Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
American Ex-pats, are you going to vote?

rzab

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 10:32 am
I haven't been in the states for any presidential elections since I turned 18 (that's 3 elections).
The first two elections I felt like I could easily move back to ny, so I felt connected to what was going on, but by the last election it became very clear to me that I will not be moving back any time soon.
I enjoy following the politics, but I feel funny voting, knowing that I would never move back.
Besides the fact that in this election, I don't feel comfortable with either candidate, I also feel that my vote doesn't actually count because I'm from NY.

Just wondering how others expats feel about it?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 12:02 pm
Living there has no connection for me except for local initiatives. But I just give my parents one more vote, I vote as they tell me to for the smaller things and make my own decision on the bigger elections.
The candidates foreign policy does affect me though.
Their other views affect people I love and care about.
So yes I vote.
I have absentee through email.

ora_43

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 12:23 pm
Nope. I don't trust myself to vote in a fair way, since I don't plan to actually live there.

I used to feel more strongly about not voting, but in recent years there's been so much US involvement in the ME that I feel like people who live abroad might deserve a say. It turns out you have to live with the consequences of America's elections even if you don't live there.

Still, for myself, I feel like I'm not personally affected enough to make a truly thoughtful choice (and I know that usually people praise objectivity, not personal involvement, but IMNSHO objectivity is overrated).

m in Israel

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 12:27 pm
I often do -- hey, if I have to pay taxes, I'm entitled to vote!
But in recent years I've been getting more lazy about it. And I have no desire to vote for either Trump or Clinton, so I don't think I'm going to bother to go through the process of absentee voting this year.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 12:40 pm
nope. never voted in america. I was in Israel when I was 18, so I never registered that year. The next election I was lazy and by the next election I was already living in Israel. I think I have missed 6 in all.
I have no desire to vote.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 12:45 pm
If I have to file and pay taxes, or pay an exorbitant sum of money to drop my citizenship, then yes- I have a right to vote on who'll spend my tax dollars.

heidi

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 12:56 pm
There are many things I feel I gave up by moving to Israel.
When I see the very sad state of the candidates for president, I actually can't believe this is what America has come to, and I'm glad I got out of there in time!
I'm not going to vote.
There's no one to vote for.

abound

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 1:18 pm
I won't go out of my way and register to vote for Donald Duck or Mickey mouse, so no, this year I won't vote.

etky

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 1:56 pm
I have voted absentee in every US presidential election since I turned 18 (over 30 years ago shock ).
I pay US taxes and, whether I like it or not, I am still somewhat emotionally invested in the country of my birth, hence I vote.
This year, though I filed months ago for my ballot, I will not be voting.
AFAIC, both candidates are beyond the pale.

rzab

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 9:24 pm
Paying taxes is a good point. I guess I never thought of that because even though I file every year I haven't had to pay yet as I always get a refund.

Still the options of candidates doesn't make it seem appealing and neither does the fact that I feel like my vote doesnt actually count
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics