Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Hangover from fasting? Makes sense?
Previous  1  2

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:40 am
dancingqueen wrote:
I think pregnancy could be a huge factor here, I don't fast when I'm pregnant or nursing.

I usually fast fine when I'm pregnant. Maybe I'm just getting old.......

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:41 am
Drinking lots of water will not help you, if you are dehydrated or lost lots of minerals and electrolytes. That's where gatorade comes in or OJ and something salty. It takes me a lot to recover from a fast. What you describe as your post fast meal is more like a snack to me. It all depends on what you are accustomed to eating and your activity level as well. If you generally eat little and dont burn so much you might get away with a small meal, but if you are used to more food or burn a lot then that will not nourish you. I still feel the effects of the fast today too. I feel weaker than usual, and I feel it in my training. I'm training for a 5K, and I definitely felt weak in my muscles today still.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
Drinking lots of water will not help you, if you are dehydrated or lost lots of minerals and electrolytes. That's where gatorade comes in or OJ and something salty. It takes me a lot to recover from a fast. What you describe as your post fast meal is more like a snack to me. It all depends on what you are accustomed to eating and your activity level as well. If you generally eat little and dont burn so much you might get away with a small meal, but if you are used to more food or burn a lot then that will not nourish you. I still feel the effects of the fast today too. I feel weaker than usual, and I feel it in my training. I'm training for a 5K, and I definitely felt weak in my muscles today still.

That's what's weird - I usually have a big appetite, but I'm struggling to finish this soup. I am drinking OJ and just ate half a banana, as per Dr.'s suggestion. I guess the fast just hit me harder than usual, because I still feel weak and headachey and vaguely flu-ish.

Good luck on your 5-K!

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:09 pm
I feel a bit like I'm butting in here but I always feel worse the day after. I recommend coconut water, esp. from fresh coconuts (as opposed to bottled, but that's good too). They have a lot of electrolytes and are v good for re hydration

cbg

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:40 pm
Are you sure it's not also blood sugar.
When fasting your blood sugar is really low
Then you had carbs and sugar
This spiked your blood sugar
Then over night it went really low again because of the fast

You can try the following.
Take a few cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger and make tea.
The ginger will settle your stomach, the cinnamon will stabalize your blood sugar. The more cinnamon you can tolerate the better.
As soon as you can tolerate food try to eat an avocado, also stabalize a blood sugar.
For now I would stay away from Gatorade or bananas, too much sugar and you just going to make your sugar fluctuate too much.
Chicken broth, real not the powder junk, is good too.
And add lots of celery, celery has a lot of electrolytes.

Miri7

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:33 pm
I really dislike Gatorade but I do drink it after fasting. it's like hitting a speed reset button for me. It's worth forcing it down to feel much better much faster.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:38 pm
Dioralyte - before the fast.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:11 pm
Yes, I was sicker today than yesterday. Was probably combination dehydration and such, I had no time to eat today so my body started collapsing on me. BH I'm mucvh better now.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:26 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Yes, I was sicker today than yesterday. Was probably combination dehydration and such, I had no time to eat today so my body started collapsing on me. BH I'm mucvh better now.

Yes. This is a thing.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:38 pm
debsey wrote:
That's what's weird - I usually have a big appetite, but I'm struggling to finish this soup. I am drinking OJ and just ate half a banana, as per Dr.'s suggestion. I guess the fast just hit me harder than usual, because I still feel weak and headachey and vaguely flu-ish.

Good luck on your 5-K!

Dehydration can make you feel this way. Drink drink drink. Refuah Shelaima!

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:06 pm
debsey wrote:
I usually fast fine when I'm pregnant. Maybe I'm just getting old.......

It's insanely hot in Lakewood now. I barely make it through regular days without contractions hitting me at night, and I've still got a while to go. Yesterday I only fasted until after chatzos, drank almost non-stop for the rest of the day, and still felt headachy today. sometimes dehydration catches up with you later even if at the moment you feel great.
Hope you're feeling better by now.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:22 pm
tigerwife wrote:
It's insanely hot in Lakewood now. I barely make it through regular days without contractions hitting me at night, and I've still got a while to go. Yesterday I only fasted until after chatzos, drank almost non-stop for the rest of the day, and still felt headachy today. sometimes dehydration catches up with you later even if at the moment you feel great.
Hope you're feeling better by now.

I finally feel better, thanks! Managed to eat a normal supper. Drank half a gatorade at like 4:30. I think I drank 9 24-oz water bottles today, and just now returning to land of the living. Told my OB-GYN what happened and he said that there's no way I'm fasting Yom Kippur.

tf

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:41 pm
For this reason I fast out on watery liquid, like tea or clear soup. Another vote for dehydration. To prevent, drink before fasting, and best is water with something in it to absorb in the body. Water alone washes out quickly. Add some juice, salt,sugar etc. Also, try sipping many times a bit rather than downing as much as possible at a time. This also works for dehydration from vomiting. A teaspoon at a time isn't possible to vomit. It takes a few minutes to absorb and then take another teaspoon. Only when you feel better, drink to your heart's desire.

Chloe

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:44 pm
Felt like this all day long and still feel like this right now. I better feel better tomorrow, there's too much work waiting.

etky

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:54 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
I feel a bit like I'm butting in here but I always feel worse the day after. I recommend coconut water, esp. from fresh coconuts (as opposed to bottled, but that's good too). They have a lot of electrolytes and are v good for re hydration

So do I, though this year I didn't fast well either.
I always feel depleted and weak the day after a fast. I try to take it easy if I can. I don't do any physical activity that I don't have to. I find that if I rush back into my usual activity mode full throttle, even if I've fasted well, I inevitably come down with something a day or two later.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note