear tichels but feel uncomfortable wearing them in your community?

Both are valid ways of covering your hair. You need to do what's best for you.

(I have only heard of Rav Ovadia Yosef saying they are assur, and that the Lubavitcher Rebbe said they are preferable. So hashkafically, this will depend on your background as well).

treestump

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 9:26 pm
Just like we don't go around taking every heter that every Rav gives, so too we don't take every issur that every Rav gives.

Of course, there's room for individuality, but consistency is an important thing.

What is your derech in general in Judaism?

There are holy women who wore only tichels. There are holy women who wore only sheitels.

I don't think Rebbetzin Kolodetsky, for example, who wears a sheitel, thinks that it's bedieved to wear a sheitel but wears it because she is not on the madreiga of wearing a tichel yet. I think it would be safer to assume that she is wearing it because that is what is appropriate for her derech.

Maryann

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 6:54 am
its interesting that rav ovadya yosef says you cant wear a sheital but from what I understand he allows hair to show in the front... so he is obviously coming from a whole different angle bc the hair is not fully covered

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 7:25 am
treestump wrote:

I don't think Rebbetzin Kolodetsky, for example, who wears a sheitel, thinks that it's bedieved to wear a sheitel but wears it because she is not on the madreiga of wearing a tichel yet. I think it would be safer to assume that she is wearing it because that is what is appropriate for her derech.

A close relative of mine asked the family of R' Chaim Kanievsky about sheitels, and they said that he holds it's muttar to wear a sheitel as a Kissui Rosh.

Good enough for me!

yamz

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 7:37 am
If you believe (as a huge segment of Orthodox Jewry does) that according to halacha, a married woman must cover her hair, look at the sources. It doesn't say anywhere what a woman should use as a hair covering. So it's all good. Of course there are Rabbis who have voiced preferences for one particular type of covering or another, but that is their opinion. They have no source material for these opinions/preferences. Of course if you believe one type or another is immodest for being too showy, too unusual or not providing enough coverage, that is another matter entirely. If you feel an extravagant, wig with a s@xy hairstyle is immodest, don't wear one!

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 7:38 am
AFAIK R'Ovadia Yosef was against sheitals which is why many sefardic women wear scarfs or hats.

There are many gedolim who are against wearing human hair, natural, long wigs. Maybe. But definitely not all.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 7:41 am
R' Chaim Kanievsky
R' Shmuel Kamenetsky, who happens to be my rav's rav.

My rav doesn't really like very natural sheitels. He holds it should look somewhat like a wig. He encourages women to color their part (I can't say I'm very good about this), not wear very very long, and he is against lace fronts that make it look like you aren't wearing a wig.

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 7:54 am
I think the question is more on WHAT TYPE OF SHEITEL IS MUTAR

I heard once about 15 yrs ago , and don't know if it's true, that ROvadia Yosef said its OK in the US.

Don't know if it's true though.
If someone else knows please post

pond user

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 8:01 am
cbg wrote:
Yes the Lubavitcher Rebbe, but if you wear the type that he was talking about.
I don't think he meant the long ones that I see too many girls wearing.

Rav Ovadia Yosef was against sheitels.

I don't believe the length of another woman's shaitel is any of your concern. However, since you mentioned it, the lubavitcher rebbe set up a fund for people to be able to purchase a first wig that is beautiful and comfortable. Because he knew that those wigs were expensive. He didn't say "make sure it's of a certain length" and neither should you.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 8:03 am
sky wrote:

My rav doesn't really like very natural sheitels. He holds it should look somewhat like a wig. He encourages women to color their part (I can't say I'm very good about this), not wear very very long, and he is against lace fronts that make it look like you aren't wearing a wig.

Same.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels