Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sooo annoyed! Tuition should cover these things!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 10:33 am
amother wrote:

Great, make tuition more but make part tax deductible. Doesn't help all of us who meet our tax deduction max via maaser. Donating more will not decrease our tax load. Grr.

Once a donation is mandatory, it's not tax deductible. And once it's voluntary, parents don't pay.

self-actualization

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:08 am
I"m going to chime in and add regarding the school supplies. It would be really nice for me if the school could add money to the tuition and then give the kids the exact supplies that the teachers want. My family size is average but I can't imagine how large families coordinate all of the school supply shopping without going crazy.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:30 am
self-actualization wrote:
I"m going to chime in and add regarding the school supplies. It would be really nice for me if the school could add money to the tuition and then give the kids the exact supplies that the teachers want. My family size is average but I can't imagine how large families coordinate all of the school supply shopping without going crazy.

Here's your chance to get involved in the PTA. Have one parent in each class collect money and buy supplies for all the kids. My kids' school did that.

You mean it's hard to get parents to pay for their own child's supplies? They're telling you what a bad bargain shopper you are for only checking prices at ten stores instead of twenty? Hmmm... Welcome to running a school.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:42 am

I go to Target in July and stock up on basics- 12 big stick glue, 300 pencils, 15 folders........ Then the first day of school when the kids come home with a list from each teacher we go to ONE store for the rest of the supplies.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:46 am
cnc wrote:
Wow, I pay $100 security fee (happily- the school is constantly adding new security measures a such as bullet proof doors in the front, self locking doors on each floor etc...)

Wow! That is amazing! May I ask which school that is?

mizle10

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:55 am
I pay $10 a year for nit checks, and the lice checkers are volunteers. Go figure. Rolling Eyes

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:23 pm

It's not that hard. You can get everything online. Buy in bulk the things you KNOW you're going to need- pencils, crayons, glue sticks, notebooks, binders, folders. When you get the supply lists, if there's anything you don't already have, then you can fill in. If you don't like online shopping, Staples now has a service where you order and they have it ready in the store for you to pick up.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:34 pm

I heard of one school that does this - and they charge an exorbitant fee for the service. Like the package came out to be $60 when it could be purchased for $30 (and especially considering they were purchasing in large quantities). It was a money maker for the school and they were charging a convenience fee.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:54 pm
sky wrote:
I heard of one school that does this - and they charge an exorbitant fee for the service. Like the package came out to be $60 when it could be purchased for $30 (and especially considering they were purchasing in large quantities). It was a money maker for the school and they were charging a convenience fee.

My DS's son's school did this - you paid a fee upfront and they provided all the school supplies. There were a few problems - first of all, one year my DS got a pink folder which he refused to use, which led to all sorts of unnecessary power struggles (I get you're buying in bulk and I get there will be some pink folders in the pile, but how about admitting that a seven year old boy WILL.NOT.USE.A.PINK.FOLDER. and provide those folders to the office for attendance, etc.)

also, when a child lost something, there was an absolutely exorbitant fee for a replacement item. Like when my son's pink folder accidentally/on purpose/kinda/maybe met with an accident, they wanted FIVE DOLLARS to replace it. If those folders cost the school more than .20 each, I'd be shocked. Even if you want a full dollar to replace it, since that's what it would cost in the store, I'd think you were gouging. FIVE DOLLARS? I can afford the money but it's unfair.

I'm glad they discontinued the program.......

acemom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:05 pm
I think that most people would appreciate that the school provides the supplies for a fee. Ok, maybe some schools would take advantage and charge exorbitant prices. But, it would be really helpful if the mothers wouldn't have to run around to get an "unlined, spiralbound, 7-section notebook" or what-have-you that only one store in the city sells.

Miri7

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:37 pm
We also have extra fees but they are pretty minimal. They were a surprise the first year but now we expect them.

