Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Need help with my cholent!

sv123

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 12:23 pm
I have a really good recipe for my cholent that always comes out tasting great, my main issue is that no matter what cut of meat I buy, it ALWAYS dries up and is hard to eat. I think the problem is that my crockpot only has three settings: high, low, and automatic... so my cholent is literally cooking nonstop and overcooks the meat by the time the meal starts.
I put it up Friday morning and switch it to low right before Shabbos, but it doesn't seem to help. What else can I do? Any advice or tips welcome! Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 2:24 pm
sv123 wrote:
I have a really good recipe for my cholent that always comes out tasting great, my main issue is that no matter what cut of meat I buy, it ALWAYS dries up and is hard to eat. I think the problem is that my crockpot only has three settings: high,no low, and automatic... so my cholent is literally cooking nonstop and overcooks the meat by the time the meal starts.
I put it up Friday morning and switch it to low right before Shabbos, but it doesn't seem to help. What else can I do? Any advice or tips welcome! Thanks!

I would suggest you cook the cholent on low setting only and only start it Friday at noon. In addition, add the meat last, let it sit on top, and do not mix it in.

Queen18

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 2:25 pm
Have you tried cheek?

sourstix

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 2:37 pm
I second cheek meat. The only thing that doesn't dry out. Everything else dries out. It cold for so many hrs!

momaleh

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 2:42 pm
I put my cholent up right before shabbos with frozen meat.

cbg

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 2:44 pm
What would happen if you freeze the meat raw, and put the meat in last minute raw frozen. I don't make cholent so l don't know how that would come out. Also use a fatty cut.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:42 pm
I have found if you put the meat at the bottom of the crockpot it is softer than when it's on the top of the crockpot because the liquid tends to cook out a little. I also agree with those that say to put the crockpot on the low setting right away. My father gave me his cholent recipe when I got married and his instructions were cook in crockpot on HI for 4 hours than reduce setting to LOW after that.

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:44 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I would suggest you cook the cholent on low setting only and only start it Friday at noon. In addition, add the meat last, let it sit on top, and do not mix it in.

I do this like ra_mom and the meat always comes out soft, and the cholent doesn't taste too overcooked.

willymom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:57 pm
Make sure the meat is not completely covered with water..because that will 'boil' it and make it dry..

cheerios

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:47 pm
cbg wrote:
What would happen if you freeze the meat raw, and put the meat in last minute raw frozen. I don't make cholent so l don't know how that would come out. Also use a fatty cut.

I've learned it has to be at least partially (halfway?) cooked before Shabbos so AYLOR about using raw frozen meat.

imamothertoo

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:50 pm
I'm not a rabbi so ask ur own rabbi. But I think it either has to b cooked enough to b eaten or totally raw and unacceptable for eating

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:55 pm
I make my cholent friday morning. I put it on high and then like 6 hours later move it to low. I never ever had dried out meat. The water always covers the food completely. What meat do you use?

zohar

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:04 pm
sear it that will lock in the juices
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics