Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
ISO a goodbye gift- s/t to do with books? or reading?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:44 am
I was the very grateful recipient of some magazines for the past 5+ years. Someone close to me would buy the Jewish weeklies- Mishpacha, Binah, etc and pass them on to me weekly after reading them.
This person is moving away now. I am joining in with others and getting a joint gift for her family/kids but I am looking for something specific to get that would be a thanks for all the years of reading material.
I thought about getting her a subscription to a magazine in her new place, but I really can't afford it (which is why I haven't been getting them on my own).

Any ideas?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 5:48 am
http://www.very.co.uk/personal.....2.prd

UnFarvosNischt

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:37 am
A nice mug with a funny quote about book lover (look for "book lover mugs" on Etsy or Amazon, you'll have a great choice!).
You can also add (buy or knit if you feel crafty enough) a mug cozy (you know it's like a tiny mug scarf so that your hands don't get burnt by the hot beverage) and maybe also a small package with cookies/hot cocoa+little marshmallows!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 8:00 am
Amazon or Barnes and Noble gift card, or a gift card to a Judaica store in her new neighborhood. Alternatively, one of the latest Jewish books.
:
Eta: As a bookworm, myself, I personally would not appreciate a bookmark or mug. I think they are both cheap-y gifts. (Although, obviously, I'd appreciate the thought.)

MrsMarmite

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:34 am
Are you crafty at all? Do u have kids? you could 'make' a magazine issue or at least a magazine cover with their picture and different headlines like 'Why we'll miss you so much - beyond the free magazines...' or other inside jokes ... you could even frame it. It would be so cheap, very personal and probably something they'd appreciate, no?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:37 am
A magazine rack

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 11:20 am
I second s gift card to Amazon as it can be used for anything.

I think a gift card to Starbucks is nicer than a mug especially if you write a heartfelt thank you and hope she is able to enjoy relaxing and reading over some Starbucks. Reading and coffee drink and possibly hanging out in one of their arm chairs. What could be better

ssspectacular

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 11:52 am
I have stacks of Jewish magazines that I read already. Where can I share them with people who want to read them?

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 11:58 am
ssspectacular wrote:
I have stacks of Jewish magazines that I read already. Where can I share them with people who want to read them?

Hospital in Jewish area.

Assisted living facility in Jewish neighborhood. Assisted living is better than nursing home because in my experience residents of assisted living are still engaged with the world whereas in nursing home for the most part, they aren't engaged with their surroundings.

ETA Is there a senior center - especially one that caters to Jews. The clientele doesn't have to be frum as many non frummish Jewish women of that generation would enjoy the content of the magazines assuming they are in English. Also let the staff know people can take home. Again, many who go to the centers would love to be able to take home reading material and are on a very limited entertainment budget.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics