Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Non religious wedding poem in Binah
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

imasinger

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:03 am
marina wrote:
My lovely poem was recently published in Humanistic Judaism for Progressive Atheists, Poetry Slam Edition. Hope you like it!

Quote:

My Chareidi Wedding Tears

The guests dance, all decked out in the same exact style
I dance too, but inside I cry for the colorless, bleak existence of their lives.

The guests eat, all kosher ritually slaughtered food
I eat too, but inside I cry for the orphaned chicks whose mother's non-free range thighs now decorate my plate.

The guests sing songs of joy and blessings and of praise
I bless and praise too, but inside I cry for the women whose voices are drowned by the sea of misogynistic patriarchy, as pharoh's army was drowned in the Sea.

The guests honor the bride and groom, and wish them well
I wish them well too, but inside I cry because maybe the bride would have been transgender and perhaps the groom would have been gay, and they could have married each other in truth and not in dishonesty.

The glass breaks.
And I cry, and I cannot hold back. I cry for the bride in bondage sentenced to a life of gendered roles and of leaving carbon footprints wherever she goes, from the water wasted on the dishes that she washes to the toxic, non-locally sourced food that she serves to the non biodegradable diapers she will use for her children.

Children, children who will one day become wedding guests. For these I cry.

Not worthy Not worthy

This is absolutely brilliant!

On a serious note, may we all work to find connection and treat each other with respect.
Maybe someone can write a poem to that effect and submit it to the magazine.

dinatov

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:38 am
I think some of us are missing the point of this poem and why it was published in the tisha b'av magazine. This is part of galus. Yes, there are people out there who unfortunately don't have a kedusha'dig chuppah like we do and that is definitely something that we mourn. I think that's what the writer is trying to say. It might be a beautiful ceremony, but is it holy? Is it Torah'dig and ehrlich? Definitely not!

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:40 am
watergirl wrote:
Can you imagine the kallah or the mother of the kallah reading her published poem and crying HER eyes out that one of her wedding guests came, ate, danced, then trashed them in an international magazine? With friends like that, who needs enemies?

an eye for an eye would make the whole world blind. I definitely dont support the poem, and thats exactly why I was so upset by it. but that doesnt mean we should say 'its fine if we make the writer cry b/c she might have made someone else cry...' why sink to that level?

tryinghard

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:43 am
dinatov wrote:
I think some of us are missing the point of this poem and why it was published in the tisha b'av magazine. This is part of galus. Yes, there are people out there who unfortunately don't have a kedusha'dig chuppah like we do and that is definitely something that we mourn. I think that's what the writer is trying to say. It might be a beautiful ceremony, but is it holy? Is it Torah'dig and ehrlich? Definitely not!

Honestly? Halevai this was the level to which our nation has sunk - the wedding described was more kedushadig and halachic than probably a good 60% or more of Jewish weddings nowadays. So to mourn and publicly call this out? Not right.

little_mage

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:43 am
miri36 wrote:
The only reason a kesuba is read is to make a separation between the kiddushin and nissuin. There is no halacha that it needs to be read.
What's wrong with siblings saying the sheva brachos? I think it's a beautiful honor.
And simcha by a wedding - that's how it should be.
Yes for us the chuppah is a somber time, we understand the great spiritual meaning of it. No need to look down on others.

I suspect the issue was that it was "siblings" and not "brothers".

dinatov

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:55 am
tryinghard wrote:
Honestly? Halevai this was the level to which our nation has sunk - the wedding described was more kedushadig and halachic than probably a good 60% or more of Jewish weddings nowadays. So to mourn and publicly call this out? Not right.

You're definitely right. But, more than sixty percent still means less than 40% which is probably hitting the writer in the face... Sad

tryinghard

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 10:02 am
dinatov wrote:
You're definitely right. But, more than sixty percent still means less than 40% which is probably hitting the writer in the face... Sad

So therefore she picks on something which is actually BETTER than most?!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 10:18 am
If only some of my relatives had a wedding described in this poem. Im RW but most relatives are completely secular. The women married non jewish men. The ceremony had nothing to do with yiddishkeit. No Tallis, chuppah, shev brachos or kesubah. No sleeves on the dresses (besides my immediate family).
And definitely no kosher food. Some outright trief like lobster etc. We brought sandwiches.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:17 pm
marina wrote:

I eat too, but inside I cry for the orphaned chicks whose mother's non-free range thighs now decorate my plate.

My favorite verse.

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:54 pm
marina wrote:
My lovely poem was recently published in Humanistic Judaism for Progressive Atheists, Poetry Slam Edition. Hope you like it!

Quote:

My Chareidi Wedding Tears

The guests dance, all decked out in the same exact style
I dance too, but inside I cry for the colorless, bleak existence of their lives.

The guests sing songs of joy and blessings and of praise
I bless and praise too, but inside I cry for the women whose voices are drowned by the sea of misogynistic patriarchy, as pharoh's army was drowned in the Sea.

The guests honor the bride and groom, and wish them well
I wish them well too, but inside I cry because maybe the bride would have been transgender and perhaps the groom would have been gay, and they could have married each other in truth and not in dishonesty.

The glass breaks.
And I cry, and I cannot hold back. I cry for the bride in bondage sentenced to a life of gendered roles and of leaving carbon footprints wherever she goes, from the water wasted on the dishes that she washes to the toxic, non-locally sourced food that she serves to the non biodegradable diapers she will use for her children.

Children, children who will one day become wedding guests. For these I cry.

Submit it to Ami. They'll probably publish it.

leah233

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 2:27 pm
I wouldn't be offended in the slightest if I knew some secular relative left my wedding crying over my destiny as a Charedi wife and mother.

I would be touched by her (misplaced) concern.

farm

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:40 am
leah233 wrote:
I wouldn't be offended in the slightest if I knew some secular relative left my wedding crying over my destiny as a Charedi wife and mother.

I would be touched by her (misplaced) concern.

I completely agree. So what makes some things feel like innocent naïveté and others condescending?

imasoftov

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 5:27 pm
Just got back from a MO wedding in Jerusalem. The chatan (Ashkenazi, but their minhag is to wear a tallit starting at their bar mitzva) said shehecheyanu on a new tallit. There was confetti. And women spoke at the chuppah.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 6:40 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Just got back from a MO wedding in Jerusalem. The chatan (Ashkenazi, but their minhag is to wear a tallit starting at their bar mitzva) said shehecheyanu on a new tallit. There was confetti. And women spoke at the chuppah.

The horror. 😱🙀😱😀
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room