Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Pool Party?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:17 pm
My 6 year old daughter was invited to a pool party for this sunday. I am a little concerned about letting her go. She is just learning how to swim and when I asked the girls mother about the pool, she said it is a regular size in- ground pool, but that life jackets will be given out to the kids. I believe the pool party will be held at a family members home. The idea of my daughter being in a regular sized pool without any lifeguards present makes me a little nervous. My husband thinks its no big deal to let her go and that I am being too neurotic over this. Am I being too overbearing or are my nerves justified? I don't want my daughter to be upset if I don't let her go but I am worried about her safety. Has anyone ever let their children attend a pool party at this age?

sushi galore

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:20 pm
Check first with host if they'll have an on-site lifeguard. It's really important. Maybe you can suggest she bring one and offer to help pay. Maybe all parents should pay something towards one.

cbg

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:23 pm
How many kids are going?

If DD is at the shallow end, where does the water reach her.

I have a regular size pool, but my pool is only 4 ft. No deep end no shallow end, all around 4 ft. I live in Miami where these types of pools are common.

How many adults will be there, by the pool watching.

If she wears a life jacket, I think she'll be ok.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:23 pm
Let her go but stay and supervise (from afar). I assume that's what a lot of parents will do.
A big pool and a bunch of little kids who don't know how to swim....there needs to be a ton of adult supervision there. The birthday mom will be too busy to take much notice, that's for sure.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:25 pm
That's a very young age for a pool party with no lifeguard. I don't blame you for being concerned..This would not be okay with me.

Can you stay with your daughter at the party? Is that an option?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:25 pm
sushi galore wrote:
Check first with host if they'll have an on-site lifeguard. It's really important. Maybe you can suggest she bring one and offer to help pay. Maybe all parents should pay something towards one.

There won't be any lifeguards. The mother did said that there will be as many adults as children. It's a supposedly small group of girls ( around 6 girls) who will be attending the party.

abaker

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:27 pm
I'd just stay and watch. Not hover, just supervise from a far.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:27 pm
sushi galore wrote:

Whatt?? Why should OP offer to pay for a lifeguard for someone else's party? If you ask me, it's downright irresponsible to have a large group of six year olds in a large pool with no lifeguard. If you're hosting a pool party for children, a lifeguard should be part of the package. Sorry.

Simple1

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:28 pm
You're right, there should be lifeguards. Is it possible to find some certified older teen girls who can do this for a reasonable price and everyone chip in?

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:34 pm
I don't think you need lifeguards for a party with six kids in lifejackets (I was thinking 25 kids). But you do need very vigilant adults. Not sure I would trust teens for that.
If I were the mom, I would tell the other moms that they are welcome to come supervise their own children. That way the responsibility is somewhat off her shoulders.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:36 pm
parents should come with child ... I don't care how many other adults there are unless one of them is undressed & ready to save any of said children aka LIFEGUARD

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:38 pm
I would go and watch my child.

Simple1

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:40 pm
I agree with tablepoetry after reading op's last post

groovy1224

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:
There won't be any lifeguards. The mother did said that there will be as many adults as children. It's a supposedly small group of girls ( around 6 girls) who will be attending the party.

Okay for 6 girls maybe you can get by without a lifeguard. But I would still want to supervise from a distance, for my own piece of mind

EmpireState

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:36 pm
I am surprised that there's no lifeguard; in any case, I would absolutely go and supervise. Things can happen so quickly in a pool. I wouldn't depend on the mom saying that she will provide life vests. You don't know if these are certified (or whatever the proper term would be) vests. You should watch your daughter closely. It's very easy to get distracted if there are a bunch of moms standing around talking.
Don't worry about embarrassing your daughter. you will have plenty of time to do that when she's a teenager.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:57 pm
My concern with pools is that when there are lots of adults there "watching" then no one is actually watching. When we get together with family at my inlaws we designate one person at a time to be actively watching.

While I don't think a professional lifeguard is needed, I might ask the mom if you could stay for the party. I do not think that is an unreasonable request, especially with such young children who aren't strong swimmers yet.

Though I am pretty cautious about water safety and think that you can't be too vigilant. I had to pull my son out of a rip current this summer. If I were hosting a pool event I wouldn't object at all to parents who wanted to stay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children