Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Hangover from fasting? Makes sense?
1  2  Next

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 10:07 am
I had a really difficult fast yesterday, and breaking it didn't give me that immediate relief I usually have. Today, I feel literally hung over. Like, headache, distracted, nauseous. Is it possible to be hungover from fasting? Because that's literally how I feel (and no, I did not break my fast on alcoholic beverages. I had orange juice, toast, and a cookie) Normally, I have some protein when I break a fast but I couldn't even stomach that.

Anyone ever have this before? Could I be coming down with something, or is it just lingering after-effects of the fast?

rowo

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 10:10 am
Keep drinking, you might have been a bit dehydrated

oliveoil

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 10:40 am
Very normal after a fast

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 10:44 am
thanks. I'm drinking and taking it easy, but I still feel lousy. It's definitely not normal for me. I'm usually a hard faster but as soon as I break my fast, I'm fine (like 30 min after my first cup of OJ, I feel back to normal)

I literally feel like I have the flu, minus the fever.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 10:52 am
Sounds like dehydration. Drink plenty of water. I had the same. exact. symptoms. last night. Dizziness, nausea, couldn't eat much. Go start drinking some icy cold water now. You'll start feeling better real fast.

besty

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 10:52 am
makes a lot of sense but if it last for another few days you should check it out....had once when I broke my fast I was fine with just a bit of food the next day was ravenous all day long.....cud happen these hangovers

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:15 pm
My mom has this every time she breaks her fast. Feel better

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:20 pm
One more vote for dehydration. Try drinking lukewarm water, which the body absorbs faster than cold.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:24 pm
zaq wrote:
One more vote for dehydration. Try drinking lukewarm water, which the body absorbs faster than cold.

Good to know. I ended up taking off from the portion of work that involved driving, and I'm eating soup, toast, tea, and drinking water. But I'll switch to lukewarm.

sourstix

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:53 pm
Oh my gosh I also feel sick. My stomach was terrible. I was double over with pain yesterday. This morning I couldn't keep food down. I hope now my stomach will be better. Nausea lightheaded weak just like to would be sick. I guess laundry will have to wait.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:56 pm
I asked my LOR about doing laundry directly after the fast. Jokes on me. Still didn't start. cleaning lady will be here soon......

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:47 pm
yes ~ it happens to me

solution: eat a pickle - or drink a gatorade - they help regenerate electrolytes and hydration

sourstix

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:59 pm
But when I'm hungry Gatorade doesn't help Sad

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:02 pm
I'm slowly making my way through a butternut squash soup that I added salt to. DK why I have no appetite (not that I'm complaining)

Just asked DH to pick up some gatorade on way home. Maybe Tylenol will help this headache? I'm already on cup of water #7.......

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:05 pm
I personally don't like gatorade ... but when I was dehydrated and needed an iv my doctor told me it is easier to drink a ton of gatorade ... so I get the low calorie ones

the electrolytes are important

water doesn't help by itself - salt helps the body retain the water - thence getting rid of the dehydration that fasting can cause ...

especially if one is pregnant

eating in this hot weather doesn't help if there is no water in your system ~ makes you want to vomit much like a hangover

sourstix

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:08 pm
Debsey you might want to call your doctor if your symptoms don't improve. Check your symptoms on google and see if it matches. Refuse sheleima

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:12 pm
greenfire wrote:
I personally don't like gatorade ... but when I was dehydrated and needed an iv my doctor told me it is easier to drink a ton of gatorade ... so I get the low calorie ones

the electrolytes are important

water doesn't help by itself - salt helps the body retain the water - thence getting rid of the dehydration that fasting can cause ...

especially if one is pregnant

eating in this hot weather doesn't help if there is no water in your system ~ makes you want to vomit much like a hangover

I also don't like gatorade, that's why I'm drinking salty soup. But I told DH to buy some of the low-cal red ones on his way home, because I'm still headachy and mildly nauseous. My Dr said to eat a banana, it could be potassium (yes, greenie, you remember correctly, I am pregnant)

He also said next time don't fast. But I honestly felt OK during the fast, which for me means "no worse than usual". He had said if I feel dizzy or faint to break it, but I spent the day on the couch with my feet up (kids were unusually cooperative, bless their little souls!) so I didn't really have occasion to feel dizzy bec. I barely stood up.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:21 pm
well tell them to be unusually cooperative today as well ... [yeah right like that'll happen]

my niece didn't know I was here because I hid in an air-conditioned room - didn't want to see her baby eat & I don't fast well

[which reminds me of a good topic for my next thread]

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:33 pm
greenfire wrote:
well tell them to be unusually cooperative today as well ... [yeah right like that'll happen]

my niece didn't know I was here because I hid in an air-conditioned room - didn't want to see her baby eat & I don't fast well

[which reminds me of a good topic for my next thread]

Secret weapon - hiring a mother's helper today because I have a boatload of work to complete or I can't go on vacation next week. I'm much more capable of sitting in a chair and typing than I am of running after little kids. The mother's helper's family owns a pool and she is a lifeguard (and my kids adore her) so she is taking them swimming and then giving them supper. By tomorrow, I should be back to normal. My kids are so happy to go swimming, (and to spend time with her) that they won't even notice that I'm basically out of commission.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:36 pm
I think pregnancy could be a huge factor here, I don't fast when I'm pregnant or nursing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note