Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Terrible red diaper rash! Help!
1  2  Next

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:28 am
Putting lotrimin and corn starch and not helping! Baby is screeching!

SesameSeeds

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:31 am
My baby has extremely sensitive skin, when she had a terrible diaper rash I stopped using baby wipes. Within a few days it cleared away. The alcohol un the baby wipes irritates the skin. I also used Balmex which was the only thing that helped her. Good luck!

amazingmommy

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:35 am
That's hard,
I use coconut oil every time my son has a diaper rash and it works!

Stars

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:46 am
Pampers makes sensitive wipes which is the only thing that prevents rashes for us. Also letting the area air out for five minutes after every diaper change.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 9:24 am
Here's what I learned from my experiences with kids with various sensitive skin issues: Lotrimin is for a yeast or fungal infection. If that's not the problem, then it won't help and may even be painful.
Simply raw skin (red, from the irritation)--balmex is best.
Over-reacting skin (looks very dried out)--hydrocortisone is what you need.

It's also possible that there's a bacterial infection, for which you'd need bactriban (prescription only)

It might even be a combination--the original rash (which should've been treated with balmex) caused the skin to get dried out and sore (which should've been treated with hydrocortisone), and this breakage in the skin is what let the infection in, for which you'd need Bactriban. Had this once with one of my kids.

Bottom line, at this point you should probably take her into the pediatrician or dermatologist.

Maybe try balmex once, and you should see immediate improvement. Otherwise, take her in because it may be infected.

momsrus

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 9:36 am
When my daughter had a bad rash My pediatrician said to let her take a nap with no diaper. Then throw everything minus kid into the washing machine. It went away after that.

Zeleze

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 11:59 am
change to a better more expensive type

Try Balmex

MyUsername

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 12:35 pm
My daughter had super sensitive skin as a baby and an almost constant diaper rash that was so bad it bled. Here's what worked for us:
1) Use only diaper rash creams that have zinc oxide: balmex and desitin are both great. If the rash bleeds, this is especially important.
2) Don't use any other creams at all. And especially don't use antifungals or antibacterials unless a doctor tells you too. They can make some diaper rashes worse.
3) Don't use any baby wipes at all - use cotton balls with baby oil or plain water (then pat dry with more cotton balls). Even the sensitive baby wipes are irritating to a diaper rash.
4) Make sure the inside of the diapers is white. When my daughter was little, the pampers were blue on the inside, but the huggies were white. When we used huggies, her rash got better, and every time we switched to pampers, her rash got worse or came back.
5) After every diaper change, give your baby afew minutes to dry out / air out.
6) Even better is to give your baby 1 hour a day to air out without a diaper.
7) If there are any unusual bumps, inflammation, discoloration (e.g. yellow or white), crusting, or bleeding, go see a doctor within 24 hours.
8) If you try all of the above and the rash doesn't begin to improve within a few days, go to the doctor.

Good luck!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 12:45 pm
My son had recurring diaper rashes. Dr recommend using organic pampers, it really helped. I use babyganics brand. Their wipes are also better because they are water based.

Miri7

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 12:48 pm
Go see the doctor. Until then Stop with the corn starch or any powder.

Rinse bottom in sink or tub. Pat dry. As others said, let the baby air dry. I put an old shower curtain down on the floor with a big blanket on top and let the baby play there. Do this as much as you can. Put zinc diaper cream on. I loved Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Smells better than desitin.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:15 pm
Definitely allow lots of exposure to the air and when the baby is wearing diapers, put some olive oil on the rash. It actually works wonders.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:35 pm
I have heard that some pediatricians recommend silverdine, which is a cream usually used for burns. U might need a prescription for it. Lots of people have it home from previous medical situations. It supposedly works wonders. Good luck!

cm

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:

Over-reacting skin (looks very dried out)--hydrocortisone is what you need.

Bottom line, at this point you should probably take her into the pediatrician or dermatologist.

Absolutely agree with going to the ped.

Hydrocortisone is indeed useful for certain rashes, but see the doc first. It can do more harm than good if used inappropriately, and under a diaper the effects are magnified. At one point our doc recommended mixing a very low dose of cortisone with another medicine, so the final concentration was far lower than the usual OTC dose.

octopus

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
I have heard that some pediatricians recommend silverdine, which is a cream usually used for burns. U might need a prescription for it. Lots of people have it home from previous medical situations. It supposedly works wonders. Good luck!

my previous ped said dab of lotrimin 2x a day with small amount of silvadine on top (2x a day). worked wonders.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:58 pm
I found that this works for my son. My Dr prescribed rx for mycolog ointment and pedi dri which is nystatin powder I kept alternating with each diaper change. Good luck!!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 2:06 pm
I would go to the doc and have the rash cultured. G-d forbid it could be MRSA or something, and you're putting stuff on it that will only make it worse.

Let the doctor suggest what is appropriate treatment. Just because things work for one kid, doesn't mean it will work for yours. In the meantime, I agree with keeping the area clean and dry, and stop putting ANYTHING on the rash except a clean diaper.

Keep a food log for your child as well, in case its an allergy. If exclusively BF, keep a food log for yourself. My brother was deathly allergic to citric acid, and it caused bleeding blisters in his diapers. No cream in the world would fix it, until his diet was fixed.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 2:09 pm
Go to the dr. It got also be a fungus and not go away without meds.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:55 pm
Start off with clean skin. Give baby a bath and make sure s/he is clean. (Don't use much baby soap on the direct area, just let baby soak in a bath. Use baking soda in the tub if s/he needs soothing relief and wash down the rest of baby's body with baby soap.) 
Now smear clotrimazole/lotrimin cream lightly over raw areas. Top with heavy hand of triple paste. Seal it all in with pure cornstarch (like from your kitchen). Put baby to bed and by morning it should start looking better. 
Repeat the layers of cream and powder with every diaper change, but use the clotrimazole part only 3 times a day. And make sure baby is getting a bath each night and pamper is being layered up directly after the bath, because that is when the real healing happens. 
Hugs! I know what this is like.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:03 pm
Diaper rashes can be fungal , bacterial or a result of sensitive skin. Nobody mentioned BUTT PASTE, I used that a lot and found it very helpful. Change wet diapers often and let the baby's bottom "air out" ...I let them crawl around without a diaper on if the rash was really bad and just cleaned up the mess if they made on the floor. KEEP IN MIND SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO TAKE THE CHILD TO THE DOCTOR. I've had kids with diaper rashes that would not heal , one child was diagnosed by a dermatologist as Atopic. He actually told me to bathe the baby every day and while his skin was wet to smear him with a concoction of Aveeno and Hydro-cortisone which he had a pharmacy create via prescription. Also I've had babies with diaper rashes that were Strep infections. So if it doesn't heal in a couple of days have your baby seen by a doc.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:24 pm
Two cautions regarding diaper rashes:

1. Overuse of hydrocortizone can cause horrible suffering the future. It can actually damage the skin. Use very, very infrequently and only when there is no other option. Hydrocortizone can even lead to a steroid addiction.

2. Some children have a fish allergy, and if the child is not yet eating, you may not be aware of it. A&D, Desitin, and perhaps others contain fish oil. That can upset and even lead to a sever reaction ch"v.

Also, if you see little red bumps in the diaper rash, it is often a sign of a yeast infection.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics