Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Anyone here NOT bathe for Shabbos this week?
Previous  1  2

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:05 am
octopus wrote:
Again, as I stated in other thread, you are allowed to take a regular shabbos l'kavod shabbos. It doesn't have to be a cold shower. You are allowed to shower as you normally do for shabbos during 9 days.

That is incorrect. You shoud not make blanket halachic rulings on this board.

As mentioned in other posts, including op, there are many who hold that you can't take a regular shower, rather you can wash your face, arms, and legs using hot water but no soap.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:20 am
octopus wrote:
Again, as I stated in other thread, you are allowed to take a regular shabbos l'kavod shabbos. It doesn't have to be a cold shower. You are allowed to shower as you normally do for shabbos during 9 days.

That is called relying on a heter.

Amazing, how anyone who follows Halacha 100% is a neb and gets poked fun of. Rolling Eyes

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:16 am
amother wrote:
That is called relying on a heter.

Amazing, how anyone who follows Halacha 100% is a neb and gets poked fun of. Rolling Eyes

Actually the shulchan arukh says you should have a hot shower lakavod Shabbos. Doesn't sound like a heter to me. Sounds like different poskim have different approaches as how to deal with the tension between kavod Shabbos and mourning the chorban. It's not like you are following halakha and no one else is. Just because something is harder or more uncomfortable doesn't make it better.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:19 am
I was once sitting in a seat a few rows back on a bus during the nine days. A man got on to the bus and a few seconds later this horrible, terrible body odor smell reached me and I had to run to the back of the bus. I couldn't breath normally for the rest of the trip and I'm sure that everybody else who had no choice but to sit closer to him were in deep pain. This person is a perfect example of somebody who thinks they're a huge tzaddik but is really a huge idiot. All of you who don't take showers keep in mind that you get used to your own body odor it's the people around you that suffer.
I remember some girls in camp who put powder in their hair during the 9 days to absorb the oil.

mo5

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:14 am
Bathing, not eating meat or wine, and not doing laundry are actually not Halacha but minhag or Takanos which is why you get such a variety of opinions of what to do. (I think the not eating meat was originally a 'minhag noshim' initially derided, later accepted more widely. Interesting article in hamodia about it a few weeks ago)
Keep in mind- that a once a week bath Lekovod shabbos was the standard of those times, anything more was pleasure. Nowadays our standard is a lot more often than that so it's not so hard to do a bit less for the 9 days.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note