Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Restrictions for children on Tisha b'av

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 12:36 am
Hi, I'm wondering if there are any restrictions on what I can give my kids to eat on Tisha b'av. Like should I avoid treats? Thanks.

enneamom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:25 am
Kids, or anyone who isn't fasting, are not supposed to have treats AFAIK.

My kids are asking me about sitting on low chairs. Anyone know about that?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:29 am
My kids keep all the restrictions besides for eating, and obviously the marriage related ones that don't apply. So they wear slippers, sit on low chairs until chatzos, and wash only until their knuckles. They eat like normal, but as others have said, no treats.

enneamom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:30 am
amother wrote:
My kids keep all the restrictions besides for eating, and obviously the marriage related ones that don't apply. So they wear slippers, sit on low chairs until chatzos, and wash only until their knuckles. They eat like normal, but as others have said, no treats.

Thanks... These are the things I forget from year to year...

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 12:23 pm
For the sake of my sanity treats for my kids are vitally important on tisha bav

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if there are any restrictions on what I can give my kids to eat on Tisha b'av. Like should I avoid treats? Thanks.

There is a big difference between a child of 10-12 and a 5/6/7 year old or below.
A younger child, treats are sometimes a "chiyuv" for the mother to make it through the fast. An older child, I would say to avoid treats or extra special things.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:14 pm
How old are your kids? Do they understand what the day is about? If yes, then I would limit fun things like treats.

animeme

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 5:09 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
There is a big difference between a child of 10-12 and a 5/6/7 year old or below.
A younger child, treats are sometimes a "chiyuv" for the mother to make it through the fast. An older child, I would say to avoid treats or extra special things.

This. You also have to know your individual kid.

One of my older kids just asked me why whenever my younger kids go to a tisha bav camp, they bake with them. I have no good answers, but it doesn't bother me enough not to send them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note