Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Anyone here NOT bathe for Shabbos this week?
1  2  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:10 pm
As per the halachos of the 9 days, normal bathing is not allowed, yet I hear most people bathing like usual before Shabbos. I know there are different minhagim so not judging.

Just wondering though, how many actually just do 'ponov, yodov, v'raglov' as stated in shulchan aruch (?) or are we really in the minority?

We all just used warm water including my kids over the age of 9.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:11 pm
I showered regularly on Friday as well as many other days during the week. I am in a professional job and cannot come to work smelling of BO.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:13 pm
We live in a hotter climate now, and the standards of hygiene have gone up in the world. It is a chillul Hashem to walk around smelling bad and being dirty.

This is what I was told, and I think most poskim today hold like that.

What I was told is that while I can and SHOULD wash my full body, I should do it limb by limb rather than fully immersing the whole time.

Re Shabbos, then specifically a lot of poskim hold that for Shabbos, one should bathe normally lakavod shabbos.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:15 pm
I took a quick cold shower eruv shabbos chazon, like I did other days of the 9 days.
Soap, shampoo and cold water is enough to keep away BO.

Maya

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:25 pm
I never heard of not washing up for Shabbos. Even the people I know who won't wash up during the nine days no matter what, do so for Shabbos, albeit with colder than usual water and shorter time.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:28 pm
Maya wrote:
I never heard of not washing up for Shabbos. Even the people I know who won't wash up during the nine days no matter what, do so for Shabbos, albeit with colder than usual water and shorter time.

I don't mean this in a judgy way at all.... do people not shower at all (even a quick cold one) during the 9 days? Especially this year when shabbos came out in the beginning and end of the 9 days, there was a full week of hot weather in the middle.

Maya

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
I don't mean this in a judgy way at all.... do people not shower at all (even a quick cold one) during the 9 days? Especially this year when shabbos came out in the beginning and end of the 9 days, there was a full week of hot weather in the middle.

Yes.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:

I have cousins who are extremely, extremely yeshivish and don't. Growing up, my heart went out to their children who went to camp and weren't allowed to shower there for 9 days.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:31 pm

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 3:13 pm
Yes, there are people who stick to the letter of the law and don't bathe during the nine days.

I doubt our Rav would give us a heter to do otherwise. It definitely makes a difference that the weather hasn't been too hot and our climate is not generally unbearable.

I can't say we didn't feel a little sticky here and there but none of us had any detectable body odour. Obviously if we would be noticeably smelly that would be a whole 'nother story and we would ask a shaila.

To be honest, we didn't feel all that uncomfortable and I feel that's the least we can do to commemorate the churban. It's only a week.

heidi

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 3:21 pm
I heard from the mother of a guy in Lakewood that he walked into Beis Medrash one day during the 9 days, took a whiff, and went right home to shower Very Happy Very Happy

hotmom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:12 pm
My Rav said we can shower daily in this heat just not use very hot water which I'm used to. It was enough not to shower yesterday and I already couldn't sleep the whole night.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:17 pm
I have heard many rabanim say that it's not a mitzvah to not cleans yourself at all if it will cause tzar to others. Which it almost does if you are going in public places.
The issue is bathing for pleasure. If you want to be frum, take it freezing cold, but u r deluding yourself if you think u don't have significant BO after a week.

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
I took a quick cold shower eruv shabbos chazon, like I did other days of the 9 days.
Soap, shampoo and cold water is enough to keep away BO.

Again, as I stated in other thread, you are allowed to take a regular shabbos l'kavod shabbos. It doesn't have to be a cold shower. You are allowed to shower as you normally do for shabbos during 9 days.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:14 pm
I love taking actual baths. During the 9 days I shower quickly (every day) instead. But I did take an actual bath this past friday since I needed the mikva tonight.

sourstix

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:20 pm
My rav told me because I need to b between people can't go around smelly. It was very hot and I couldn't not shower. I can't miss even one day. This morning I was miserable not taking a shower. So I take quick showers and make water lukewarm.

cbsp

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:19 am
octopus wrote:
Again, as I stated in other thread, you are allowed to take a regular shabbos l'kavod shabbos. It doesn't have to be a cold shower. You are allowed to shower as you normally do for shabbos during 9 days.

Not everyone holds this way. Especially this year, with Friday really being Erev Tisha B'av, there were some who said not to even take a full-body cold shower but rather just wash certain body parts (IIRC face, hands, & feet) and that could be done in warmish water.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:22 am
Don't stand next to me. Puke Puke Puke

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:42 am
When I was in camp as a teen, I had two girls in my bunk that didn't wash up at all during the nine days. One of them only used cold water without soap to wash her face, if I remember correctly. Basically, one of those girls had extremely oily hair, so from the third day she wore a hoodie with the hood over her hair. The extra layer really helped for the body odor... One year, when we had a full week (like this year) I realized toward the endof the week that the flies in the dining room kept landing on those 2 girls. Poor kids

cbsp

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:50 am
amother wrote:
Don't stand next to me. Puke Puke Puke

I can't, you're anon. And your Puke ain't smellin' like roses either...

I didn't say I hold that way, just wanted to clarify that there are other opinions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note