Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Wheres good places to sell used college books, in B'klyn/NYC

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 3:53 pm
Wheres good places to sell used college books, in Brooklyn or NYC?

I have loads of textbooks, and Id prefer not to deal with shipping, etc.

Which bookstores that buy used textbooks, are fair to deal with?

I read here that Amazon and Ebay you have to pay comissions, but Craigslist you have to deal directly with buyer if youre not shipping, and who knows who that is...

What do most do thats easy?

BrazenGirl

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:09 pm
Without shipping the easiest way to unload textbooks is to resell them to other students taking the same classes in your school. You can usually find them in facebook groups or other college forums. Now if you have already left school or are on entirely different school schedule than your prospective buyers then it might be difficult to meet up with them. I have sold many textbooks on half.com and locally through facebook.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:13 pm
BrazenGirl wrote:
Without shipping the easiest way to unload textbooks is to resell them to other students taking the same classes in your school. You can usually find them in facebook groups or other college forums. Now if you have already left school or are on entirely different school schedule than your prospective buyers then it might be difficult to meet up with them. I have sold many textbooks on half.com and locally through facebook.

How long does it take to open up a sellers account on Half.com and will people buy from a first time seller?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:25 pm
You would have to deal with shipping on Half.com.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:35 pm
Are the books current. Because f they aren't currently used, they are of no value.

If yiu don't want to ship see if a college bookstore will take them. You will get less but yiu won't have any hassle.

It's hard to sell textbooks on Amazon unless they are exceptionally valuable because you will lose money in shipping as they are heavy.

BrazenGirl

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:44 pm
If you already have an ebay account then opening a half.com is a snap as it is an extension of the same account. If you are starting from scratch it may a few minutes to set up. Im not sure if you have to verify with a bank account. That could take a day or two. Posting books for sale takes a minute or two. Use the isbn to look up the book and set a price, gauge the condition and write a short description if necessary.

I would buy from someone with little or no feedback if the price was low and I though I was going to get it quickly. Just a proviso, they take a commission on shipping. So you may lose money on that especially if the book is very heavy. I also stopped offering express shipping as that also ate up profits. And I also stopped selling books that wewre under $10. Wasnt worht the trip to the post office. I always tried to keep my prices very low so that they showed up on the first page. Half the time my buyers were book sellers who were preselling my books and having me drop ship it to their customers which really pissed me off!

PAMOM

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:09 pm
Jet black, do you have novels?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics