Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How much to upgrade diamond

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:28 pm
I have a 1 karat diamond in my engagement ring and I would love to upgrade to a 1.5 karat. How much would it cost if I would want to sell my diamond and buy a new one?
I have no idea what the rating of my diamond is.
thanks

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:31 pm
selling a diamond will go for 1/3 of the price you bought it or perhaps it's 1/3 the current value ... buying one will be significantly higher

trixx

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:48 pm
You wouldn't get much for the diamond, especially under 1 carat. The only worth that diamond has is sentimental. You're better off turning it into a pendant and just buying a new diamond, than making a few hundred dollars when your in-laws (or dh himself) spent a few thousand on it.

Also, under 1 carat (unless it's .5, but say even .7 or .8) to 1.5 is not worth the price jump, in my opinion. Like if you're going to pay the huge increase that happens once you hit a carat, might as well add just a little bit more and get a 2 carat. In other words, for not much more finger space or visible increase, you are going to pay 2.5 times what your original stone cost. And don't forget that as soon as you walk out of the store with that new diamond, it has lost all its value. Again, a diamond is only worth what the consumer will pay for it. It is not an investment. You do not get back money for it.

If you just want your center stone to look bigger, what about a halo or even double or triple halo? I'm not a general fan of them but it's a much more cost-effective way to play up a stone that you already have.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 12:32 pm
how much is a 2 karat diamond?

cnc

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
how much is a 2 karat diamond?

It depends on the cut and clarity.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 12:35 pm
somewhere in the middle range...

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 1:01 pm
I really don't understand why you would want to do this. Your DH bought you the diamond you are wearing. Why would you sell it to get something bigger? To me the diamond is a symbol of something MUCH bigger, and to have a different diamond would mean all of the symbolism was lost.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 1:03 pm
can you please leave me alone if you can't answer my original question?
my husband himself wants to buy me a bigger diamond.

trixx

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 1:06 pm
You would need to start calling jewelers up. there is no average price just like there's no average price for a car. what make, model, year? how many seats? what kind of damage? used or unused? etc

same with diamonds - what cut (shape), clarity, color, level of flaws, even within those two similar dimaonds on paper will be vastly different in person and be priced differently.

except it also very much matters which jeweler you purchase it from. Tiffany's is known to have 80% markup. Each place in the Diamond District will give you a different quote. If you want to start getting quotes google their official website of listed vendors and just start calling.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
can you please leave me alone if you can't answer my original question?
my husband himself wants to buy me a bigger diamond.

Ok. Makes sense then. And sorry that I upset you and I can't answer the question.

Gmar tov.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 1:16 pm
You should also look at Costco. Yes, Costco. According to a friend of a friend, who is retired from the diamond business.

But a decent 2 ct. stone will probably cost you in the $15,000 to $30,000 range.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics