Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you listen to everything your pediatrician tells you?
1  2  Next

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 3:25 pm
I hate the idea of going against what a doctor says but sometimes, especially in pediatrics, I've noticed that doctors tend to look at what's in the book and not at the patient. There are many things that our pediatrician has told me that I never listened to. Just to give a small example, when my daughter was 2, I was told to switch her from whole milk to 2 percent. My now 6 year old still drinks whole milk because I never believed that a skinny little girl should have 2 percent milk. I was told by our pediatrician that according to the AMA, children should switch to 2 percent milk by the age of 2 to prevent obesity. Maybe I am wrong, but this is one thing I disagree with. If I believe my daughter should gain weight, I will continue to give her whole milk. Anyway, this post is not about the milk. It's about the fact that my pediatrician based his facts on the AMA and not on my child. Does anyone else feel this way? That doctors tend to go by the book and not by the patient? Is it because they are afraid of malpractice suits? Or is it just me? Am I the only one who feels this way? I find myself doing the opposite of what the pediatrician tells me to do dometimes because I don't necessarily agree with them. I just don't think doctors are always right. I don't have a medical degree or claim to know anything about medicine but sometimes I just have to trust my instincts . Anyone else feel the same way?

groovy1224

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 3:37 pm
I agree. I view my pediatrician as a partner when it comes to the health and welfare of my children, but by no means is he my boss. When it comes to an illness or treatments, I'm more likely to follow his word because he obviously is trained to do that, but when it comes to "common sense" areas, I take his advice, but ultimately may or may not follow it depending on whether I agree it's appropriate for my child.

e.g. Food should never be used as a reward for good behavior, because kids should not learn to reward themselves with food. Overall very true, and excellent advice, but if the kid and the family has an overall healthy relationship with food, there's no problem giving your kid a hershey kiss because they behaved nicely at the park.

Stars

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 3:49 pm
For most part yes. I chose my pediatrician because I trust her, and her advice has proven itself as great over and over again.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 3:52 pm
"I don't have a medical degree or claim to know anything about medicine but sometimes I just have to trust my instincts . Anyone else feel the same way?[/quote]

I definitely do NOT listen to my kids' pediatrician. I do my own "research." I make decisions solely based on what other moms say, especially ones on natural-mommy -type blogs. If my doctor says something is safe, but my friend's aunt's babysitter says something is toxic, I will STEER CLEAR. There is nothing better than hearsay and scaremongering when it comes to your children's health. Doctors may have completed between 8-15 years of training, but I read the Internet! Therefore, Mom knows best.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 3:56 pm
Your pediatrician sounds like he hasn't been keeping up with the latest research. The American Academy of Pediatrics revised that recommendation and no longer recommends stopping whole milk at any age, because the latest research shows that whole milk does NOT cause obesity and likely helps prevent it. I do follow my pediatrician because I trust him. He is always up on the latest developments. He has never bothered me about my kids being too skinny (he has eyes, he can see I'm petite) or because of really anything not going by the book. While I think it's fair to question your pediatrician if you want to know more about his recommendations, if you find yourself going against him on more than 1 or 2 issues, maybe it's time to find someone you mesh better with.

penguin

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:01 pm
Okay, yellow, I hope you have pulled in your claws.

You are ignoring the fact that doctors get what? 2 hours of training on nutrition, for example! And then there are the male docs who are going to advise you re: breastfeeding. Really expert, right?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:05 pm
penguin wrote:
Okay, yellow, I hope you have pulled in your claws.

You are ignoring the fact that doctors get what? 2 hours of training on nutrition, for example! And then there are the male docs who are going to advise you re: breastfeeding. Really expert, right?

*smacks forehead* you're right. Doctors are morons! 🙄

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:55 pm
Some doctors ARE morons.

I do not listen to everything they say by any stretch of the imagination.

Much of what they say has nothing to do with training or medical school, but is based on the results of outdated studies done while they were in school. Believe it or not, I can read studies too!

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:07 pm
Some doctors ARE morons.

Also some teachers, some lawyers, some therapists.....

