Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Havdallah after shabbos if not fasting

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 1:48 pm
I was told I can't fast by both doctors and rav. But I completely forgot to ask the rabbi about what to do regarding havdallah on motzei shabbos. And I can't get thru to him now.
For those who aren't fasting, what were you told to do? Are u supposed to make your own full havdallah or can you eat and wait till havdallah on Sunday?

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 1:50 pm
I was told to make my own havdala on grape juice or beer before eating.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:02 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
I was told to make my own havdala on grape juice or beer before eating.

Oh no. I am diabetic and pregnant. No way can only drink either. Hmmm I wonder if I can make havdalah for kids and have one of them drink it, like we do on 9 days. And this way kids will think I am making havdalah so they can eat.

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:05 pm
I'm sure there's other things you can make havdala on. Those were just two things mentioned. Tea might be a possibility, I think.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
Oh no. I am diabetic and pregnant. No way can only drink either. Hmmm I wonder if I can make havdalah for kids and have one of them drink it, like we do on 9 days. And this way kids will think I am making havdalah so they can eat.

I was told to make havdallah on grape juice and give it to my kid to drink (6-9yrs)

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:10 pm
Thanks.

I guess will try again to keep getting in touch with rabbi. Can't believe I forgot to ask what to do Sad

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:13 pm
From a longer article by Rabbi Moshe Hauer of Baltimore:
Quote:
A person who needs to break the fast due to illness, should make Havdalah on Tisha B’Av itself, before eating. They should not make it over wine, but use another significant beverage such as coffee, tea or soda.

Link to complete halachas of this Tisha b'Av article on Baltimore Jewish Life: http://baltimorejewishlife.com.....77350

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:14 pm
I think you can make it n tea if you can't grapejuice

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:14 pm
IIRC I think coffee is ok too.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:22 pm
Thank you everyone.

I never heard on coffee or soda before, that's interesting, both mentioned in the link by rubberducky. Will ask my husband what to do, and if he can get in touch, maybe with a different rav, but at least I know possibilities of what I can do in case can't get through to him.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 7:07 pm
I learned that you're not supposed to make havdala on wine or grape juice on Tisha Bav... You can do coffee or ever milk (can double check which is appropriate for you).

Marion

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 8:31 pm
For havdala you can use anything (cheimar medina) except water. On 9 Av you can't use wine or grape juice, but everything else goes. Don't forget to make the correct bracha for whatever you're using!

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 9:03 pm
I was told by my rabbi very clearly to make havdala on grape juice and drink it myself (even though I have a 9 year old who could drink it). I was very surprised since I was expecting to hear tea, coffee etc... as per articles I have read. I guess there are different opinions? Gotta love Judaism lol

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 10:51 pm
I was told by our chasidish rav that I can break my fast without making havdala.
Everyone should ask their own rav though

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:31 am
amother wrote:
I was told by our chasidish rav that I can break my fast without making havdala.
Everyone should ask their own rav though

The correct answer to this question is "ask a rav" as this amother said. There are different shitos, and you need to find out which one is right for you. I was also told not to make havdala, and the kids, who will not be fasting at all, don't need to hear havdala either. The rabbi I asked said no havdala, but the rabbi of our shul said yes. So my husband went back and asked him (rabbi of the shul) and he said no. So please, find a rav and ask him your shaila.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:47 am
eema of 3 wrote:
The correct answer to this question is "ask a rav" as this amother said. There are different shitos, and you need to find out which one is right for you. I was also told not to make havdala, and the kids, who will not be fasting at all, don't need to hear havdala either. The rabbi I asked said no havdala, but the rabbi of our shul said yes. So my husband went back and asked him (rabbi of the shul) and he said no. So please, find a rav and ask him your shaila.

OP here. I totally agree. In my first post, I explained I tried getting in touch with my rav and couldn't , therefore was curious what others were told, so I know what options are, in case I still couldn't get in touch with him until after shabbos. In past I never had issue getting through but Friday I was.

I imagine it's obvious that imamother, or the internet, is not a replacement for a LOR.

Again, ty everyone for your help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note