Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Nursing and fasting

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:50 am
Any tips or advice??

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:13 am
What's the issue- low milk supply or that you're feeling sick?

Either way, if it's a baby who's dependent on you and it's hot today, please ask a rav if you should be abstaining from fluids at all. I was told if my baby needs me to drink then there's no question of a baby being made to fast.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:17 am
#1: call your rav immediately. The vast majority of nursing moms I know (myself included) are not fasting today because it's nidche (yesterday was actually the 9th)and therefore much more lenient than usual.
#2: in case your rav says you should fast (and also for Yom Kippur, where there's no leniency), then see if you can get help- hired, a play date, etc. Just lay around as much as you can. Older kids will survive for a day on videos and sandwiches and cereal, the baby will survive for a day if you skip tummy time and don't play too interactively.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:18 am
The issue is that I've never done it before since it's my first baby.. I do have extra bottles pumped in the freezer so she's not dependent on me.. I nursed last night and this morning cuz of engorgement.. I hope I won't be too thirsty

SingALong

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:20 am
Stay in shade/indoors with a/c. Try to take it easy.

It's a nidche this year and I know of a few pregnant/nursing mothers were told not to fast...perhaps ask your Rav?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:31 am
But have you spoken to your rav? You may not need to fast at all. This isn't some out there "you have what to rely on", it is a mainstream, majority opinion that pregnant and nursing women don't need to fast when Tisha b'av is nidche. If you don't need to fast, make sure to make havdala before you eat.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:34 am
Keep nursing as normal, give a bottle if you want to take a break, but most people should be able to continue nursing while fasting. Some people notice a drop in supply the next day, in which case you can nurse more frequently over the next day or two to help bring it back up.
I'm in Australia and the fast is already over. I'm nursing my 9 month old, and she nurses a lot!, I managed the fast ok, but I was fully prepared to call a rov today if I needed.
I managed to rest quite a bit and my kids had more screen time than a normal day, but you do what you gotta do...
That being said, it's winter here and the fast finished at 6:12pm.
I don't know if I would have been ok for another few hours, especially with the heat.

See how you feel, and as everyone already said, get a heter to eat if you need it!

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:45 am
Even if you have pumped bottles, the fast can affect your supply for some time afterwards. It could cause baby to have a hard time nursing for the next week or so. It's happened to me.

Please ask a shailah. It's very likely that you shouldn't be fasting at all according to your Rav.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 11:08 am
I was told that I should start and can break it if I feel my milk supply is going down - which was obviously inevitable. I broke my fast at about 4:15pm when I started getting lightheaded. (My baby is 10 months old and nurses round the clock and only eats solids for entertainment.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note