And about the school supplies, I'd be happier to give each class parent money to give to the teacher to order what they want for the year. With multiple kids in different grades, it's a nightmare purchasing and then sending the right things with each kid. I find myself up the night before school consulting the list to see if second grade needs 25 pencils and 4th grade needs 50 or vice versa. I'm ok with getting the bigger items that are just for our kids personal use like a big binder, but the smaller items are maddening.

Though I will stop complaining since I talked to my friend whose school now requires each kid to bring a fancy brand new iPad or MacBook this fall. There are different requirements for each grade but the school said that the devices must be brand new and specified the make and model. Wow.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:39 pm
acemom wrote:
I think that most people would appreciate that the school provides the supplies for a fee. Ok, maybe some schools would take advantage and charge exorbitant prices. But, it would be really helpful if the mothers wouldn't have to run around to get an "unlined, spiralbound, 7-section notebook" or what-have-you that only one store in the city sells.

In theory it sounds great. And I hate looking for "college ruled stenography pad, 70 pages" etc. But the price gouging was unfair. I'm glad it was discontinued, only because it became a de facto moneymaker for the PTA, rather than a genuine service to the parents, as it was advertised as being.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:48 pm
This is gonna be sorta OT but....I know how to check for nits myself. But all the camps require you to go to certain appointed special nit-checkers before camp and daycamp (some schools do this too). No, it wasn't expensive. But I shlepped with DD to the other end of town to the designated nit checker. I then stood on a line that stretched out the door and up her back stairs. When it was DD's turn, she took just about 3 seconds to sorta leaf thru her hair, sign the paper, and declare her nit free.

Next year I'm going to do it myself and sign my own paper. You hear me daycamps? This is beyond ridiculous.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:48 pm
Chayalle wrote:
This is gonna be sorta OT but....I know how to check for nits myself. But all the camps require you to go to certain appointed special nit-checkers before camp and daycamp (some schools do this too). No, it wasn't expensive. But I shlepped with DD to the other end of town to the designated nit checker. I then stood on a line that stretched out the door and up her back stairs. When it was DD's turn, she took just about 3 seconds to sorta leaf thru her hair, sign the paper, and declare her nit free.

Next year I'm going to do it myself and sign my own paper. You hear me daycamps? This is beyond ridiculous.

You go, girl!

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:58 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I am an rn and a pediatric NP and the school will still not accept my sig on a lice check.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:05 pm
amother wrote:
I am an rn and a pediatric NP and the school will still not accept my sig on a lice check.

LOL, why, is there a union of lice checkers who will complain because you're avoiding using a union worker? Or a secret society of lice checkers that you must belong to? It's this type of ridiculous rule that makes me furious.......

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:09 pm
debsey wrote:
LOL, why, is there a union of lice checkers who will complain because you're avoiding using a union worker? Or a secret society of lice checkers that you must belong to? It's this type of ridiculous rule that makes me furious.......

Probably because she's "nogea b'davar". I don't understand the whole it must be this specific person, but I get why they might not want parents signing off on their own kids. We all know those parents who give their kids a dose of Tylenol in the morning and then send them off to school sick.

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
Is my kids' school the only one that charges for registration?
200 bucks a kid!!
Paying for registration fees...meaning what exactly?!?

How about $850 a child? That's what we pay for registration.
Our extra fees come to several thousand a year, in addition to tuition.

But I'm not complaining. Smile
It's a "you get what you pay for" situation for us

gp2.0

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:50 pm
What's a building fee and how is it different from a dinner fee? That's what I'm curious about. Smile

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:33 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I pay $10 a year for nit checks, and the lice checkers are volunteers. Go figure. Rolling Eyes

think gloves, combs, wooden sticks, [shower caps so nothing hops onto the volunteers heads] ... that we hope they use & dispose of in between each kid x the amount each kid gets checked per year

maybe they buy the volunteers coffee or ice cream when they're done coffee Ice cream Im with stupid
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children