If your doctor is a moron and you think he has nothing valuable to teach you PLEASE find another doctor! It shouldn't be that way. Not ALL doctors are morons.

tf

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:26 pm
Totally true. Trust your gut. Drs are forced to go by the book because of malpractice. They'd rather stuff ppl with what the book says than use common sense. I know I'll be bashed for what I'm saying, but from my experience, and weighing pros and cons, this is what I've concluded. I use homeopathy, and seen amazing results.
Don't think I NEVER use a Dr. I use them when I know that what they'll tell me is true for me and I'll listen to them.

rachaelle

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:34 pm
Sorry, what's AMA?

imamothertoo

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:44 pm
AMA. Against Medical Advice

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:44 pm
Part of your role as amother is to advocate for your kiddies. So I would say to your doc "my kid is very skinny, don't you think she should continue on full fat milk?" (FTR doctors in my country recommend on full fat milk till age 5, but that's because of some study or another that was done to prove it healthy nutrition wise, not because doctors are nutritionists.) I like to question doctors like that and I havent come across one who says "no ma'am my book says..." they tend to agree with what you say.

I would never ever follow blindly the recommendation of a doctor without knowing all I can on my own first. EG my eldest needed grommets because he couldn't hear well. The doctor first said, "nah he's too young, wait a few months and you will see a difference." I insisted on a referal to an audiologist who confirmed an ENT surgeon was required. Had I waited my poor child wouldve been significantly behind socially. THEN I went to see ENT who said he will insert grommets and remove adenoids as part of the procedure. Well you bet my a** I said no. I asked if there was an issue with adenoids and he said? "Well no, but it's better to remove them at the same time as in the future a small percentage of kids with grommets need adenoids removed!" You kidding me? I told him the adenoids are staying. His adenoids never proved to be an issue.

When my kid had a "probably viral" infection they prescribes antibiotic just in case. I told them when they can be sure of a bacterial infection "my kid can have the antibiotics but until then, aren't you just harming an already struggling immune system?" "Yes you're right. Let's wait and see." Again it turned out not to be needed-BUT I armed myself full of information of signs and symptoms to look out for which would cause me to seek medical help just in case. Doctors aren't Gods. They aren't magicians and they are humans. The ones who recognise parents as the ones who know their kid best make the best pediatricians IMO.

Doctors go by the book but are happy to listen to the voice of parents. Just voice it Smile

imamothertoo

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:48 pm
Oops. In this case American medical association

amother
Yellow

[quote="tf"]Totally true. Trust your gut. Drs are forced to go by the book because of malpractice. They'd rather stuff ppl with what the book says than use common sense. I know I'll be bashed for what I'm saying, but from my experience, and weighing pros and cons, this is what I've concluded. I use homeopathy, and seen amazing results.
Don't think I NEVER use a Dr. I use them when I know that what they'll tell me is true for me and I'll listen to them.[/quote

Homeopathy is snake oil, but if the placebo effect worked for you, 👍🏼

rachaelle

Thanks!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:57 pm
If not for my pediatrician my baby wouldn't be here today chv so yes I do listen to every word he says...

pond user

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:00 pm
[quote="amother"]
tf wrote:
Totally true. Trust your gut. Drs are forced to go by the book because of malpractice. They'd rather stuff ppl with what the book says than use common sense. I know I'll be bashed for what I'm saying, but from my experience, and weighing pros and cons, this is what I've concluded. I use homeopathy, and seen amazing results.
Don't think I NEVER use a Dr. I use them when I know that what they'll tell me is true for me and I'll listen to them.[/quote

Homeopathy is snake oil, but if the placebo effect worked for you, 👍🏼

I wonder if you're aware of what's in your medication?

Amother yellow why don't you use your user name whilst you bash natural health? It'll give you a little more credibility.

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:19 pm
pond user wrote:
I wonder if you're aware of what's in your medication?

Amother yellow why don't you use your user name whilst you bash natural health? It'll give you a little more credibility.

Yellow here. I remember you, pond user. I heard if you do a coconut oil enema you don't need to vaccinate.

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Some doctors ARE morons.

Also some teachers, some lawyers, some therapists.....

If your doctor is a moron and you think he has nothing valuable to teach you PLEASE find another doctor! It shouldn't be that way. Not ALL doctors are morons.

Yes. Some doctors are morons. If you happen to be visiting a doctor that seems like a moron, it's time to find another doctor.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics