Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Making a reservation- how to say it in Hebrew? (time sens.)
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 11:42 am
I learned my lesson last year about trying to get a table for two anywhere on Tu B'Av. How do you say "I'd like to make a reservation" in Hebrew, or however you request a table for a particular time?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 11:45 am
Almost everyone speaks a tiny bit of English, especially in places like restaurants and hotels.

Start out with "Slicha, at medaberet Anglit?" for a woman, or "Slicha, atah medaber Anglit?" for a man.

It means "Excuse me, do you speak English?" I find that this phrase will get you through 99% of all of your interactions. Very Happy

merelyme

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 11:50 am
Ani rotzah laasot hazmanah - I'd like to make a reservation (or order).
Anachnu shnei anashim v'rotzim lavo b'shaah ____ - we are two people (at least one of whom is male) and we'd like to come at ____ time.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 11:50 am
But I can manage the rest of it! And I don't want to be condescended to- I've been here several times longer than you, so olah chadasha excuses don't really fly.

This is just a situation we never covered in ulpan and that hasn't really come up in my life before since we so rarely go out for anything nicer than fast food. And even when we do, only on Tu B'Av do you seem to need a reservation.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 11:52 am
Efshar laasot hazmanah? (May I place an order?)

Efshar l'hazmin shulchan l'shtayim? (May I order a table for 2?)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 11:53 am
Thank you! (cross-posted with you, Merelyme)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 11:55 am
And done! Thank you all!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
But I can manage the rest of it! And I don't want to be condescended to- I've been here several times longer than you, so olah chadasha excuses don't really fly.

Well, excuse me!

You didn't mention in your OP that you were already fluent. I was only trying to help.

Rolling Eyes

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:30 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Well, excuse me!

You didn't mention in your OP that you were already fluent. I was only trying to help.

Rolling Eyes

FTR, I have no idea who hugged you, but it wasn't me- either post. I didn't mean that you were condescending, just that my experience is that I'll be condescended to by salespeople/servicepeople/teachers/nurses/you-name-it if the conversation moves to English.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
FTR, I have no idea who hugged you, but it wasn't me- either post. I didn't mean that you were condescending, just that my experience is that I'll be condescended to by salespeople/servicepeople/teachers/nurses/you-name-it if the conversation moves to English.

Funny, I've had the opposite experience. As soon as people find that I speak English, they get all excited and want to practice with me, when I really want to use my Ivrit! It's frustrating, because I specifically did not move to an Anglo bubble. I really want to integrate.

I feel like telling people that English tutors generally get paid for teaching, but I don't, because that would be really rude. I use Ivrit whenever I possibly can, and save my English for times when I am truly stuck for words.

If anyone has been condescending to me, I haven't noticed, and I wouldn't care, as long as it got me to where I wanted to be going. I just smile and say "Thank you".

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:49 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Funny, I've had the opposite experience. As soon as people find that I speak English, they get all excited and want to practice with me, when I really want to use my Ivrit! It's frustrating, because I specifically did not move to an Anglo bubble. I really want to integrate.

I feel like telling people that English tutors generally get paid for teaching, but I don't, because that would be really rude. I use Ivrit whenever I possibly can, and save my English for times when I am truly stuck for words.

If anyone has been condescending to me, I haven't noticed, and I wouldn't care, as long as it got me to where I wanted to be going. I just smile and say "Thank you".

That's how they are when they encounter Anglos less often. If it's someone with whom you have regular encounters, arrange to speak Hebrew, and them, English.

Marion

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:53 pm
Lhazmin makom.

"Laasot hazmana" marks you as an English speaker. Even if you were placing an order you would say "l'vatzea hazmana".

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:57 pm
Marion wrote:
Lhazmin makom.

"Laasot hazmana" marks you as an English speaker. Even if you were placing an order you would say "l'vatzea hazmana".

I disagree. I've been asked by Israeli salespeople if I want laasot hazmana. I've been here for over 2 decades, FWIW.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:
I disagree. I've been asked by Israeli salespeople if I want laasot hazmana. I've been here for over 2 decades, FWIW.
But at a restaurant?
I agree with marion. I didnt want to reply to anything because I thought I was wrong, but laasot hazmana does not sound correct at all.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 2:12 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
But at a restaurant?
I agree with marion. I didnt want to reply to anything because I thought I was wrong, but laasot hazmana does not sound correct at all.

You're right - I wasn't thinking about the details. If I were actually in the restaurant, I would just say, "Efshar l'hazmin?" and then place my order. If I were calling ahead of time, I would say, "Efshar l'hazmin shulchan?"

Marion

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:

Unfortunately I continue to be amazed by the number of Israelis who do not know how to speak Hebrew. They do not seem to teach grammar in school. (Disclaimer: Neither my 4th nor 5th graders have yet shown me any grammar work, and the spelling and conjugations I see in my FB groups is appalling. Looks like whole language and no language arts.)

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 3:12 pm
איפה בית הכסא

grace413

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 3:50 pm
greenfire wrote:
איפה בית הכסא

That will get you some funny looks.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 3:53 pm
greenfire wrote:
איפה בית הכסא
I went on a date with a guy, about 11 years ago, and he asked just that, to the waiter. Myself and the waiter actually looked at each other and had no idea what he was asking. Then the waiter figured it out and told my date where it was. Boy did the waiter and I have a great big laugh. Rolling Laughter

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 3:55 pm
I know someone who asked the guards at the kotel where the beis hakisei was. They brought him a chair. He assumed that soon someone would show him the bathroom, so he sat and waited for a while. Eventually he realized his message hadn't gotten across. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions