Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Vegetable Fried Rice

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 9:15 pm
This was good and very easy. I used brown rice and used the Cook's Illustrated baked method because it's foolproof. Need to refrigerate rice so that it doesn't get gloopy when cooked so best to cook rice the day before making this. Great way to pre plan leftovers if cooking rice for another meal.

The teriyaki sauce was good and much healthier than the high fructose commercial varieties.

It's a nice light meal with protein with the eggs but you could always add some cooked chicken if you have leftover.

Notes are not mine.

Vegetable fried rice

Looking for a new way to add veggies to the kids' dinner? Try making a batch of this vegetable fried rice with homemade teriyaki sauce for dinner. Whether serving as the main dish or a side to go along with grilled meat, it's easy to make during the week. Plus, it tastes so good the kids won't complain about eating their veggies (or at least they'll complain a little less).

Serves 6

Ingredients:

1 cup white rice (I used brown)
1-1/2 cups water
Sesame oil
2 eggs
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 mushrooms, washed and chopped
1 small green bell pepper, top removed, deseeded and chopped (I used red bell pepper because I don’t like green)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup pineapple, chopped
Teriyaki sauce (recipe below)

NOTE^ Other veggies to add include asparagus tips, broccoli and peas

Directions:

Rinse white rice in a fine-mesh strainer under cold water until the water runs clear.

Add the rice and the water to a rice cooker and cook according to manufacturer's directions (or steam rice on the stove if you don't have a rice cooker).

Coat a large skillet pan with sesame oil and turn on heat to medium.

Crack the 2 eggs into a small bowl, mix with a fork or a whisk and cook in the skillet pan, stirring as needed to scramble the eggs. Once the eggs are done cooking, transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

If needed, add more sesame oil to the skillet pan. Add onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, carrots and pineapple to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes. You want them to be cooked but still have crunch, stirring as needed.

Add 1 cup steamed rice and stir.

Pour in desired amount of teriyaki sauce (start with 1/2 cup) and stir. Cover the pan with a lid and let cook for 5 minutes.

Add the egg, stir and serve.

Homemade teriyaki sauce

Makes 3/4 cup

Ingredients:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced ginger

Directions:

Add all ingredients to a small pot and simmer over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, stir occasionally.

Once the sugar has dissolved, turn off the heat and let sit until ready to use. Leftover teriyaki sauce can be transferred to a glass bottle or jar and stored in the refrigerator.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals