Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
The thing you carry your daily stuff in

Water Stones

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:35 pm
What do you call it the thing that hold your money, book, sunglasses, tissues keys and more stuff of your personal own?

Bag
Handbag
Purse
Pockabook
Pocketbook
Other name

fbc

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:40 pm
Right now I call mine a diaper bag! Baruch Hashem ;-) generally a purse tho!

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:58 pm
Purse

jump

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:59 pm
Pocketbook (it goes on the arm not carried in the hand)

yo'ma

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 8:25 pm
pocket Very Happy

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:13 pm
Purse

Water Stones

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:29 pm
jump wrote:
Pocketbook (it goes on the arm not carried in the hand)

Oh! That is a good definition!!

I learn to say it's "bag" but my DHt's and DH family say pockabook, so Chit chat is great for learning this!!

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:31 pm
Purse. I've found its geographical.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:50 pm
Handbag or pocketbook

Stars

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:51 pm
A bag

greenfire

pocket Mr. Green

[yo'ma beat me to it]

sequoia

Bag. More generic.

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 10:44 pm
All of those names as well as tote.

Lol at pockabook as I do say that sometimes when my native Brooklyn accent peeks out.

I think the one thing I have in common with Trump is that we both pronounce horror the same way.πŸ™€πŸ˜± I know because I was teased about it in college since I don't have much if an accent except for a few words like horra and ant (tante). πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

glamourmom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:38 pm
Amarante wrote:

Lol at pockabook as I do say that sometimes when my native Brooklyn accent peeks out.

I think the one thing I have in common with Trump is that we both pronounce horror the same way.πŸ™€πŸ˜± I know because I was teased about it in college since I don't have much if an accent except for a few words like horra and ant (tante). πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

is this similar to the queens accent? I love it!!!!

sista, mista... cant think of any others now, but I know it when I hear it.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:43 pm
Amarante wrote:

FUHgeddaboudit !!! I never had a brooklyn accent up until I moved away ... now when I come back my family says 'what happened'

speaking of aunts ... now I sound like them ... oy vey - who knew it could happen to me

how about 'sangwich' or better yet 'sammich' both of which my father & mother say - I always just laugh - but not aloud

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:44 pm
my daughter would say backpack others use a fanny pack ... see what the modern world has come to

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:27 pm
glamourmom wrote:
is this similar to the queens accent? I love it!!!!

sista, mista... cant think of any others now, but I know it when I hear it.

Yes it is called the Brooklyn accent for some reason but it really is just that certain accent that you hear in NYC. It ranges of course from extremely strong to those like me with just a trace of it. When I lived in NY, no one would think of it as an accent.

My mother was a New York City school teacher and back when she got her license, there was an extremely stringent speech requirement and a teacher could have no accent. My mother said it was the scariest part of the test for her. My aunt (or AntπŸ˜€) was also a school teacher and had the most exquisite upper class accent. It was the American equivalent of the Briritsh upper crust accent. It was because of all the speech classes prospective teachers had to take to become licensed.

I lived in Virginia for awhile and the same range is true of the Southern accent as the patrician Virginian elites have a very slight accent and it ranges down to what most people think of as that heavy Southern accent. I am sure there are more subtle variants as well in terms of Louisiana patois versus Texas twang etc. There is a group in the Appalachian Mountains who have a dialogue which still has strong traces of Elizabethan English because the group was so isolated after settling there.

The NY accent is so fascinating when I have read about it because its origins are mysterious and they are not sure exactly how it developed.

I miss the accents as the country moves towards that homogeneous broadcaster non-accent πŸ˜€πŸŽ™πŸŽ™πŸŽ™. Of course subsequent immigrant groups will still have that first generation accent. What made Mr. Khan's speech even more moving for me was that it extolled the greatness of American constitutional democracy in an accent that was unmistakably that of a well educated East Asian. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

ETA and now I am thinking about a friend who was studying to be a teacher. One of her courses was in children's literature and she had to write a child's book. She chose to do a rebus which is when you replace letters with a picture of something. The title was Ideas Throgh Pictures and instead of letters spelling out "ideas", she had a picture of an Eye and a Deer. She couldn't understand why we were laughing when we told her that Ideas was not pronounced Eye-DEERS. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜±πŸ˜±

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:29 pm
greenfire wrote:
FUHgeddaboudit !!! I never had a brooklyn accent up until I moved away ... now when I come back my family says 'what happened'

speaking of aunts ... now I sound like them ... oy vey - who knew it could happen to me

how about 'sangwich' or better yet 'sammich' both of which my father & mother say - I always just laugh - but not aloud

My Bubbe used kinehora so much that my cousin would crack up all the cousins by inserting the term even when it made no sense to what was said.
My Bubbe could not mention anything about the grandchildren without a kinehora.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:40 pm
Amarante wrote:

My mother was a New York City school teacher and back when she got her license, there was an extremely stringent speech requirement and a teacher could have no accent......

I miss the accents as the country moves towards that homogeneous broadcaster non-accent ....😱

There is no such thing as "no accent".

OP call it whatever you want that other people understand. "bag" is perfect English, but where you are they speak "American".

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
My Bubbe used kinehora so much that my cousin would crack up all the cousins by inserting the term even when it made no sense to what was said.
My Bubbe could not mention anything about the grandchildren without a kinehora.

by unz it was "hezichayne" - when we realized it was 3 words smushed into one האר Χ–Χ™Χš ΧΧ™ΧŸ & it only meant 'listen' ... we were shocked it wasn't as big a secret

now suddenly we all sound like "the nanny" & she ain't so bad Wink Χ’ΧΧ˜ צום Χ“Χ™Χ™Χ Χ§Χ’ΧŸ
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics